Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Guide For Winter Bike Tires - Studded Tires and Fat Bikes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Guide For Winter Bike Tires - Studded Tires and Fat Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 12:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Right, and I can't tell yet if my winter purchases are effective. Now I'm hoping for at least a short period of severe weather.
I will be perfectly happy if I get zero commuting miles on my fatbike this year. I bought it to ride on snow up in the mountains, pretty sure that always happens
Old 11-28-15, 09:14 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just ordered by first set of studded tires as a few have. Got the Kenda Klondike K946's which seemed to have good reviews. Told my wife I'd probably get five to eight years out of them. Kenda's might be a bit heavier but seem to hold up well on my commute and I'm not a speed demon either. Ice is more of a issue here than snow. Going to put them on the Specialized. I looked a Mongoose fat tire bike tonight at KMart for 200ish seemed awful heavy.. next time I'm in a LBS I'll compare to what they have. No way I'd ride that Mongoose everyday!
Old 11-29-15, 04:50 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
For two winters I rode a 2.3" Nokian Freddie's Revenz as the front tire and a 2.1" Nokian Extreme 294 as a rear tire on a 2000 Specialized RockHopper. I found that they worked better when mounted on a set of Snowcat rims (44 mm wide and drilled) instead of stock width mountain bike rims. This year I upgraded to a 2015 Salsa Fargo and installed Schwables Ice Spiker Pro studded tires (29x2.25). These tires don't feel as solid on the ice as the Nokians, but they are mounted on stock width rims. Going to order a set of the Snowcats for this bike also and see if that improves the feel.
Justin
Old 11-29-15, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
To those of you who have bought new tires for winter, please be sure to report on how they work once you've tested them well. We haven't had anything freeze here yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-15, 02:52 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
sweet! Thanks for the reviews.

FYI, 700c standard road tires are the same diameter as 26" standard tires. so, they are going to roll the same, unless you use fatter tires (>40mm for 700c or >3" for 26" rims).

In my fat bike tests, I could ride pretty far on 6-12 inches on tires up to 3" the 4" to 5" tires had way too much resistance in deep snow to go more than about 20 feet. The only real advantage I see with fat bikes is they really float over choppy rutted surfaces.

I have never heard of anyone around here riding fat bikes on ungroomed snow trails.

The advantage of 2" tires over skinnier ones is that you can run with much lower pressure. 20psi is reasonable for the front tire (nothing as low as a fat bike tire though).

@dscheidt - did you break the tires in properly? That is rather important with studded tires.
Old 12-27-15, 09:05 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58

FYI, 700c standard road tires are the same diameter as 26" standard tires. so, they are going to roll the same, unless you use fatter tires (>40mm for 700c or >3" for 26" rims).

In my fat bike tests, I could ride pretty far on 6-12 inches on tires up to 3" the 4" to 5" tires had way too much resistance in deep snow to go more than about 20 feet. The only real advantage I see with fat bikes is they really float over choppy rutted surfaces.

I have never heard of anyone around here riding fat bikes on ungroomed snow trails.

The advantage of 2" tires over skinnier ones is that you can run with much lower pressure. 20psi is reasonable for the front tire (nothing as low as a fat bike tire though).

@dscheidt - did you break the tires in properly? That is rather important with studded tires.
I put the tires on the bike, added air, and rode it. That's what tires are for. I'm not an aggressive rider, I don't corner hard, I don't skid to break. If the maker can't install studs properly, they're selling defective tires. The studs on my marathons simply fell out, because they weren't put into the pockets properly.

I say that someone who has installed thousands of studs in auto and light truck snow tires. The only studs that come out are the ones where the tread block gets torn, from aggressive driving (wheel spin or skidding during breaking), or where someone used the wrong size stud for the holes on the tire.
Old 12-27-15, 07:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I finally mounted the studded tires today and rolled the bike a few feet across the wood floor. Wow, they're loud.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-27-15, 11:51 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I finally mounted the studded tires today and rolled the bike a few feet across the wood floor. Wow, they're loud.
Carbide studs will do a number on wood floors. If you care about the finish, don't roll them around.
Old 12-28-15, 08:21 PM
Kawriverrat

Bikes: Old Nishiki, rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Mine shed 30% of their studs in the first winter. Schlwabe (both schwalbe north america and germany) ignored my inquiry if that was expected behavior, which tells me it either is, or they don't care.

