Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will this Shimano Deore work with my DeVinci?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 09:10 PM
SteelWeaver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok. I hit up the search function and came up with bunk. Also checking out the recommended sites for Shimano stuffs. I figured I'd also employ the "it happened to someone else last week" mentality and see if it actually has.

My bike is a 2010 DeVinci Cameleon 3. I had a fairly solid ride and bail that resulted in the bending of my chainrings... I'm looking to replace the crankset as a result. I'm drawn to the Shimano Deore FC-M590 (Product)... I'm probably going to bring it into my local shop to get it put in (to avoid the PITA of getting the tools to do it myself, I hate unitasking tools), but I've encountered a deal that I probably can't pass up (it'll save me $100 on buying it in the shop). So I'm wondering if the 2 will be compatible? What other information should I be gathering to see if it will?
Old 03-26-14, 09:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Bad news.

Derailleurs don't care about bikes, as long as there's a derailleur hanger. They care about the cassette and the number of speeds, and they care that the levers match properly so it's a single compatible system.

Since you're putting a Shimano derailleur onto a bike with levers made for Sram, it won't work. Sram systems have a different cable response ratio, meaning the distance the RD moves for each click, than Shimano.

It's like running a ship with a Captain shouting out orders in French to an English speaking crew.

So, either stay with Sram derailleurs, or replace both the derailleur and a matching lever set.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-26-14, 09:38 PM
SteelWeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hrm. I might be on glue here... But I'm talking about the crankset (bottom bracket and chainrings and cranks), not derailleurs... Or is there a leap of logic I'm unaware of? There's a Shimano chain on there right now, running just peachy keen with a "temporary POS chainring" that's on there just as an interim between the original and whatever I get for replacement...
Old 03-26-14, 09:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelWeaver
Hrm. I might be on glue here... But I'm talking about the crankset (bottom bracket and chainrings and cranks), not derailleurs... Or is there a leap of logic I'm unaware of? There's a Shimano chain on there right now, running just peachy keen with a "temporary POS chainring" that's on there just as an interim between the original and whatever I get for replacement...
No problem on the crankset as far as compatibility with the drivetrain. But make sure the Bottom bracket matches the frame.

BTW- most compatibility questions are drivetrain related, so when you say Deore, people think RD. So next time say will this Deore Crankset work.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-26-14, 09:49 PM
SteelWeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AHA! Ok. Simple lingo barrier.

See, this is a matter of having ordered this crankset 9 months ago when I needed it, then it taking 5 months worth of "it's on it's way" for me to finally just get my money back. Now I'm 99.9% sure that this is the one, but I can't find the purchase order for the one from eons past, but this one strikes a chord with me, so wanted to check before I bought it. At least, if it IS wrong, I can return it without issue.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-14, 10:04 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
They're both 44-32-22 triples meant for 9-speed drivetrains, so it should work.

Off the top of my head, two things to be aware of:
  • You'll need to replace the bottom bracket along with the crankset. (Not a huge problem. The Shimano SM-BB51 bottom bracket the Deore spec sheet calls for is under $20.)
  • Crank arms are made in a few different lengths, such as 165, 170, or 175 mm. You'll probably want to match size of your new cranks to your old ones.
Old 03-27-14, 07:27 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
They're both 44-32-22 triples meant for 9-speed drivetrains, so it should work.

Off the top of my head, two things to be aware of:
  • You'll need to replace the bottom bracket along with the crankset. (Not a huge problem. The Shimano SM-BB51 bottom bracket the Deore spec sheet calls for is under $20.)
  • Crank arms are made in a few different lengths, such as 165, 170, or 175 mm. You'll probably want to match size of your new cranks to your old ones.
Shimano usually supplies a BSC BB, with spacers, for all of theor mountainbike-style HT@ cranksets. So, if the OP is buying a new one, the BB should be included. I have the same cranks; BB came in the box.
Old 03-27-14, 07:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
Shimano usually supplies a BSC BB, with spacers, for all of theor mountainbike-style HT2 cranksets. So, if the OP is buying a new one, the BB should be included. I have the same cranks; BB came in the box.
Hmmm, interesting that the MTB crank sets come with the bb. For their road HT2 cranks, you have to buy the bb as a separate item.
Old 03-27-14, 08:41 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Hmmm, interesting that the MTB crank sets come with the bb. For their road HT2 cranks, you have to buy the bb as a separate item.
That's b/c they offer Italian and BSC versions of the BB; forcing the Italian-frame guys buy a BB that won't work for their application would be bad bidnizz. Of course, you'll be hard-pressed to find an Italian-threaded mtb frame, right? While there is some variation in terms of threaded bb shells amongst mtb frames, the whole 68-vs-73mm shell thing is addressed with the spacers supplied with the BB.

The part that weirds me out is that the mtb cranks tend to be as cheap as comparable level road stuff, yet they ship with a part that retails @$20 or more....

Last edited by surreal; 03-27-14 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typos