Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 01:39 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
@PepeM Crumpling numbers is strictly forbidden. There's a reason for it, among them it makes it easier to read the number. It may not be a finish thing - it may be that they need your number for something else, like during the race.
No crumpling, I think I got it.

One of the things I tell new riders is to read the rulebook. When I started racing my "mentor" told me to read the rulebook. Back in the day that meant a physical rulebook. I skimmed it, claimed I read it. My mentor asked me what was a free lap, how they measure when a rider finishes, and something else. I had no clue. I actually read the rulebook a few times and still missed stuff.

For now skip the track, cross, and other stuff that don't pertain to you. Read the road stuff and TT stuff.

Remember, when you get your license you're agreeing to follow the rules when you race a USAC race. You should know what you can and can't do, per the rules.

Some thoughts here (my race, no longer held). Cat 5 clinic, I had to think about what I wanted to have a Cat 5 know before they showed up and what I wanted them to learn in 30 minute chunks of time.
2013 Clinic Info*|*Bethel Spring Series
I did read the rulebook a few weeks ago. Will still take some time to go through it again to make sure I don't miss anything important.

Yup, went through that.

Hip numbers shall beattached securely at least at the four corners and noaccessory or hair may obstruct a clear view of the number.
Doesn't really say how the number should be 'attached securely.' It, however, does leave plenty of leeway for the Race Director to decide what's acceptable or not:

(b) Riders shall place their numbers as prescribed by theRace Director or officials and in such a way that they arevisible when the rider is in a racing position.
A Local Association may impose additional numberrequirements.
I guess the best thing to do is ask.

Btw, I read your clinic stuff a week or two ago when you posted it (after I asked about wind.) Really good stuff, I think I'll have to find someone to practice bumping with, don't think my GF will be up for it.
Old 03-16-16, 01:40 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Good lord, what is it with the 33 and crumpling stuff up?!
I heard that a crumpled jersey is more aero.
Old 03-16-16, 01:48 PM
Fingolfin

Bikes: Dover (TCR Adv 1)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
spray glue, apply, pin the corners.

the magnets are garbage because the jersey stretches, the magnets slide, then when the jersey releases the number balloons up
The trick with magnets is you need something to keep the magnets in place. The way I've done it is to have an old number that I tape 6-9 magnets around the edge. Then align my race number and tape up the matching magnets. The old number then goes inside the jersey to provide proper positioning.

It's probably 15% more work than a good first go pinning, and not as messy as glue. So a bit of a wash effort wise for a single race, but if you have a race series or stage race that reuses a number then can be a big time saver.
Old 03-16-16, 01:53 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Doesn't really say how the number should be 'attached securely.' It, however, does leave plenty of leeway for the Race Director to decide what's acceptable or not
My bad, they removed the "pin" wording a year or two ago. No pins required.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-16-16, 02:21 PM
PepeM

Awesome. I'll use some clear tape and then blame the organizers when my number inevitably flies away mid-race.
Old 03-16-16, 02:50 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad, they removed the "pin" wording a year or two ago. No pins required.
I'm a USAC official. I like to see pins, no matter whatever else you use to fasten the number. You want your number as crisply readable as possible. Racers fail to realize that while finish line cameras provide results, the official results come from the officials. There are human beings scoring the race at the same time the camera is taking pictures. They have to jive. The biggest advantage a human has over a camera is that our perspective is not fixed. We can see things that the camera cannot. So make it easy for all of us and fasten your number securely so that it remains secure during the length of your event. It can be very irritating when a racer trying to save a watt holds up results for the entire field, or worse, forces protests and post-race analysis, holding up everyone else.
Old 03-16-16, 04:19 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
@shovelhd and I go round and round on this. At VOS the CR sent out a memo he wanted pins - after the TT. So we glued and used four pins - after the TT with no pins. Other than that, we don't use pins and if the numbers are printed well (95%) we soften them using a technique showed to me by a very senior USAC official. Take a crisp number and find a sharp corner (table, rail) and burnish the number back and forth. It will get soft. It actually reduces the facets that reflect light and make these cameras, that somehow are not as good as cell phones, not miss numbers. Anyway with the softened number just spray 3M 77 on back, wait till tacky and slap on. this even works for stage races. Once good at it there is little glue left on the kit. GooGone spray gel (must be gel) cuts the dried glue an the number comes right off - wash out immediately.

