Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

How can you go forward when your wheels point in different directions?

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 05:17 AM
hamiltonian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so I'm kidding.

The reality is funnier. I hadn't ridden a bike in around 40 years, and due to a casual conversation, an old friend of mine started dumping free bikes on me. "Just try it," he said. And I just tried it.

I'm 57, 6'2", and 300 lbs, and I fell down more than once. Not pretty. When did it get so hard to mount and dismount a bike? But I'm a hard guy to keep down. The idea of cycling appeals to me. Six years ago I went car-free when I bought a house two blocks from the hospital where I work. The money I don't pay for a car pretty much pays my mortgage. It's a very walker-friendly neighbohood, and I've gotten by very well so far. But extending my range with a bike would only make my life better.

And bikes ... well ... bikes just seem interesting to me now. It's almost like I caught something.

So here I am. I have three cheap/free bikes already, and I'm ready to learn a whole lot of new things.

One thing that's pretty cool is a local effort to rescue abandoned/discarded bikes, fix them up, and recycle them to the public. I really like this idea, and I want to do what I can to contribute to the cause. Basically, I can learn bike mechanics by recycling bikes for the common good. It just seems like an awesome idea to me.

So here I am. all big, old, new, bruised, and idealistic.

Pleased to meet you all.
Old 07-21-12, 05:22 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Bike Forums.

Look around and have fun posting.

We have a car free forum.

Old 07-21-12, 08:58 AM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I "started" riding when I was 49 and had my best years when I was your age, so it's really not too late at all... I'm just starting to collect my Social Security now, and even though I've slowed up just a bit, it still is one exercise that makes me feel young again. If you want to get rid of some of that 300# - I suggest you try going anaerobic; once you make sure you're in good enough shape, of course. Your bike(s) will like you a lot more as well. You can set a good example at the hospital by going healthy, and as far as your neighborhood goes, getting out there, riding, and refurbishing bicycles is about as neighborhood friendly as it gets! KUDOS!

My buddy just turned 50 and he started* riding about 7 years ago. I remember when he first started out and I didn't know him and used to watch him coming up our hill on his way home. "Poor suffering bastard," I thought... He was beat! I mean really beat. He's about your height and weighed - maybe 250. Rode an old clunker. Got into it. By then end of that summer - he was still suffering, but had a more positive gait and bought a new bike. In years two and three, he was still a little slow, but with marked improvement, and starting keeping up with the "regular" riders. Last week, he just ripped one around Lake Nockamixon at nearly 20 mph for close to 25 miles. YIKES!

He calls it "Life changing!" and you can see it. It's the only sport I know that embraces everything good and nothing bad... about the environment, about the competition, about the idea of "play." I'm a runner as well, and used to be a tri-guy but swimming requires a pool - or river - or something! You can't do ball sports without a team, but you can do cycling with or without one. I'm preaching to the choir here, so I'll just end on this note - KEEP IT UP! Watch your aging process reverse itself and become the object of an age reversing project at the hospital! I'm glad you "caught" it, and good luck!

*starting over as an adult

Last edited by jefscolnago; 07-23-12 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-21-12, 02:26 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice story...good to have you joining the sport!