Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

War Stories

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

War Stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 08:01 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago we had one of those frozen rain events that produced a sheet of ice over everything. As a result of going down on ice twice in previous years, had equipped the bike with Kenda Klondike studded tires - so no problem. As I was headed out figured "don't be an idiot - drive one day and be safe". You can guess the rest of the story. Ended up doing a 180 as I entered the parkway from the entrance ramp. Slammed into the divider facing the wrong way and totaled my truck.

Same circumstances the next year I rode the bike instead. As I was going over a railroad overpass, a car tried to move out of lane a bit to give me a little more room, and he started sliding and almost hit the abutment.

Guess you should stay home till the sun's up.

Last edited by bubbagrannygear; 01-23-18 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 05:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
A few years ago we had one of those frozen rain events that produced a sheet of ice over everything. As a result of going down on ice twice in previous years, had equipped the bike with Kenda Klondike studded tires - so no problem. As I was headed out figured "don't be an idiot - drive one day and be safe". You can guess the rest of the story. Ended up doing a 180 as I entered the parkway from the entrance ramp. Slammed into the divider facing the wrong way and totaled my truck.

Same circumstances the next year I rode the bike instead. As I was going over a railroad overpass, a car tried to move out of lane a bit to give me a little more room, and he started sliding and almost hit the abutment.

Guess you should stay home till the sun's up.
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-24-18 at 05:40 AM.