Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel: Bikeable?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 05:19 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking ahead and planning a possible ride to my in-laws in Norfolk. When I drive the shortest route is down the Eastern Shore across the Bay Bridge Tunnel.

I've tried to find out if you can bike across it, with no success. It seems the new span has pretty good sized shoulders that would be bikeable, but the tunnels might make it impossible.

Anyway, anyone from Tidewater or Eastern Shore know about whether bikes are allowed across?
Old 10-23-07, 06:51 PM
bld61

Bikes: 2006 Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt very seriously if they would let you go across because the 2 tunnels you have to go through have no shoulder in them. This would be very dangerous.
Old 10-24-07, 06:17 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bld61
I doubt very seriously if they would let you go across because the 2 tunnels you have to go through have no shoulder in them. This would be very dangerous.
That's what I thought might be the case, I've driven through the tunnels many times (before I started noticing the bikeability of every road I drove on...) and I don't recall anywhere that a bike could navigate.
Old 10-24-07, 06:22 PM
Crabby Deb
The Land O' Bossy Wimmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking in the tunnel would most likely be fatal and at the very least illegal and full of CO.

How about using one of the ferrys? Look at VDOT's website.
Old 10-24-07, 06:57 PM
chipg5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabby Deb
Biking in the tunnel would most likely be fatal and at the very least illegal and full of CO.

How about using one of the ferrys? Look at VDOT's website.
What a great idea!! I didn't even know there were ferries. Thanks CD!!

onedit: went to VA DOT ferry page; doesn't look like there's a ferry from Eastern Shore to mainland any more :-(

Last edited by chipg5; 10-24-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 07:10 PM
bld61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask your in laws to go pick you up once you get to the bay bridge tunnel.
Old 10-24-07, 07:28 PM
chipg5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah looks that that might work, especially since my wife will be driving down with the kids, I can get her to pick me up at the start of the bridge on Eastern Shore. thanks bld61
Old 10-30-07, 06:25 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
this is prob too late, but I think a friend of mine went thru the bay bridge-tunnel a couple years ago with his bike.

he had to call ahead and make arrangements to be trucked thru in a pick-up.
Old 10-30-07, 08:34 PM
chipg5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffrun
this is prob too late, but I think a friend of mine went thru the bay bridge-tunnel a couple years ago with his bike.

he had to call ahead and make arrangements to be trucked thru in a pick-up.
Not too late! I'm planning this for next summer some time. This is really great to know about, thanks skiffrun! Was he trucked across the entire bridge-tunnel or just through the tunnels?
Old 11-07-07, 06:00 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are deffinatly not allowed to ride on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at all. Here is the link to the website. https://www.cbbt.com/ They have contact information listed. There were a couple of times in the past when they closed portions of the bridge for cycling and walking. My daughter and I did it a couple of times just for kicks.
Old 11-12-07, 09:01 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhchdh
You are deffinatly not allowed to ride on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at all. Here is the link to the website. https://www.cbbt.com/ They have contact information listed. There were a couple of times in the past when they closed portions of the bridge for cycling and walking. My daughter and I did it a couple of times just for kicks.
My daughter and I also did the bridge ride a couple years. Do they still hold this event?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-12-07, 02:11 PM
bld61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No they don't. ;( It was a great ride though.
Old 11-13-07, 01:06 PM
skiffrun

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipg5
Not too late! I'm planning this for next summer some time. This is really great to know about, thanks skiffrun! Was he trucked across the entire bridge-tunnel or just through the tunnels?
too many questions ... too many details ... a-a-a !

i dunno.
Old 12-02-07, 09:58 PM
edsouverain

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Specialized Tri-Cross Pro, GT Avalanche, Hofffman Dirty 30 BMX, Specialized Crossroads Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cbbridge tunnel

I live in Virginia Beach and I agree this would be very dangerous. The tunnel is many miles long and this bridge is quite high up and you could quite possibly be blown around as you try to cross the bridge part as the wind coming in off the seas can be 50 mph+ gusts. I applaud the spirit though. What I would do is ride to Cape Charles which is the last city before VB. You literally could probably get a cab over for 50 dollars or so. I don't reccomend hitching etc, but if you did it from Cape Charles you probably would be ok if you got a good feeling. It is a pretty small place with 1000 or so residents. The or so might only be by a couple hundred.
Old 12-03-07, 07:03 AM
chipg5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edsouverain
I live in Virginia Beach and I agree this would be very dangerous. The tunnel is many miles long and this bridge is quite high up and you could quite possibly be blown around as you try to cross the bridge part as the wind coming in off the seas can be 50 mph+ gusts. I applaud the spirit though. What I would do is ride to Cape Charles which is the last city before VB. You literally could probably get a cab over for 50 dollars or so. I don't reccomend hitching etc, but if you did it from Cape Charles you probably would be ok if you got a good feeling. It is a pretty small place with 1000 or so residents. The or so might only be by a couple hundred.
Thanks ed, yeah, I've driven over the bridge/tunnel many many times. I hadn't thought about the winds though, but I can see how that could be pretty treacherous. My main focus was the tunnels which I guessed would be impossible and from this thread I see my hunch was right.

Thanks for the suggestion about Cape Charles, good idea!
Old 03-09-24, 08:02 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update to this old thread. Yes - you can cross the CBBT with a bike, but must do it through a CBBT shuttle. You must contact the operations group 24 hours in advance to arrange the shuttle and pay the toll. See the FAQ on their website. https://www.cbbt.com/faqs/