Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

The Fatbike UN Sticky

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.
View Poll Results: What's in store for your Fat Bike this Summer?
Store the Fattie until next season
7.14%
Sell the road bike(s) and ride Fat year-round
7.14%
Mix it up between my bikes
85.71%
Dump the Fattie, 'cos it didn't work out
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The Fatbike UN Sticky

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 04:53 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
Just some random stuff on fat biking -

I started biking this Spring after too many years of insufficient exercise and activity. I started to like it, and the nice side-effect was that I started to lose some weight.

All through summer I've been worried about the coming winter season. Last year it seemed like we had 6 months of cold and snow, and that's not far off the truth (here in N. Wisc.) For the last 17 years (the time I've lived in WI) I've hibernated during winter, gained a lot of weight and had a real 'sluggish' start to spring!

So I've been determined to avoid that this year.

Inspired by people like @scrming and @SHOFINE I went out and bought a fat bike last week! It isn't the one I really wanted (I wanted a Farley 6) but I just couldn't justify the extra money at this point, not until I see if it will stick.

The bike is a Charge Cooker Maxi 2 - here's a couple pics:

So I've only had the thing a week and it's a complete blast!

It's not without its little quirks but the sheer fun factor outweighs the minor irritations.

I've ordered new riser bars, a shorter stem and new pedals to hopefully give me a more comfortable fit. They should be here any day now.

I've slowly been picking up winter clothing and that's been a little hit and miss. Ordering online is good for bargains but it's a pain when you have to send stuff back that doesn't fit. And the return shipping cost soon start to cut into the discounts.

One project I'm having some fun with is making my own trail. To ride off-road I've been throwing the bike on the car and driving the 10-12 minutes to the State Park here in town. No big deal but when it's snowy and crappy out I'm gonna feel less inclined to get the car out. I have a 20 acre wooded lot here that's heavily overgrown in the summer but actually looks quite sparse in the winter. My land butts into a small wooded area with a very lightly used snowmobile trail and some walking trails. So I'm in the process of making my own fat bike trail! I took an old push mower out and had a 0.25m section cleared in a couple hrs. It's rough land, lots of tree roots and the like - ideal for fat biking!. I plan to do more this weekend and extend the trail on my own land so it runs into the existing trails on the adjacent land. When I'm done I could have a circuit that's close to 2 miles per lap. If I can keep it clear when the snow falls it's going to be a blast.

Anyway, fat biking is a lot of fun. Anyone who is on the fence should try to rent one from a LBS and see how they ride. Sure, they're not as nimble as a MTB and there's more effort needed, but for plain old fun and a good workout they're hard to beat.

Would love to see this section take off on the forum! Anyone with any thoughts/experiences on Fat Bikes, please share...

Cheers
WOW! How very cool! Man, your own trail out your own back door.... seriously jealous! LOL! The local state park i ride is 4.5 miles away via side streets. I've actually ridden the Farley out there a couple times vs putting it in the truck... it actually wasn't bad at all... we have a lot of cracked, broken and uneven cement streets here and the Farley just soaked it all up! LOL

Been slowly working on my cold weather apparel also... i'm trying to buy everything local since i'm oddly proportioned and not sure how well things will fit...

And finally... I was seriously nervous about spending so much money on the Farley 6... I have never spent so much money on a bike! But at the end of the day, the Farley actually makes me want to get out and RIDE MORE and PUSH MYSELF harder than i ever did on my road bike! The Farley has gone well beyond my expectations!!!
Old 10-30-14, 07:44 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some fantastic rides in this thread and I've started looking around for a fatbike to ride on the beach here and some moderate trails (mostly everything is flat here, but lots of sand). I ran across the Origin8 Crawler and quite frankly, this one has piqued my interest, particularly with it's unique drivetrain. Does anyone on here have any experience with this bike? I'd like to hear some opinions and real life experiences as information around the web is spotty at best.

Last edited by FLJeepGuy; 10-30-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 08:06 AM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy
There are some fantastic rides in this thread and I've started looking around for a fatbike to ride on the beach here and some moderate trails (mostly everything is flat here, but lots of sand). I ran across the Origin8 Crawler and quite frankly, this one has piqued my interest, particularly with it's unique drivetrain. Does anyone on here have any experience with this bike? I'd like to hear some opinions and real life experiences as information around the web is spotty at best.

Only experience i have with the Crawler was a very very short test ride at the LBS... The drivetrain is definitely unique... It was actually pretty cool! In fact I almost went with the Crawler... That being said, now that i have got some experience on the trails, i'm not sure how easily i could manage twisting the grip while in the midst of a tough climb vs just banging a thumb shifter... I will say the one i tested was a 2014 model and the LBS had a pretty good price on it....
Old 10-30-14, 08:17 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming
WOW! How very cool! Man, your own trail out your own back door.... seriously jealous! LOL!
Yeah, I'm loony in the head, as the wife likes to point out

It's just another example of what this crazy hobby does to us...or some of us...