My current winter bike rides on Nokian W240s, 700X40 (42?). Work great. Heavy, slow, loud on dry pavement when the pressure is low.
Ive found that the tires with studs that I have rode on the pavement for some time seem to lose less studs over time. However if you push things on dry pavement hard turns etc. you will lose studs.
Old 12-28-15, 09:31 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Kawriverrat
Ive found that the tires with studs that I have rode on the pavement for some time seem to lose less studs over time. However if you push things on dry pavement hard turns etc. you will lose studs.
I'm the creator of this thread, I just want to throw in that a few years ago there was a problem with Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires being manufactured wrong and losing a lot of studs. Let's not try to make this into a "it's how you rode it" part - as long as you aren't doing crazy skidding or braking that I don't even do on my summer bike, you shouldn't lose more than 2-3 studs. I strongly suspect the other poster got tires from a poorly manufactured batch.

dscheidt is right, studded tires are meant to be ridden, you should be losing nowhere near 30% of your studs. I looked at mine last year, I had lost 2-3 studs but that was it.

Lol I'm going to agree with the other poster in warning you about rolling them against wood floors. Studs are designed to break into ice - and wood is not tougher than ice. If you value your floor finish I would not roll them around on wood floors.

You got the Schwalbe Marathon Winter's right? I think you'll find that riding them outdoors they're not "quite", but they'll sound a lot quiter outdoors than they did indoors in an enclosed space. I would personally love to find a device that makes their exact level and kind of sound for my summer bike so people could hear me coming up behind them (without being loud enough to be annoying to other people). It sounds kinda like if you have a bowl of rice krispies right in front of you that you just put milk in, to me.
Old 12-28-15, 10:38 PM
Kawriverrat

Bikes: Old Nishiki, rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some like myself might not know any better & was just passing along info that some may benefit from. My experience is that fast corners & some other silliness thats usually acceptable on a 29 will pull studs. Simply put one cannot expect to do all things if your aggressive, one normally does on the trail or pavement & not lose studs.
Most all studded tires some years ago when I first started using them were terrible when it came to longevity.

Last edited by Kawriverrat; 12-28-15 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 04:41 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Just ordered by first set of studded tires as a few have. Got the Kenda Klondike K946's which seemed to have good reviews. Told my wife I'd probably get five to eight years out of them. Kenda's might be a bit heavier but seem to hold up well on my commute and I'm not a speed demon either. Ice is more of a issue here than snow. Going to put them on the Specialized. I looked a Mongoose fat tire bike tonight at KMart for 200ish seemed awful heavy.. next time I'm in a LBS I'll compare to what they have. No way I'd ride that Mongoose everyday!
If was do to a quick review of these.. awesome! Only have did 13 miles so far though. Rode right across ice with no slippage. The biggest issue is the ruts but overall seem extremely stable. See how the studs hold up (or stay in) over the next couple months.
Old 12-30-15, 08:58 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Ordered a pair of Dillinger 4s a few days ago. It was a toss-up between those or snow chains.
Old 01-04-16, 09:49 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

Umm, no. 700c road rims are the same diameter as 29er mt bike tires. They have an iso of 622. 26" rims have an iso of 559.
Old 01-04-16, 10:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Umm, no. 700c road rims are the same diameter as 29er mt bike tires. They have an iso of 622. 26" rims have an iso of 559.
26" rims also can be found that take 597mm, 590mm, 584mm, or 571mm tires. Tire Sizing Systems

