Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Possibly Moving to Greenville/Spartanburg or Greensboro NC-Good Cycling Communities?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Possibly Moving to Greenville/Spartanburg or Greensboro NC-Good Cycling Communities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 10:09 AM
Looper1477

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering relocating to either the Greenville/Spartanburg area in SC or Greensboro/Highpoint region in NC. Understand in Greenville area there are the Greenville Spinners and Spartanburg Freewheelers clubs----question is in general, is anyone familiar with how many rides and how many people populate those group rides----my wife and I are former racers a long time ago----55-60 now and definitely not afraid of hills. Less familar with what the cycling community might be like in the Greensboro area.

Any insights would be welcome.
Old 09-02-23, 03:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I am moving to Greenville, SC soon. I created an inquiry here several months ago. Maybe you will find it helpful.

People from surrounding communities have chimed in.

Cheers!

https://www.bikeforums.net/southeast...-roadways.html
Old 09-06-23, 07:41 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
For a sampling of Greensboro NC cycling you can check out the website of a shop that's been around for years, [Dale Brown's] Cycles D'Oro. Dale's been everything from a racing promotor to a framebuilder.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-12-23, 08:21 AM
GSOMtnbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am a mountain biker, not road, but have lived here in Greensboro for 22 years so happy to answer any questions you may have about different areas or support with referrals on bike shops if I can. I live out in the country outside GSO (Oak Ridge) and it's a beautiful place to ride but some of the roads have very little shoulder so also can share some areas that I would maybe be more cautious riding or roads which are scenic and safer. Anyway, not sure how big of a help I can be but will gladly try if you want to PM me with any questions.​​​​​
Old 09-17-23, 06:02 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I'm a member of the Freewheelers in Spartanburg. The club has a lot of rides at various speeds (A+ to C level, usually.) They also host the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. You did say you weren't afraid of hills, didn't you?
They have a Facebook page you can look up. Group rides: Freewheelers of Spartanburg | Weekly Group Rides

Last edited by Bald Paul; 09-20-23 at 11:15 AM.