Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

recommend me a spoke length calculator?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 03:08 AM
BlackPowder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Thought this would probably fit this sub forum best. Anyways, I found several spoke length calculators on the web, which one is the most accurate / most widely used / best one?

thanks,
Old 07-31-12, 05:20 AM
SortaGrey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calculators.. the one linked below works for me. All are dependent on the user imputing correct data
and understanding how the tool arrives at those figures.

https://lenni.info/edd/
Old 07-31-12, 07:45 AM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for that link!
Old 07-31-12, 08:07 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
spocalc has worked for me. I've only built a few wheels recently and have not tried others.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-31-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 08:40 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
All calculators basically use the same formula with minor differences.

1. SpokeCalc is a starter "edition" where YOU the user add to the database over time. Database-wise it is minimal and way behind the times. However it has the most detailed input and feedback form.

2. https://lenni.info/edd/ is web based, but contains many uncorrected hub specs due to high reliance on published manufacturer data where manufacturers either massage numbers or measure to wrong locations.

3. DT Swiss web based calculator works fine - especially when using their database. Once you go manual mode though - it can get hairy. You really need to play around with it to determine what it massages and what it doesn't massage during the calculation process such as adjustments made for nipple sizes.

4. https://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyflemingapplications.php has SpokeChart 2.0 It is my own spreadsheet. It saves adjustments for hub spoke hole diameters for AFTER the initial calculation. An executable "spoke.exe" is also included to handle OCR and OSD rims...

While mine probably has the largest database of all - it is locked - i.e., end-user needs to check back in about every week for updates.

A lot of manufacturer "errors" are included - but they get corrected over time as I measure their products. Most recent examples were the XTR HB-950 and FH-950. Phil Wood's are another...

The continued addition of "tabs" are driven in part by the likes of AEO and others here on this forum due to paired, quad, and modified-triplet lacing arrangements that often come up.

=8-)

The most important thing to remember about all spoke length calculators is that you really need to play with each for awhile to understand what each does - and how they handle spoke hole diameters, OCR and OSD rims, and what they are really telling you on the output side of things.

Just hopping right into them for a first time wheel build can get you in trouble.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 08-03-12, 01:08 AM
BlackPowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys! I think Im gonna start with the DT spoke length calculator, it seems to be very detailed. One thing, it asks for the number of intersections (left and right) of the wheel. How do you determine those?

Or, if your you build a 36 hole cross 3 wheel, is 3 what you have to enter?

thanks,
Old 08-03-12, 03:16 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Yep!

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 08-04-12, 04:24 AM
BlackPowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys! I think Im gonna start with the DT spoke length calculator, it seems to be very detailed. One thing, it asks for the number of intersections (left and right) of the wheel. How do you determine those?

Or, if your you build a 36 hole cross 3 wheel, is 3 what you have to enter?

thanks,
Yep!

=8-)
.. so by number of intersections dt swiss means the spoke pattern .. (36h cross 3) .. and not the actual number of intersections? cause those would be more than 3, if you have a 36 h cross 3 wheel.. ? .. just so I understand this perfectly right
Old 08-04-12, 10:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Yes, hey use the word intersection in lieu of cross, but it's the same meaning.

BTW- as mrrabbit said, first time use of a calculator can lead to spokes off size either way by up to 2mm or so. That's because of variations in how they measure or define inputs.

For example, spokes are measured from the inside of the elbow, while holes measured on center. With a 2mm spoke, that's a difference of 1mm in the location at the hub. Also, some may specify the rim's actual diameter at the nipples seat, while others add 2-3mm and spec the desired height of a spoke in the nipple when built. So there's a but f fudge, but IME, every calculator is 100% consistent (not counting spec. errors) so if you measure your own the same way, or if the specs are right, you'll know how to adjust the result, and that's be the same every time. A good reason to pick one calculator and stay with it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-04-12, 08:41 PM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damon Rinard's Spocalc Excel file has been excellent for me, the database it comes with has many hundreds of hubs and spokes. I've had the same version of the file for the last 10 years, and have added a few hundreds entries of my own, for rims and hubs I tend to use more.

- Joel
Old 08-04-12, 11:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
I've had good results with Roger Musson's @ https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Use the instructions at his link for measuring your rims and hubs.
As in all things of this nature, YMMV.
Old 08-05-12, 03:54 AM
BlackPowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomacropod
Damon Rinard's Spocalc Excel file has been excellent for me, the database it comes with has many hundreds of hubs and spokes. I've had the same version of the file for the last 10 years, and have added a few hundreds entries of my own, for rims and hubs I tend to use more.

- Joel
OK where would I find Damon Rinards Spocalc Excel file?

thanks,
Old 08-05-12, 09:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackPowder
OK where would I find Damon Rinards Spocalc Excel file?

thanks,
There's a link to it on the Sheldon Brown site.

BTW- all calculators are comparably accurate, since it's a straightforward mathematical formula. The only difference is the correction factors such as allowance for spoke height in the nipple. So the key isn't which you use but that you stay with the same one so you get consistent results.

There may also be differences in the accuracy of the databases. I also use Spokecalc but I don't rely on any databases including theirs. I ensure reliable results by measuring everything myself, and maintain a log of those rims and hubs I use often.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.