Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

De Rosa: Campagnolo record, columbus tubing

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 10:06 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Columbus EL oversize tubing, Record 8 speed gruppo, sheriff star hubs, Campy
Lambda rims, all in mint condition.

i may buy this...what is this valued at?

how much is the group worth?

Last edited by abstractform20; 07-15-10 at 10:10 PM. Reason: oops
Old 07-15-10, 10:11 PM
abstractform20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-15-10, 11:55 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Nice bike. I would love to own it. Not directed at the OP>> (rant). It's annoying when someone won't take the time or effort to rotate an image.
Old 07-16-10, 02:47 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Lovely bike - those shifters, salivate, drool... or rather, I should be saying 'horrible, not worth much at all, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, offer $250.00 to take it off his hands'.

PS. Let us know if you buy it.
Old 07-16-10, 07:13 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I bought mine a number of years ago for $1,500. similar frame, with the chrome head lugs etc., the group was a bit different, all ego 8 with the EXA freehub, so low flange hubs and Campagnolo Record pedals.

Transfered parts to a Masi 3V to which I like better.
Old 07-16-10, 11:43 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
We're looking at 3 or 4 different values here:

eBay: this is where it'll fetch top dollar. What's top dollar? I'd say somewhere in the $1200-1600 due to the hubs which are a wild card. People tend to pay alot for them.

Parted out: probably less than a complete bike but it'll come down to what the framesets worth. Frameset $600? Wheelset w/ sheriff star hubs $500, everything else $250-300. So what's that? $1400 Alot of wildcards parting this one out. Chrome and condition bring big bucks. Condition? This one speaks for itself. Chrome on a De Rosa? That's a nice touch. A few italina framesets have brought big bucks lately, I could see this frameset going for $1000 or more.

Street price? I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $1200-1300 in this economy. Anything more than that could be approaching build cost.
Old 07-16-10, 11:45 AM
miamijim

We're looking at 3 or 4 different values here:

eBay: this is where it'll fetch top dollar. What's top dollar? I'd say somewhere in the $1200-1600 due to the hubs which are a wild card. People tend to pay alot for them.

Parted out: probably less than a complete bike but it'll come down to what the framesets worth. Frameset $600? Wheelset w/ sheriff star hubs $500, everything else $250-300. So what's that? $1400 Alot of wildcards parting this one out. Chrome and condition bring big bucks. Condition? This one speaks for itself. Chrome on a De Rosa? That's a nice touch. A few italina framesets have brought big bucks lately, I could see this frameset going for $1000 or more.

Street price? I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $1200-1300 in this economy. Anything more than that could be approaching build cost.
Old 07-16-10, 12:29 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by miamijim
I could see this frameset going for $1000 or more.
I better get cracking and image my Primato, it is just on a hook right now, the chrome is fun.
Old 07-16-10, 12:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 ebay is a real wild card. Sometimes even low end gas pipe stuff goes high, and sometimes high end stuff goes cheap. I sell stuff on ebay every week, and the variance week to week on pricing is unbelievable. And that's with the same seller (me), with the same marketing, full size pics, terms, etc.

ebay has its place (I sell some stuff there where I have no other alternate outlet), but the variance is frustrating.
Old 07-16-10, 05:36 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
As far as the group value goes, here are some starting points (floor) on each of the pieces. Ceiling could be up to double depending on who is looking for what:

-Record aero pedals $75
-Record RD $50
-Record 8sp egros $150
-Record brakes $75
-Record FD $25
-Record crankset (depending on the size) $125
-Record BB $40
-Record headset $50

So you are looking at close to $600 as the floor on ebay pieces well identified and photographed, in very clean condition and functioning properly. I have been looking for 8sp Record bits for a year or so and these are the going prices for nice quality stuff. One can get bargains but there either cosmetic issues, misidentification, bad pictures, misplaced listing, wrong spelling etc...

I think that if you are looking at this as a buy, part and flip, a $500 starting point for the whole bike will easily triple that (or more) if you part it out and sell it bit by bit extremely well marketed, allowing returns, and not overcharging on shipping on ebay. But everything has to be extremely clean. (and before I forget: those record DT cable guides are about $25 a set).
Old 07-16-10, 05:39 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 ebay is a real wild card. Sometimes even low end gas pipe stuff goes high, and sometimes high end stuff goes cheap. I sell stuff on ebay every week, and the variance week to week on pricing is unbelievable. And that's with the same seller (me), with the same marketing, full size pics, terms, etc.

ebay has its place (I sell some stuff there where I have no other alternate outlet), but the variance is frustrating.
Here is what I do with high end parts on ebay: I list them when I see the same or a similar part being bid up by more than one bidder agressively and there are no others listed. You know that at least 2 people want it and you know that one will not get it and will look for something similar. Yes, ebay is a wild card, but you got to look at demand and supply. If an item you have is in low supply a particular day and in demand, chances are that listing a similar item will increase the demand of your item.
Old 07-16-10, 07:20 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by EjustE
Here is what I do with high end parts on ebay: I list them when I see the same or a similar part being bid up by more than one bidder agressively and there are no others listed. You know that at least 2 people want it and you know that one will not get it and will look for something similar. Yes, ebay is a wild card, but you got to look at demand and supply. If an item you have is in low supply a particular day and in demand, chances are that listing a similar item will increase the demand of your item.
An interesting strategy, but if you place an identical item while one auction is still active, then one of the bidders might back off, knowing another is in the wings, of course this predicates the current bidders searching elsewhere... all quite chaos theory.
Old 07-17-10, 05:46 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by repechage
I better get cracking and image my Primato, it is just on a hook right now, the chrome is fun.
Could....would, should. Couldnt, wouldnt, shouldnt. This is the first time i've seen very scattered ebay pricing. The frameset has it all, big name, chrome, Italian, red, good size, great condition. Remove 1 of those variables and the price could plummet.
Old 07-17-10, 07:27 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by miamijim
Could....would, should. Couldnt, wouldnt, shouldnt. This is the first time i've seen very scattered ebay pricing. The frameset has it all, big name, chrome, Italian, red, good size, great condition. Remove 1 of those variables and the price could plummet.
True, mine is not Red, but is what is generally a good size, 56 or 57, I should remember, but so it goes. I too think ebay is a rollercoaster right now, maybe make sure the auction ends on a day of good economic news... Dow, 11,000.... sell, DOW 9,000... hold. Where is that crystal ball I need?