Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29 3 -- opinions?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 11:47 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts

A friend has offered me a good deal on his very lightly-used 2014 Cannondale Trigger 29 3, which coincidentally aligns with my renewed curiosity/interest in owning a mountain bike. (Which was just further accelerated by my selling my gravel bike last night, so as of right now I don't own anything for unpaved/off-road cycling.)

Anyone have any experience with this model, or with any of its features/components? Specs are here: https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ger-29-3,13699

I'm mostly looking for something to replace the gravel bike and allow me to feel "overbiked" rather than "underbiked" on some of the gnarlier trails. Big tires seems a necessity in the sandy off-roads around Tucson AZ. Full squish just seems like fun (although I am admittedly resistant to diving in to a new activity with its vast and wholly unfamilar vocabulary...I am clueless when it comes to "bob" and "sag" and all those other suspension terms).

Biggest concern is the gearing, because I do want to be able to ride the roads to get to the trails, and I've never ridden a bike whose tallest gear was only a 36/11 combo.

Actually, no, my biggest concern is SRAM mechanical shifting...I know nothing about their MTB stuff, but I've been supremely (and repeatedly) disappointed watching other roadies try to gracefully negotiate their double-tap paradigm.

Anyhow, does this seem like a good bike for someone who wants to get into off-roading without signing up for a crap-ton of maintenance headaches? thx
Old 06-22-23, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
SRAM MTB stuff is fine, I don't love their shifter as much as a Shimano shifter but it is nothing like DoubleTap at all.

In terms of gearing you will probably be fine. Focus on the bike for its intended purpose rather than worrying about riding to the trail. If the gearing isn't the best you will be fine because it would suck if you had great road gearing and poor gearing for mountain biking. I can spin it to win it but grinding up a hill on the trail not so much fun.

If the bike fits and you enjoy and your friend is giving you a good price, then go for it.
Likes For veganbikes: