Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

who rides a motorcycle

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

who rides a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 08:50 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seth10015
Sorry if I missed if you said it, but are you riding on the motorcycle with you wife.
Absolutely...

She enjoys motorcycling as much as cycling, and we both prefer to ride two-up as often as we can.

She enjoyed riding on the back of my Honda CBR1100 "GT" for day trips into the mountains, but balked a bit when the Honda had to be replaced and I switched to a BMW Sport Touring bike (R1100S). I bought a second BMW -- a larger R1150RT Sport Touring bike and she absolutely did not enjoy the upright touring experience in full gear, etc. When I asked what her idea of the perfect bike was she said without hesitation, a Harley.

We started out on a 2011 Dyna Wide Glide and put about 8,000 miles on it including quite a few 300+ mile trips to Panama City Beach. However, as much as we enjoyed that I decided that we'd need a bigger bike with cruise, etc., since we found ourselves doing a lot of those long trips on what was essentially a cruiser. So, we ended up adding a 2013 Road King CVO to our stable. The first one had 18,000 miles on it when a motorist decided to run us down and totaled it. We replaced it with an identical one and have put 8,000 miles on it, the most recent 2,000 of which was put on riding from Atlanta to Key West over the 4th of July week. It's become an annual trip for us. This is a photo of our current Road King with our Bushtec trailer.

Your results may vary.
Old 08-19-16, 05:50 AM
seth10015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Absolutely...

She enjoys motorcycling as much as cycling, and we both prefer to ride two-up as often as we can.

She enjoyed riding on the back of my Honda CBR1100 "GT" for day trips into the mountains, but balked a bit when the Honda had to be replaced and I switched to a BMW Sport Touring bike (R1100S). I bought a second BMW -- a larger R1150RT Sport Touring bike and she absolutely did not enjoy the upright touring experience in full gear, etc. When I asked what her idea of the perfect bike was she said without hesitation, a Harley.

We started out on a 2011 Dyna Wide Glide and put about 8,000 miles on it including quite a few 300+ mile trips to Panama City Beach. However, as much as we enjoyed that I decided that we'd need a bigger bike with cruise, etc., since we found ourselves doing a lot of those long trips on what was essentially a cruiser. So, we ended up adding a 2013 Road King CVO to our stable. The first one had 18,000 miles on it when a motorist decided to run us down and totaled it. We replaced it with an identical one and have put 8,000 miles on it, the most recent 2,000 of which was put on riding from Atlanta to Key West over the 4th of July week. It's become an annual trip for us. This is a photo of our current Road King with our Bushtec trailer.

Your results may vary.
Thanks for your reply
Beautiful Bike & Great pictures!
I too was thinking about the sport touring, full gear all the time route. A lot to think about.
At least the prices seem fair compared to a high end tandem.
Ride safe
Seth
Old 08-19-16, 04:30 PM
Scraper

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count us in!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fd9w68l93ngp8hd/GW6rxSmfza

Last edited by Scraper; 08-21-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 02:02 PM
Ammoyankee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Two wheel love...

I currently own a 2006 Harley Street Glide and for around town fun, I have a 2006 Husqvarna SM610!
Old 01-02-18, 06:13 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
My other ride, usually alone:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-18, 12:06 PM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My spouse and I ride a BMW K1600GTL. Nice bike, very comfy for her, and a great all around bike.
Old 01-04-18, 06:43 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wife has no issues riding the road tandem or mountain tandem, but wants nothing to do with riding on the back of a two wheel motorcycle. She decided we needed a Can Am Spyder. Myself, yes, I have some two wheeled motorcycles, some are tagged to be street ridden if needed, others are not.

Three wheeled is the 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS with a Can Am RT622 Trailer. Two wheeled, 2003 KTM250exc tagged woods bike, a 1973 OSSA MAR Trials bike I restomodded, it to is street tagged, a 2005 Scorpa SY250 trials bike, and a 1981 KTM495mc, last year of the twin shock 495 that may someday go back together.
Old 01-06-18, 12:38 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
interesting thread dredged from the archives... i have not yet ridden a tandem, but that looks to be changing in a few months. i'm on my 7th moto, it's a Kawasaki Versys, but it currently sits on track stands and has been for over two years. i haven't had any moto tours on the agenda the last two years and my commute is too short to ride. i have been trying to get more bicycle miles, so it wasn't going to get much use on the weekends. therefore, i just left it winterized thru the summer... twice. wifey has ridden with me a couple of times, back in 2015, and enjoyed it. she has suggested that i blow the dust off this year. she is also pretty excited about the tandem idea.

> bottom line up front: safety on the moto is 90% strategy, 9% skills, 1% gear.

a few thoughts come to mind when i read about people taking themselves out of the game for reasons other than marital bliss. not all riders have equal odds of having a mishap while motorcycling. obviously we vary on our experience, but i learned while teaching the MSF rider course in CT that miles in the saddle by itself does not count for much, so many people are surviving on luck. we vary in the skills necessary to operate the machine but also in our approach to riding. the best riders have thoughtful strategies for accident avoidance... speed, relative speed, lane choice, lane position, relative position, riding gear, apparel color/reflectivity... a thoughtful rider is more active in his or her own safety and will be good at identifying potential threats and maneuvering in such a way to minimize the threat proactively, not reactively. still, no on his crushproof. a thoughtful rider who does manage find trouble on the road will analyze it, not like a police officer tasked with assigning fault, but like a motorcyclist, and will figure out where a different choice would have prevented the mishap.

personally, when thinking of safety and riding bikes, comparing road, mountain and moto... i think that i am most likely to crash while on the mountain bike but most likely to be injured or killed while on the road bike... i feel safest on the motorbike.

Last edited by kevrider; 01-06-18 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jay Leno Does, he has several.
Old 01-15-18, 02:58 PM
Heidelfix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I own a BMW R100R Mystic, the old 2-valve / air-cooled model. Though I have not taken a ride since my little daughter was born six years ago.