Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Trails in Thomasville, Georgia

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 08:26 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good road bike trail in the Thomasville, GA area? Thanks
Old 03-31-23, 09:16 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I don't know that there are any, but if you stay off the major roads there are a lot of rural roads with very light traffic in the area.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-31-23, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Can anyone recommend a good road bike trail in the Thomasville, GA area? Thanks
https://ymca-thomasville.org/program...on/bike-routes
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-02-23, 12:31 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Assuming that you are going to visit...Hwy 19 as well as 319 are very busy throughfares for trucks and other commercial vehicles as well as folks headed to Florida. I just went on Google Maps to see if there were any recommended/marked bicycle routes and nothing comes up. IDK what your normal rides look like as far as distance and speed. I would probably go somewhere like map my ride and see if you can't layout your own route on the back streets within the city limit. I would suggest looking at areas to cross the highways I reference rather than attempting to ride them.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 04-02-23, 01:37 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
319 should be avoided but Hwy 19 has very light traffic once you get out of town. Very busy in town but once you get outside the city traffic disappears. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it in terms of traffic. But it's a 4 lane with a wide median so it's not the most scenic road. Much nicer than an expressway, but not a bucolic country road.

Between 319 and 19 heading out of town to the south you have Metcalf Rd. and Magnolia Rd., which runs into Metcalf. Those are much prettier roads and have very little traffic. Metcalf Rd. to Magnolia Rd. is the route I would take by bike from Tallahassee.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-17-23, 01:40 PM
sandyrobinson57

Bikes: Specialized Crossover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a 20 to 22 mile ride, you can start in Boston and ride a few miles north on Five Forks Rd and take a left (west) on Summer Hill Road for another 9 miles. There may be a group that makes this ride weekly. If you ride Wed thru Sat, stop for lunch at the Boston Cafe. There are some other rides that the people at Hubs and Hops (229-236-1890) can tell you about. They are a great resource and have a nice bar/light food area.

If you have a gravel bike, there are some great clay roads in Thomasville. Start at Hubs and Hops Bike Shop, ride 2 miles on pavement to Mill Pond Rd. After another 7 miles, it dead ends into New Hope Road. Go right to Metcalf(24 to 25 miles) or left to ultimately cross 300 and onto Boston(40 to 41 miles total). these rides are probably 80% plus clay but check conditions first. If this interests you, let me know and and I can give you more detailed directions.