Almost all the Euro race numbers are soft and the better races they issue with adhesive on the back.

But there are always referees that want things different than what the rule book says and it is easier to just go along with them on smaller issues. Some issues are not so small as this.

Last edited by Doge; 03-16-16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 05:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
all this talk and I once won a race after using spray glue and no pins during which the number came loose so I pulled it off and jammed it in my pocket. I just called my number out as I crossed the line and showed them the bib once everyone else had finished crossing. they didn't care.
Old 03-16-16, 05:47 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ygduf
all this talk and I once won a race after using spray glue and no pins during which the number came loose so I pulled it off and jammed it in my pocket. I just called my number out as I crossed the line and showed them the bib once everyone else had finished crossing. they didn't care.
I'd be willing to bet @shovelhd would be as kind...
Although not knowing how to glue a number is reason enough to get DQ'd
Old 03-17-16, 01:54 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Nice! Sounds like a great experience. I'm from Scotland and will be there this summer. I usually ride while there but have never raced.
Very cool that you already have a team and teammates! look forward to hearing about your next races!
Very cool! We're in Edinburgh and my team is Edinburgh Road Club. I've been blown away by the level of ability over here and it's a great riding/racing scene. Since September (when we got here) I haven't had to think about riding indoors. It can get cold and a little wet, but snow never sticks and while it rains fairly often it's almost always intermittent.
Old 03-17-16, 06:57 AM
lorill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick question about the glued numbers: here we need to give the number back after the race for reuse (yep, we're cheap). Would the glue come off the number as well as of the jersey?
Old 03-17-16, 09:28 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lorill
Quick question about the glued numbers: here we need to give the number back after the race for reuse (yep, we're cheap). Would the glue come off the number as well as of the jersey?
Not completely, the back of the number will be tacky.
Old 03-18-16, 11:57 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
Indeed, that is my type of sprint - going a bit early. I don't have the watts for a drag race, but getting the early jump is generally how I've won.

In fact, looking back at my wins - I think all of them involved going from 400+m, not 200m/after the last corner.

Do you adjust this plan for a headwind finish?
Old 03-18-16, 01:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Do you adjust this plan for a headwind finish?
Depends on how strong the wind is, and also hard to say b/c it really depends on timing/positioning.

For a headwind going later is in general better. For tailwind the opposite is true.

my race videos
Old 03-18-16, 05:33 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My TBC TT absolutely stank! I was 1 minute slower than last time I did it two years ago. Perspective: its a ~3 miles tt.

Oh well, I am telling myself that today was just openers for the weekend ahead.
Old 03-18-16, 10:01 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ same tt. It went well for me. I'm in the P12 field and was about the only one without a tt bike/aero equipment. Set power pr's and hr was on target so can't complain. I'm 15/35 place and looking forward to a weekend of hard racing.
Old 03-19-16, 01:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Did some TTs this morning. Connor Spencer (2nd at State last year in open/p12), and Dan Martin (age group rr world champ) beat me by the painfullest of margins.

1: 23:10
2: 23:11
3: 23:12

Mind your cables and shoe covers.

Ex and I did a 2-man TTT as a second ride and came in at 23:04, which is pretty good for a 2nd run. My first time ever doing a TTT and it was a lot of fun. Ex didn't even crash me out this ride!
Old 03-19-16, 02:11 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
are shoe covers aero or not? i'm still confused tbh.
Old 03-19-16, 02:29 PM
jacksonhandy

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Race since 2013. Union City, GA. Cat4/5 crit (I'm still cat 5). One guy went down in front of me, I slowed, field was away after getting back to speed, dropped, then pulled a few laps later. They placed everyone, 36/42. Wasn't last, so, silver linings eh.

I'll get faster eventually.
Old 03-19-16, 02:49 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TBC RR First 3s race for me. Rolling course with a bit of everything including a strong wind at one point that really made my enve 65s very hard to control, others commented about it too on shallow rims.

I had no teammates and team tactics coming into play all race. Break on the last lap stuck, barely. That put 7 guys in front of the pack, of which I was sitting about 4th wheel at 1k to go. I got swarmed and rolled in at the back of the pack.

