Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whats The Coldest Temperature You're Willing To Train In

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Whats The Coldest Temperature You're Willing To Train In

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 02:51 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Anything that "feels" under 30F. Also don't even bother if the wind gusting >15mph if it's around 30F. The ride becomes more of an act of survival than pleasure or training in those temps.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 01-27-20, 02:52 PM
Retrogrouch731

Bikes: 73 Cinelli SC, 77 Trek TX900, 85 Masi Prestige, 85 Gios Professional, 86 Fuji Opus III, 86 Pro Miyata, 87 Koga Miyata FullPro, 89 Trek 660, 91 De Rosa Pro, 91 Cinelli SC, 91 Gary Fisher Procaliber, 91 Stumperjumper comp, 92 Serotta Colorado TG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 18 Posts
40 degrees Fahrenheit is my bottom threshold for what I will set out for a ride in and if it dips into the upper 30’s while I’m already out, that’s ok. I used to ride all the way down to the lower 20’s but having experienced a puncture in those temps and having to patch and inflate the tire and getting scary cold, never again. I don’t prefer riding indoors but it is much more convenient when it’s cold enough outside that it requires 20+ min of getting dressed and ready to ride outside and the same on the back end when I get home from the same ride. Plus I have invested in a very nice stationary bike which makes for a good indoor cycling experience. Living in the Midwest, winter weather is all over the place and there are still many days warm enough to ride outside even during the coldest months of January and February. For example it’s mid 30’s all this week, last week there were several days in the upper 40’s and next week there are several days forecasted to be 40’s to even low 50’s. The same weeks last year were all in the single digits.
Old 01-27-20, 08:04 PM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
42˚ - or rollers.
Old 01-27-20, 10:42 PM
EAIGodzillared
FixedGear

Bikes: EAI Toyo/Godzilla, State Bicycle Company Klunker, 6061 Black Label V2, Nashbar 4130 steel fixed gear commuter with rear rack and panniers, 1987 Schwinn Le Tour fixed gear conversion, Motobecane 29plus single speed, 2008 Specialized Langster London

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden in the single digits Fahrenheit with minus wind-chill, with clear roads, but you have to watch out for black ice. I have ridden in heavy snow and icy conditions with temps ranging from the teens, 20's and 30's. On snow and icy days I ride my 29plus single speed. On clear days I ride my winterized fixed gear. It's fun if you're wearing protective accessories, clothing, and have winter bikes set up. What is that adage? There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing or something lol. I do have Kreitler Alloy rollers, and Elite Arion Digital Smart Rollers as well. I find them more fun than stationary trainers. I just watch cycling movies, races, or whatever on Netflix. Or just listen to music.
Old 01-28-20, 12:46 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
50F/10C That's right, I don't do cold. I'm a warm weather rider. Heat? That's ok and I'll do that all day long.
Old 01-28-20, 01:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I live in the Northeast, (Fairfield CT) so 30F seems to be my cutoff temp. I also don't bother if the winds are over 20 mph or the roads are wet. My biggest pet peeve is keeping my head warm.
I have a drone fly overhead with a heat lamp. It's pretty luxurious on a cold day. You should try it!
Likes For Seattle Forrest: