Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL Failing to Hold the Cleat

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 05:50 AM
Lionheart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

On my ride today, I suppose I got my cleat misaligned, and somehow caused a pedal problem. Somehow the spring tension has been altered. I can now no longer clip in because the retention spring is no longer tight. One piece of the pedal is fixed and is fine and looks normal. The other, the one that's supposed to rotate against the force of the spring, slightly when the cleat is being engaged, and then pops back to its original position during the action of clipping in, is loose. It's not being held in position by the spring and in fact now can rotate axially around the spindle/pedal body about 15-20°.

Has anyone seen this before, and more imporatantly know how to fix it? I'd prefer to just fix this myself if possible rather than send the pedal back for service. Any ideas?

TIA
Danny

PS: I was using some really old crank brothers cleats (that I've been meaning to change out).

Last edited by Lionheart; 06-25-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 06:22 PM
Lionheart

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
The Scoop

Never mind. I called 'em tonight. The Crank Brother that answered was super nice. He informed me that this was from a 'bad batch' of short springs, a known issue. The pair, which was several years old but in new condition are on there way back for repair under warranty.

Danny
Old 06-26-12, 07:48 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To answer your question, I had the same problem. Crank Brothers took care of it.