Notes:
1. Yellow jersey goes down about .5 miles into the race taking a few with him; I rolled into a ditch to narrowly avoid the crash.
2. Was crazy close with another guy when he rolled up to my left and then drifted into me. We almost locked handlebars but we both were calm and drifted apart.
3. I was wondering where my fitness would be and it seems okay for the 3s at least today.
4. I feel burned out even though I only raced three RRs so far. hmmph.

Last edited by beatlebee; 03-19-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 05:21 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
TBC RR First 3s race for me. Rolling course with a bit of everything including a strong wind at one point that really made my enve 65s very hard to control, others commented about it too on shallow rims.

I had no teammates and team tactics coming into play all race. Break on the last lap stuck, barely. That put 7 guys in front of the pack, of which I was sitting about 4th wheel at 1k to go. I got swarmed and rolled in at the back of the pack.

Notes:
1. Yellow jersey goes down about .5 miles into the race taking a few with him; I rolled into a ditch to narrowly avoid the crash.
2. Was crazy close with another guy when he rolled up to my left and then drifted into me. We almost locked handlebars but we both were calm and drifted apart.
3. I was wondering where my fitness would be and it seems okay for the 3s at least today.
4. I feel burned out even though I only raced three RRs so far. hmmph.
Great to meet you today. Thanks for saying hi.
Glad you didn't go down in the crash.
Old 03-19-16, 06:27 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
It depends
Old 03-19-16, 06:53 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4th place in the P12 crit, first part of the Sunshine Grand Prix.

Wet conditions with turn two becoming brick road. I got caught behind a crash and *barely* stayed upright, had to put a foot down. ...then a 5min solo chase to get back on while the others got a free lap. Not fun. Burned a couple matches. About a lap later a two girl break went and I was still recovering from the chase. I contributed to chasing but not enough people wanted to help, so I started to conserve the final 15min. I covered three hard attacks (shot her a smile after the last one, letting her know that I wasn't letting her get anywhere). I was second wheel behind her into the sprint, around the final corner...and I *completely* f'd up my tactics. She wound it up, I was dead on her wheel...and then I hesitated for 2-3 seconds, when another girl shot past and I had to play catch-up. She took third by 0.05s (1/4 of a wheel). I was reeling her back in but ran out of ground.

Looking for a win tomorrow. At least I got my first upgrade point towards Cat 1 ^_^
Old 03-19-16, 07:36 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by mike868y
TT only if at all and not up hills. I favor not using them if you have decent slick shoes. The new lace shoes - don't use them. If you have the classic 3 Velcro straps do use them.
Old 03-19-16, 09:38 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
2 circuit races back to back, 50' cat 3/4, and 70' cat 1/2/3

About a 2 mile out and back of rollers and moderate wind.

We had 8 guys in the 3/4 race, about half the field. I start by hitting it hard in the cross/headwind. Hit the turnaround and teammate drills it in the tailwind. Not too hard, but guys aren't all that fit and there are gaps. Pretty soon I cover an attack, a few guys bridge and it's me and 4 opponents. Bad, bad odds.

So naturally I refuse to pull. If they insist on a break, I'm gonna be the freshest at the finish. There is much yelling at me but I hold my ground. 2 guys refuse to get back in, insisting I move up the line. I don't care, I stay behind them. The gap grows, and grows, and I suddenly attack hard, drop them both and bridge back up. I then just sit on the back. Every once in a while I take a token pull, nothing too hard. My teammates are cool with me sitting on the break, and covering every bridge attempt.

Last lap I attack in the headwind hard. One guy is dropped easily, the other is stuck to my wheel. Ease up, he isn't gonna pull anymore and neither am I. Turnaround, attack 2 more times but can't shake him. The other guy catches back on but he is no threat. Turnaround, coming up the headwind hill sprint, I'm 2nd wheel, strong guy is 3rd. I keep an eye back and take off as he does, but he was just super strong and put a couple bike lengths on me at the line. 2nd place, 3 upgrade points!

1/2/3 was fast and hard. Several guys popped off early. Halfway through, teammate turns to me "guys are starting to fall apart". Turns out it was us half lap later. Team TT behind the remaining group for 7th and 8th (mid "pack").

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.