Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 05:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
It happened to two of mine. I went from Camp pedals that threaded in beautifully with just finger pressure to Simano clipless that were somewhat tight going in (had to use a wrench)(of course I used grease) and eventually back to Campy quills. Cleaned the threads well and used oil to thread them back in, a few tuns forward then back them out, clean the threads, repeat, until they went all the way in. It works, but I doubt they will ever thread in as good as they did before. Have to use a wrench most of the way now. You can do it - just sayin'.
Again, that was Shimano pedals going int Campy cranks, and going back to Campy pedals. It may work better with Campy pedals going into Shimano cranks - dont know.
So now I use Campy quills in my Campy cranks, and anything Japanese in my Japanese cranks. I just think they fit better.
I can't argue with your experience. I've either been lucky or not as sensitive.
Old 01-26-19, 05:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Boy, climate change sure has altered the eastern shore....
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I have a British 531 Delta Sportive with all Campy hanging in the garage. It needs some frame and fork brazing work. I am pointedly ignoring it because.....
Old 01-26-19, 05:44 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Also, I looked up your frame on the Vintage Trek site. It looks like a great frame from 1979, and they were sold as a frame/fork or as a complete bike. Trek's top of the range, made in Wisconsin, Columbus SL/SP. For the factory fully built bikes, 6 speed freewheels were used, so I would say (going on how Trek was rather conventional) it probably was 126 mm spacing when it was new. If you got it as 124 mm, I think that just means perhaps somebody stood on it once in the distant past. You could certainly build up a bike to work with that spacing, but you might have to go to 5 speed and narrow the hub spacing and axle length a little bit. It would be a custom job to set it up If you are in the USA and have a decent frame shop nearby you could probably get the frame spread just a little bit and have the alignment restored, for not much money. It should be just a matter of cold-setting, but someone with some expertise should see what is actually wrong. A lot of folks here (including me) could reasonably guess that "its just a little bend, get two guys to help you pull it out," but these days I just like to get it fixed right, if I don't know enough about it.

Once aligned and at correct dimensions, it should ride like a dream with any of the great used contemporary (1969 through 1989) wheel sets you can steal on Ebay, which should just slide right on if 126 mm. Set the derailleur limits and brake shoe engagement, and verify the shifting and go! I had my 1984 Trek 610 fully aligned once (I think it was misaligned rom the factory or at least from the original shop) and it has been a real fine rider ever since, even with all the oddball components I've tried out on it.. Your Columbus frame should be even better.
I can assure you this frame rides like a dream when built up with either vintage components, or even a 130mm hub in the back with contemporary components.
Old 01-26-19, 05:45 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Depends on the day around here. With the mud it doesn't take much of a gradient to send you on your way..

I just got a package from Boulder Cycles. Dem boys can push sum Campy..
Old 01-26-19, 07:32 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Also, I looked up your frame on the Vintage Trek site. It looks like a great frame from 1979, and they were sold as a frame/fork or as a complete bike. Trek's top of the range, made in Wisconsin, Columbus SL/SP. For the factory fully built bikes, 6 speed freewheels were used, so I would say (going on how Trek was rather conventional) it probably was 126 mm spacing when it was new. If you got it as 124 mm, I think that just means perhaps somebody stood on it once in the distant past. You could certainly build up a bike to work with that spacing, but you might have to go to 5 speed and narrow the hub spacing and axle length a little bit. It would be a custom job to set it up If you are in the USA and have a decent frame shop nearby you could probably get the frame spread just a little bit and have the alignment restored, for not much money. It should be just a matter of cold-setting, but someone with some expertise should see what is actually wrong. A lot of folks here (including me) could reasonably guess that "its just a little bend, get two guys to help you pull it out," but these days I just like to get it fixed right, if I don't know enough about it.

Once aligned and at correct dimensions, it should ride like a dream with any of the great used contemporary (1969 through 1989) wheel sets you can steal on Ebay, which should just slide right on if 126 mm. Set the derailleur limits and brake shoe engagement, and verify the shifting and go! I had my 1984 Trek 610 fully aligned once (I think it was misaligned rom the factory or at least from the original shop) and it has been a real fine rider ever since, even with all the oddball components I've tried out on it.. Your Columbus frame should be even better.
The 930 and a 92 Paramount are my two main rides at the moment. I had hoped to have interchangeable wheels for them, but the Trek is a hair too narrow in the rear. So it has its own dedicated rear now. I have a six speed corn cob I've been wanting to use, and a set of Sunshine high flange hubs. The new rims are for this combo, and the Trek will be the recipient. It rides fine as it is and I'd rather not mess with cold setting and alignment if there is no need. It can just have its own wheelset, for it alone.

Old 01-29-19, 02:19 PM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campy everything you can, as far as I'm concerned. I never did wrap my mind (or hands) around breaking with your shift levers and/or shifting with your break levers. I tried. No thanks! ...And yes, I've used the Campy strap-ins and "clipless" clips as well as Shimano.
Old 01-29-19, 07:00 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
My problem with them isn't quite that severe. I can't do modern clipless and don't want to anyway. Even with thin skinny shoes, they rub and catch on the crank arm pretty bad.

The fix for me was easy, pedal extenders. They solved that problem and really helped ankle, knee and hip pain as well. Probably should have looked harder at Q-factor before then.

The extenders move the quill outboard and solve all those problems for me. I swear by MKS Sylvan's, one of the best values in cycling imho. Plenty of Campy in use and in stock as well.
Indeed, the options are out there.
I forget where found but was able to convert vintage French threaded 14 x 1.25mm Lyotard's onto a Schwinn 1/2"x20tpi one piece crank. The female end was extra long on these adaptors that I resorted to cutting!

Old 04-20-19, 02:31 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Yes, they are NR. Not sure how they are different from Record. SR came ofter the little metal loops for toe strap guiding were removed. I had a pair of that pedal on a bike I bought new in 1970, but it was claimed to have a lot of NOS parts.

So, those pedals could be around 45 to 50 years old. I'd recommend opening them up and overhauling the bearings even if they feel smooth. If they feel smooth the bearings are likely not pitted. If they are dry and not pitted, they could soon be pitted if you don't get some good fresh clean nutricious grease in there. If they have grease, start your future decades with those pedals by giving them a good meal of good new grease.

That model, with the loops, was highly sought after perhaps 10 years ago. You got a real deal at $50/pair. Now you need a set of Christophe toeclips with Binda laminated straps, and a Record crankset to use with them. You'll also need shoes with hard soles for long rides.
I finally opened them up yesterday. They were immaculate inside, and needing new grease. I rode them this morning. Nice.

Old 04-20-19, 02:59 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Prepare to empty your wallet, drain your savings, and relinquish all control over your income. Also, be ready to have the single most nicest bike on skid row!
Old 04-20-19, 05:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
So are these Nuovo Record? How do you tell?
No, they're Record pedals. There never was a "Nuovo Record" pedal. Gran Sport pedals lack the strap loop, have a rougher finish, and have "GRAN SPORT" stamped on the barrel. The spindles also lack the rifling of the Record pedal, but are otherwise interchangeable with Record spindles. "Superleggero" pedals are identical to Record pedals, but have a black-anodized aluminum cage and lack the strap loop. Super Record pedals are identical to Superleggero pedals, but have a titanium axle and use smaller balls.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-20-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 06:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Thanks