Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cables housing/installation questions.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 09:21 PM
lungimsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I am installing new housing and cables on my bike. Never done this before, but feel I need to learn, and was hoping you all could answer a few of questions for clarification to make sure I have it straight before I get started. Just double checkin'.

1. Housing with the lengthwise strands inside is the shifter housing?
2. Housing with the spiraling flat metal strand is the brake housing?

In the pic below showing the ferrules:
3. The metal ferrules are for brake cables, and the plastic ones are for the shifting cables?

Notice the black metal ferrule on the end. Its narrows on one end. This was on the rear brake cable hanger (pictured below).
4. I am going to reuse it there, but was curious if one of the metal ones I have in the pic would work with a cable hanger anyway? Didn't know if I had to use something particular, or any metal ferrule would do.
5. How about for the front brake cable hanger (see other pic), just the plain metal one will do? Nothing was in there when I got the bike.

Sorry for the extreme newb questions, but just want to be sure I understand before proceeding. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited by lungimsam; 07-15-12 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 10:12 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Most likely,...appears to be

Generally, brake housing is 5mm, and shift housing is 4mm. So a mismatched ferrule will be either too tight or sloppy-floppy loose. Have you tried to fit them?

The ferrules I am now using are all metal, though the shift cable ferrules from my Shimano kits have always been plastic (or nylon?),... with the exception of the one ferrule that fits into the rear dérailleur barrel adjuster. My current shift cable ferrules are turned aluminum with nice square/flat bottoms.

The odd shaped ferrule looks like a nosed ferrule, though those usually have a longer and thinner protrusion, very much the size of the housing's liner. Or maybe yours is "stepped" to fit a barrel adjuster?

Both your Surly hanger in back and your front hanger will accept standard ferrules. For that matter, brake housing doesn't require ferrules at all, and you're not obligated to use them,...though the result will be less *finished*. Shift housing always requires ferrules. I never had issues with the plastic/nylon ferrules, but many say a higher quality metal ferrule is more reliable.

Do a good job cutting the housing square. Some like to bend the shift housing to mimic its arc on the bike when cutting; the reason being to have a truly square assembly of wire ends that fully contact the bottom interior of the ferrule. Also, fully seating the ferrules onto the housing the best you can will reduce the need for later adjustment due to "stretch."
Old 07-16-12, 11:50 AM
lungimsam

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK, thanks very much for the info and tips.
Old 07-16-12, 01:56 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would buy a cable cutter to get a really nice cut, otherwise use a dremel tool. I would not use wire cutters.

I also use both lined shifter and brake housing. No one uses spiral unlined housing anymore though you can use it for the older friction shifters as shifting cable. Or lawnmower cable.
Old 07-16-12, 01:58 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The short housing found just before the rear derailleur is most often the most critical for good shifting performance. It's closest to the ground and is subject to more dust and dirty spray when riding wet roads. The short housing curve radius if too short will cause excess friction on the cable. If too long may cause a "kink" at the contact with the frame chain stay. If you buy a Shimano or Campagnolo cable and housing kit the short housing is already cut to a standard length and should not be shortened.