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 898"]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 (650 C)[/TD]
[TD]571 mm[/TD]
[TD]Triathlon, time trial, small road bikes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 1/4[/TD]
[TD]597 mm[/TD]
[TD]Older British sport & club bikes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 3/8
(S-6)[/TD]
[TD]Schwinn "lightweights"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 3/8 (E.A.3)[/TD]
[TD]590 mm[/TD]
[TD]Most English 3-speeds, department-store or juvenile 10 speeds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 1/2 (650B)[/TD]
[TD]584 mm[/TD]
[TD]French utility, tandem and loaded-touring bikes,
a very few Raleigh (U.S.) & Schwinn mountain bikes.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1 3/4
(S-7)[/TD]
[TD]571 mm[/TD]
[TD]Schwinn cruisers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26 x 1, 1 1/8[/TD]
[TD]High performance wheels for smaller riders, common on Cannondale bicycles[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-04-16, 12:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

And the 571mm size is also called 650C, right?

Old 01-04-16, 04:04 PM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For winter snow/ice riding on my Kona Coiler, I've used Schwalbe Ice Spiker 304's in 26x1.95 for at least three winters now. Ground down a few spikes, but lost ONLY ONE. Wonderful tires.
Old 01-10-16, 01:11 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the deal with losing studs? I bought some a pair of 45nrth Gravdals (C$112 ea) and, within a week, they had each lost three studs. The LBS that sold them told me this is 'normal' and did nothing for me. 45nrth has not responded to my inquiry.

My expectation is that the shop would simply pop in a few studs for me at no charge and that 45nrth would provide extra studs and a tool along with their (expensive) tires if this is an expected problem. Failing that, they might also considering including something in the literature that accompanies the tires to warn of this and that customers should purchase spares.

What's your experience?

Last edited by asmac; 01-10-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Suomi Nokian tires I bought direct from Finland in 1990, still are fine . have not lost any studs.

but there are spare studs available, and a tool to do so, in US distribution, now..

Renkaat | Suomi Tyres

M&G W160 STUD A 47/50-559

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-10-16 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 09:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Originally Posted by asmac
What's the deal with losing studs? I bought some a pair of 45nrth Gravdals (C$112 ea) and, within a week, they had each lost three studs. The LBS that sold them told me this is 'normal' and did nothing for me. 45nrth has not responded to my inquiry.

My expectation is that the shop would simply pop in a few studs for me at no charge and that 45nrth would provide extra studs and a tool along with their (expensive) tires if this is an expected problem. Failing that, they might also considering including something in the literature that accompanies the tires to warn of this and that customers should purchase spares.

What's your experience?
Some tire makers say you need to set the studs by riding gently on pavement for 10 or so miles. It's not uncommon to lose a few studs, esp. for off road use. My 29er has 294 per tire, I'm not going to notice 5 less.
Old 01-11-16, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I finished building my winter bike yesterday and rode about a quarter mile on the studded tires on dry pavement. They are very loud. As I overtook a cyclist, he turned to look behind him to see what was making the noise.

They didn't feel slow, but the test was short, and it's a new bike for me. The bike is lighter and faster than I expected it to be, which might also have slanted my impression. This morning, I changed to regular tires so I could ride my new bike to work.

Old 01-15-16, 01:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Leebo, that is good. I can see you are learning and catching on. To review:

Standard road tires (700cx23) and 26" mountain bike tires (26x2.125) are both roughly 26" in diameter.

29" tires are roughly 29" in diameter and use the same diameter wheel as a road bike (700c)

Originally Posted by Leebo
Old 01-16-16, 05:24 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've had a pair of Nokian 294's pushing nine years. And I've never lost a stud in either of them.
Old 01-19-16, 08:46 AM
Leebo

Leebo, that is good. I can see you are learning and catching on. To review:

Standard road tires (700cx23) and 26" mountain bike tires (26x2.125) are both roughly 26" in diameter.

29" tires are roughly 29" in diameter and use the same diameter wheel as a road bike (700c)
You're confusing the issue. This is a rim size thing. Not taking overall diameter. 26" = iso 599. 700c road and 29er mt bike rims= 622 rims.
Old 01-22-16, 08:18 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might even enjoy the sound they make.
What's not to like about the sound of sizzling bacon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.