Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Kestrel Talon Questions

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Kestrel Talon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 05:31 PM
adam_mac84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel Talon Questions

I know that the kestrel talon is supposed to have a seatpost that can be brought forward to increase seat tube angle from ~73 to ~78. I have been looking at these for a road bike and tri bike (will add aero bars)... I understand bike fitting and as a physical therapist, i am very keen on body angles and seeing body movement. I set all of my bikes up and love to tinker with position using video feedback both on a trainer and on road.

Anyhow, BD does have talon listed with drop road bars, and when i click to inquire about geometry, it brings me to Kestrel's website. I have emailed to see if this bike comes with this 'versatile' seat post (basically one of the reasons i was considering this bike). They have not answered.

My family has ordered 3 bikes from BD so know what to expect with the company, but generally we have been very happy with the hardware that comes with the bike.

My other option would be to build up a kestrel frameset... makes no significant matter to me. Likely i will pay for a pro-fitting to confirm my measurements before purchasing the bike, and then set up the bike to the dimensions that the pro-fit reveal.

This bike will be used on group rides, the occasional century, a few tri's next year, and i would like to try my first cat 5 crit next year. I KNOW that there is no way to have 1 bike for all of these, but right now it is a toss up between the kestrel, CAAD9, and specialized secteur or allez
Old 08-18-10, 08:23 AM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned a Talon SL since 2005. It was originally set up as a road bike and I later rebuilt it to be strictly a tri/TT race machine w/ HED's, Vision bars and the seatpost w/ the forward position.
I have also owned a Trek 1500 since 2004 and a Pinarello Prince since 2007. I rotate through these bikes quite regularly.
After reading the intended use for your bike it would be very difficult for me to recommend the Talon to you. Indeed it makes a fierce fast race machine, but I'd never ride a century on it.
Out of the choices you listed I'd definitely lean toward the CAAD9.
Old 08-18-10, 10:43 AM
tri*burgh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on whether you buy it with the tri setup or the road setup. I bought a road version(07) and it came with a traditional seatpost. I bought an aero seatpost and switch it out periodically. The frame has a shim that goes in for traditional posts and removes for the aero post. I believe you can get any seat angle from the aero post alone.
I use the bike on long rides and find it as comfortable as any other carbon racing frame.
Old 08-18-10, 10:53 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
This bike will be used on group rides, the occasional century, a few tri's next year, and i would like to try my first cat 5 crit next year.
With one bike for all this, your best bet is get a road bike and clip-on aero bars. If you want a more forward position, consider a forward tilt seat post. This would allow you road geometry for group rides, century and crits plus add the seatpost and clip-ons for tris
Old 08-18-10, 05:34 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologize for not specifying WHICH talon very well... it is this bike