Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Summit County, CO in October?

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 07:54 AM
bapkan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's been a while since I've been here. I'm heading to Summit County (staying around Keystone) in October. I've never been that time of year. What are the possibilities that I could fit in some road biking. Even if it's just staying on the rec path and not getting up any passes. Just wondering what weather is like. Or should I be more ready for skiing? I have no idea what it's going to be like that time of year.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-23, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Average temperatures are easy to look up.

Old 08-18-23, 11:33 AM
bapkan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Yeah, I looked up ave temps but, those are based on long term readings. I was hoping for on the ground reports of more recent trends. I know there was a ton of snow last year but, I'm going on that being a bit of an aberration. I'll be keeping an eye on forecasts as the time comes.
Thanks for your post and info!
Old 09-08-23, 08:29 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bapkan
It's been a while since I've been here. I'm heading to Summit County (staying around Keystone) in October. I've never been that time of year. What are the possibilities that I could fit in some road biking. Even if it's just staying on the rec path and not getting up any passes. Just wondering what weather is like. Or should I be more ready for skiing? I have no idea what it's going to be like that time of year.
Thanks in advance!
I heard that one of the Summit County ski areas is opening mid-October (man-made or assisted snow). The weather could be anything. There are no Normals in CO, just averages with a very high standard deviation. Take your chances.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-09-23, 07:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I heard that one of the Summit County ski areas is opening mid-October (man-made or assisted snow). The weather could be anything. There are no Normals in CO, just averages with a very high standard deviation. Take your chances.
Well put. I’ve toured enough out west, especially in Montana, to expect anything at any time. I’ve gotten snowed on at around 8,000’ in during the 3rd week of June. Near 40 degrees outside of Telluride in late July.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-09-23 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-13-23, 07:16 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Snow in the high country tomorrow. They closed trail ridge road a few days ago for snow.