Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How long to soak cassette in OMS?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 05:45 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After being stuck on the mindset that chemicals are "bad," I finally decided to try out odorless mineral spirits. Previously, I used degreaser on chains and cassettes, but it doesn't get them particularly clean. So right now, I am soaking my cassette in OMS in a cake pan. How long should/can I leave it there? It's not particularly gunky, but I got a new chain, so I want it to be as clean as possible.

I am going to pour the lightly contaminated OMS from soaking the cassette into a bottle and soak the old chain in it (I'll be making keychains and stuff out of it). How long can I safely soak the chain in it?
Old 07-19-12, 07:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A few minutes with some agitation should be enough. Use an old toothbrush, stiff paintbrush or similar to scrub the teeth and between the cogs and it should clean up fast. I use OMS/Kerosene to solvent clean my bike components (derailleurs, brakes, etc.) during overhauls and they don't require more than a few minutes in the solvent if I scrub them a bit.
Old 07-19-12, 08:03 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to soak for more than a few minutes. Maybe less than a minute would be fine. It doesn't hurt a steel part to soak for a long time in mineral spirits. You could leave it for weeks with no problems.
Old 07-20-12, 04:47 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Never occurred to me to soak a cassette - a rag and some of the spirits should clean it up pretty well (you can drag the rag through the slots between the cogs as you pedal the system backwards to get out stuff in there).

As ^^ says, it shouldn't do any harm to soak for longer, the metal doesn't care, but the spirits should loosen the gunk pretty quickly. However, if you want the chain to be clean enough to make jewellery etc out of, you may need to do some repeated soakings/scrubbings with fresh spirits. I've made a handful of old chain bracelets and keychains, and they do trap dirt (i.e. oil infused with black crap) inside the rollers for a long time unless you clean them extremely thoroughly (I ended up running multiple strips of paper between the plates and rollers to soak out the blackened solvent). You'll want to get this out unless you want nasty random stains from clothing contact with an improperly cleaned chain.

There's a reason that most chain jewellery uses new chains, not old ones. It's hard (but not impossible) to get the last of the black grease out.

Last edited by robo; 07-20-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 05:02 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll do repeated soakings in OMS, scrubbing with a clean (old) toothbrush in between. I'll be replacing the OMS each time.

I was soaking the chain in OMS overnight, in a glass snapple bottle. I left it outside on the front porch (even though it's "odorless", it still smells). When the newspaper got delivered this morning, they hit the bottle and shattered it. OMS on the newspaper is just what I wanted . AND that caused me to lose about 16oz of mineral spirits, HALF of what I have. I'll get a gallon jug of it next time.
Old 07-20-12, 05:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
I'll do repeated soakings in OMS, scrubbing with a clean (old) toothbrush in between. I'll be replacing the OMS each time.
No need to dispose of dirty MS. Let it sit undisturbed for a few days and all the gunk seperates and settles to the bottom of the container. You can use most plastic food jars by the way. After it's settled, pour the clean MS into another container and re-use for the next cleaning. Use a rag to wipe up the gunk from the container and dispose. Better for the environment than using water based cleaners that just get poured down the drain or your neighbors garden.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 07-21-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 06:04 PM
JTGraphics

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I find the new Green OMS not to work as well as the regular OMS works faster and easer.
Old 07-20-12, 06:29 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Personally I find the new Green OMS not to work as well as the regular OMS works faster and easer.
"Green OMS" is an oxymoron, it isn't OMS and it isn't particularly green once it's used as a cleaner.
Old 07-20-12, 06:33 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
No need to dispose of dirty MS. Let the it sit undisturbed for a few days and all the gunk seperates and settles to the bottom of the container. You can use most plastic food jars by the way. After it's settled, pour the clean MS into another container and re-use for the next cleaning. Use a rag to wipe up the gunk from the container and dispose. Better for the environment than using water based cleaners that just get poured down the drain or your neighbors garden.
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by JTGraphics
I use the regular OMS.
Old 07-20-12, 10:04 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
A few minutes should do. If you want to get the cassette really clean, disassemble it. Even if it's riveted together, you can remove the rivets (grind the head off and punch them out) and clean in between the cogs. You don't need the rivets to put the cassette back on either. Just slide the cogs into place and tighten the lock ring.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-20-12, 10:07 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
A few minutes should do. If you want to get the cassette really clean, disassemble it. Even if it's riveted together, you can remove the rivets (grind the head off and punch them out) and clean in between the cogs. You don't need the rivets to put the cassette back on either. Just slide the cogs into place and tighten the lock ring.
It's a partially spidered (Shimano 105) cassette. I don't think I can do that. I think your advice only stands for MTB cassettes with cogs that are riveted together, not spidered road cassettes.
Old 07-20-12, 10:33 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robo
Never occurred to me to soak a cassette - a rag and some of the spirits should clean it up pretty well (you can drag the rag through the slots between the cogs as you pedal the system backwards to get out stuff in there).

As ^^ says, it shouldn't do any harm to soak for longer, the metal doesn't care, but the spirits should loosen the gunk pretty quickly. However, if you want the chain to be clean enough to make jewellery etc out of, you may need to do some repeated soakings/scrubbings with fresh spirits. I've made a handful of old chain bracelets and keychains, and they do trap dirt (i.e. oil infused with black crap) inside the rollers for a long time unless you clean them extremely thoroughly (I ended up running multiple strips of paper between the plates and rollers to soak out the blackened solvent). You'll want to get this out unless you want nasty random stains from clothing contact with an improperly cleaned chain.