I rode to the Park yesterday and hit the trails for an hour. It's the first time I've ridden the fat bike on the main highway here in town and boy did I get some looks!

Waiting on DHL today to deliver my new riser bars, stem and pedals. Too fun.
Old 10-30-14, 08:25 AM
bruised

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming
That being said, now that i have got some experience on the trails, i'm not sure how easily i could manage twisting the grip while in the midst of a tough climb vs just banging a thumb shifter...
I was thinking about this same thing too. There was a Specialized Fat Boy on Craigs with twist shifters. They claim it's easier to shift with gloves on. I've been a bit worried about the glove thing myself, but it hasn't been an issue yet. Maybe when I switch the larger Mitts. I rode my wife's old bike for a while with twist shifters and I don't recall any issues with unintended shifting, though I wasn't really doing much off-road with it.

The Crawler looks like a nice bike for sand. Sorry I can't add anything more than that, I've just never seen one around here. The website says this, which is certainly appealing: the NuVinci hub is an interesting choice especially for those wanting a maintenance free drivetrain. We’ve ridden the NuVinci on a few other fat-bikes and like the combo.
Old 10-30-14, 11:13 AM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about this same thing too. There was a Specialized Fat Boy on Craigs with twist shifters. They claim it's easier to shift with gloves on. I've been a bit worried about the glove thing myself, but it hasn't been an issue yet. Maybe when I switch the larger Mitts. I rode my wife's old bike for a while with twist shifters and I don't recall any issues with unintended shifting, though I wasn't really doing much off-road with it.

The Crawler looks like a nice bike for sand. Sorry I can't add anything more than that, I've just never seen one around here. The website says this, which is certainly appealing: the NuVinci hub is an interesting choice especially for those wanting a maintenance free drivetrain. We’ve ridden the NuVinci on a few other fat-bikes and like the combo.
One thing about the Nuvinci is the grip shift is not indexed, since it has the "infinite" gearing adjustability thing... i really didn't pay to much attention to how much of a twist it takes to get from one end of the gear range to the other.end.... On the Farley i know i can get from one end to the other with just a couple of long thumb pushes....

Of course one thing i was just thinking of... on some of the more tougher climbs on the trails i've had so far, that involve roots, rocks and turns, have me hanging onto the grips pretty tight... and even when i have a death grip on them i can still work my thumb easily to shift... with a grip shifter, i guessing I would to loosen my grip a bit to turn the shifter... I'm sure it's not an issue, but just something i was just thinking about..

I'm guessing once you got used to the NuVinci, it would be fine...
Old 10-30-14, 11:20 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luckily there are minimal elevation changes here. Most of the stuff is more technical (logs and rocks, narrow bridges, etc.), and of course the loose sand. This pretty much eliminates the twist versus thumb shifter issue for me; either would work well. I'm looking more towards beach riding, etc. which I hope would be pretty compatible with the NuVinci. I just wish Origin8 would offer the frame in some other colors. The black, white, shades of gray trend right now is getting old. Even my Specialized is matte black with gloss gray decals.
Old 10-30-14, 01:25 PM
bruised

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy
I just wish Origin8 would offer the frame in some other colors. The black, white, shades of gray trend right now is getting old. Even my Specialized is matte black with gloss gray decals.
Yeah, I agree, unless it's a full carbon bike I want to see a bit of color and bling.

I just got the parts today for my Charge Cooker. Ordered new riser bars, stem and pedals and decided to break away from the matte black finish that came with the bike. Also added a new seat and bottle holder.

I may have gone overboard, I'm not sure yet

Old 10-30-14, 01:49 PM
Midtown

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought this used. When the guy I bought it from brought it to his LBS to have it tuned up for me a crack in the frame was found. Surly gave him a new frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010002 (1280x960).jpg (99.5 KB, 292 views)
Old 10-30-14, 03:12 PM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I agree, unless it's a full carbon bike I want to see a bit of color and bling.

I just got the parts today for my Charge Cooker. Ordered new riser bars, stem and pedals and decided to break away from the matte black finish that came with the bike. Also added a new seat and bottle holder.

I may have gone overboard, I'm not sure yet

Not overboard all! I like it! Now, do you have matching clothes?
Old 11-03-14, 11:39 PM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts

Inspired by people like @scrming and @SHOFINE I went out and bought a fat bike last week!

That's a mighty fine steel fat bike you got! It's amazing at the number of fat bikes that's came out since I got my fatty a little over a year ago. I kinda glad I got mine when I did cause I don't know what I would have wound up with! I am so happy with what I got though.

I've never cared about weight on a bike before but it's been fun getting this bike lighter than my Sawyer and nearly as light as my Kona. I just installed a Race Face Turbine Cinch Crankset and Surly Black Floyds saving bout 3 lbs. Replacing the Vee 8's saved 500g's per tire. Weighed now at 29.5 lbs.

I was gonna go with the Big Fat Larry's but I decided to wait on the Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's.