There's a reason that most chain jewellery uses new chains, not old ones. It's hard (but not impossible) to get the last of the black grease out.
For cleaning chains spot clean for chain jewellery I use repeated soaks/scrubs in heavy stuff: gasoline, paint thinner, acetone and the last bath on the chain will be in isopropillic alcohol (this stuff is great as it removes the traces of oily stuff left by gasoline, and dries very fast without residues of any kind).

But for general thorough cleaning of any mechanical thing: disassemble and clean each part, relube if required and put it back together - works best.
Old 07-21-12, 07:54 AM
Gpaw44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clean my chain I use an old crock pot someone gave me, put enough OMS it it to cover the chain and turn it on high and let it sit till I clean the rest of the bike. I also position the rear tire over the pot and clean the rear gears with a brush. The chain comes out very clean. I then soak the chain in chainsaw bar oil so that oil gets around and into the chain. Wipe the chain down and you ready to go again. This method doesn't take long at all when applying a little heat!
Old 07-21-12, 08:46 AM
Preco

Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to this link https://www.nordicgroup.us/chain/ the guy at this site is a old mechanic and has some realy good ideas on cleaning and lubing.
Old 07-21-12, 09:13 AM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A chain can soak in MS... well, forever. Just make sure when you take it out, you clean it up with a clean dry cloth. As far as the suggestion to take the rivets out to clean it better, under no circumstances would I ever take manufactured riveted cogs apart. They've been riveted in place for a reason. You may not agree with this reason, but there was probably some amount of engineering done on the part of the manufacturer to set those rivets in place! ...maybe he was kidding ???

By the way, glass is never the best idea for use and storage of petrolium products. There's no plastic around? No metal cans?
Old 07-21-12, 09:28 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
You don't need to soak for more than a few minutes. Maybe less than a minute would be fine. It doesn't hurt a steel part to soak for a long time in mineral spirits. You could leave it for weeks with no problems.
+1, Steel can sit in OMS for a very long time (maybe forever) without any issues. Soak it long enough to break down the oils or waxes so the dire is loose and comes free easily. That can be anything from a few minutes to overnight. If soaking for a long time, cover the container to minimize evaporation.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-21-12, 09:42 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

It's a partially spidered (Shimano 105) cassette. I don't think I can do that. I think your advice only stands for MTB cassettes with cogs that are riveted together, not spidered road cassettes.
Yes, it only applies to cassettes that are riveted together. That is most cassettes. Even mountain bike cassettes can come on a spidered carrier but that is on the higher end cassettes just like road cassettes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-21-12, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, Steel can sit in OMS for a very long time (maybe forever) without any issues. Soak it long enough to break down the oils or waxes so the dire is loose and comes free easily. That can be anything from a few minutes to overnight. If soaking for a long time, cover the container to minimize evaporation.
How long the cassettes can sit in mineral spirits depends on the mineral spirits. If the mineral spirits are the "green" type which are often called odorless mineral spirits as well. But the "green" type is water based and salts on cassettes could cause problems with that type only.

Old 07-21-12, 10:10 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
How long the cassettes can sit in mineral spirits depends on the mineral spirits. If the mineral spirits are the "green" type which are often called odorless mineral spirits as well. But the "green" type is water based and salts on cassettes could cause problems with that type only.
Green mineral spirits are an oxymoron. There is no such thing. There are green mineral spirits substitutes or alternatives, that are mislabeled in that the words substitute or alternative or replacement are missing, or hidden in small print, but that doesn't make them mineral spirits any more than artificial chocolate flavor is chocolate.

While solvent can mean almost anything, mineral spirits has always had, and for me, will always have a specific meaning. BTW, the bastardization of the term mineral spirits is one of the main reasons that I now usually recommend naphtha. At least when it says naphtha on the can, you don't have to read the fine print to know what's really inside.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-21-12, 08:03 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Green mineral spirits are an oxymoron. There is no such thing. There are green mineral spirits substitutes or alternatives, that are mislabeled in that the words substitute or alternative or replacement are missing, or hidden in small print, but that doesn't make them mineral spirits any more than artificial chocolate flavor is chocolate.

While solvent can mean almost anything, mineral spirits has always had, and for me, will always have a specific meaning. BTW, the bastardization of the term mineral spirits is one of the main reasons that I now usually recommend naphtha. At least when it says naphtha on the can, you don't have to read the fine print to know what's really inside.
While I agree to a certain extent, "green" mineral spirits is a product that is available and is used by lots of people. I wouldn't use it but some people do. It is a solvent...maybe not the best but it is a solvent. Since it's water based, you do have to be careful about salts contaminating it and causing problems.

Old 07-21-12, 08:25 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I was soaking the chain in OMS overnight, in a glass snapple bottle. I left it outside on the front porch (even though it's "odorless", it still smells). When the newspaper got delivered this morning, they hit the bottle and shattered it. OMS on the newspaper is just what I wanted . AND that caused me to lose about 16oz of mineral spirits, HALF of what I have. I'll get a gallon jug of it next time.
Next time put the MS in a 32oz Gatorade bottle. I've had used dirty MS in these containers for months, the plastic does not break down. The top has a wide mouth for easy chain removal (use an old spoke to reach in and grab the chain.)

With the Gatorade bottle you can also shake the thing to your heart's content without worrying about it leaking out the cap. It's the best container I've found for cleaning chains. Much better than scrubbing in a cake pan with a toothbrush.