Old 11-04-14, 10:29 AM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pug can take me anywhere...if only I could keep up.
Old 11-05-14, 07:27 AM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
cool pics! (feel the same way about my fat bike)
Old 11-05-14, 07:57 AM
bruised

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
Awesome pics. What city is in the background of this shot ^ ?
Old 11-05-14, 02:30 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome pics. What city is in the background of this shot ^ ?
Cleveland Ohio...thanks
Old 11-05-14, 09:34 PM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Out on Crooked Island, FL a nice 80 today!

Old 11-10-14, 11:33 AM
closdubois

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how long State Bicycle Co. has had them, but I think it's a fairly new addition to their lines - Fat Bikes & Snow Bikes : Off Road Bikes | State Bicycle Co.

I guess these would be on the lower-middle end of the line? I've got better parts I could add, and I could sell the takeoffs, so would probably be looking at a $600-650 megalith fat bike. Any thoughts on these? I get a general distaste of States around these parts, but I own a Contender with upgrades and am pretty pleased.
Old 11-14-14, 04:59 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
The Game Changers are coming, here is one:

Bucksaw | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

I like to go fast down steep hills to get lots of speed to make it up the next hill...
If I can't find the, 'Flow' I am doing it wrong.....

Fatties will bounce all over if you get a good head of steam up and hit a bump,
Remember what they say In all the magazine reviews, "Slow and Steady gets it done"

I'm not slow or steady,

I will save my pennies for a full squish fatty

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 11:02 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat Bike History

I thought some might be interested in the history of Fat Bikes.

Fat bikes go where no bicycle has gone before - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Outdoors

Lots of fun and profit from a special guy working in a small, remote place.
Old 11-15-14, 11:18 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They just got done putting one together ^^^ when I was picking up my Salsa mukluk 3.

I bought it for the winter of course and that is the main reason. The way it bombs through the snow and almost any obstacle and the upright riding position, make it extremely nice compared to a mountain bike in winter. I can drift the front tire through turns without it dropping out completely and it even has a certain level of confidence on glare ice without studs. In my area getting a fatbike is pretty much a no-brainer especially since now they are grooming trails for it and last year they held the first fat birkie in hayward.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 11-15-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-17-14, 09:41 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I scored an old set of snowcat rims off of ebay last year. The live on my Troll not my fatbike though.
Attached Images
Old 11-17-14, 12:59 PM
scottsmith

Bikes: Steve Bauer Sirocco "Steve", Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 Fatbike "Black Betty", Retrospec Amok-16 "Rocinante/Veronica"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dabbled in fat biking with a single speed from July to October. That was enough to hook me but also convince me that I needed a geared fatty. For a mail-order bike this price, available in Canada I'm very happy with it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bruce.jpg (105.4 KB, 309 views)
Old 11-18-14, 10:16 AM
Pic

Bikes: Road, Hybrid, Tandem, Mountain, Gravel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need advice for fat bike tire in snow

I am looking to buy a fat bike. I see they are different widths for tires. I am looking to ride a little off road but mainly for winter riding in the snow along car travelled roads. I would like for advice from riders who have experience with different tire widths. Is a 4" tire wide enough or should I go wider? What are the pros/cons of narrower/wider tires for trail and snow roads? thanks
Old 11-20-14, 10:15 AM
bruised

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pic
I am looking to buy a fat bike. I see they are different widths for tires. I am looking to ride a little off road but mainly for winter riding in the snow along car travelled roads. I would like for advice from riders who have experience with different tire widths. Is a 4" tire wide enough or should I go wider? What are the pros/cons of narrower/wider tires for trail and snow roads? thanks
The idea of the wider tire is to give you more 'floatation'. What that basically means is that instead of cutting into and sinking down in whatever surface you happen to be riding (mud, snow, sand etc), you 'float' on top of it. So the wider the tire the more floatation you will get.

That's not to say that you won't 'sink' into snow, even with a wide tire. It depends on the type of snow, whether it's fresh, loose, packed, previously ridden etc.

So it's better to be safe and pick a frame that will take a tire of at least 4.25" wide. Many do, but not all. I can't talk from experience on the 5" wide tires. There's obviously a trade-off the wider you go. Wider means heavier with more rolling mass and more resistance, so you may get some benefit on snow and mud, but when you hit dry dirt or asphalt you've got more to haul around.
If you're riding on 'car traveled roads' as you say, then you're perhaps not really in need of a wider tire, 4" ought to work just fine, or even the 3.8". In fact, you might even be better off with a mountain bike with studded tires as you'll have less mass and rolling resistance and therefore a more efficient and faster ride on the roads. But if you plan on hitting some trails, then that's where the fat bikes come into their own.
Old 11-21-14, 07:59 PM
CyclingSalmon14

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My on one fatty is here I have ridden it around the block but first proper ride tommoro.

Can't wait needs some more setup but like it a lot.

Here it is all nice and clean...for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.