Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paint removal without chemicals or blasting method preferred?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paint removal without chemicals or blasting method preferred?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19, 10:41 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
For less than $150 you can buy a Soda blaster and blasting media for stripping the frame. This will safely strip frames with chrome sections, and the industrial baking soda is environmentally inert. I've posted a previous thread on soda-blasting chrome parts. Of course, you also need a good supply of compressed air.
This ^

Soda blasting is easy, cheap and environmentally safe. If you have a substantial compressor you can buy a soda blasting setup and a big bag of soda for about $100. You can blast the frame in your driveway and wash away the soda.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 12-04-19, 11:51 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
This ^

Soda blasting is easy, cheap and environmentally safe. If you have a substantial compressor you can buy a soda blasting setup and a big bag of soda for about $100. You can blast the frame in your driveway and wash away the soda.
And the paint. You'll wash away the paint too. I live next to Humboldt Bay, so I know exactly where "away" is.
Old 12-04-19, 01:42 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
And the paint. You'll wash away the paint too. I live next to Humboldt Bay, so I know exactly where "away" is.
Very good point and I apologize for not realizing this.

I don't live in an area with storm drains so maybe this was not as apparent to me. But yes there will be paint dust mixed in with the soda so best to vacuum it up and dispose of it properly.

I think you will find similar issues with any paint removal process. Chemical strippers have to be rinsed off. Mechanical removal leaves paint dust and chips everywhere. Something to think about.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 12-04-19, 05:46 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
Very good point and I apologize for not realizing this.

I don't live in an area with storm drains so maybe this was not as apparent to me. But yes there will be paint dust mixed in with the soda so best to vacuum it up and dispose of it properly.

I think you will find similar issues with any paint removal process. Chemical strippers have to be rinsed off. Mechanical removal leaves paint dust and chips everywhere. Something to think about.
That's why I'm leaning towards having the powder coater doing that. They have the facilities and the state regs do deal with it.
Old 12-04-19, 10:23 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I have a media blast cabinet at work. I'm considering such a path now. I blasted a frame 30 years ago and rattle can painted it over the course of a week. Final coat of clear. It turned out OK, but I saw the flaws all the time. This next bike will either be powder coated, or I might chat with a local body shop...
Old 12-05-19, 12:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
The price range I am seeing locally is $400-500 for stripping and good quality powder coating. I think I'd rather try either elbow grease and time, or might try the citristrip after reading about it. Seems pretty mild and with a bit of work sanding and wire-brushing the surface it should work for me. The Franklin pricing is pretty amazing for what they claim to do.

I have multiple projects floating around so I am in no hurry. With my luck, I'll never be able to remove the fixed cup anyhow...
for that stubborn fixed cup the sheldon brown bolt and washer tool and technique https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Old 12-05-19, 01:38 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
IMO if you're doing this at home, stripper is going to be by far the fastest and easiest method. It's also pretty easy to contain the stripped off paint. Most of it will come off in ribbons. Spray the residue with water to deactivate the stripper. Bag it all up.

Something to be aware of is that wire wheels tend to shed wire everywhere. If you're not careful you'll pick it up with your tires and get flats for months.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 12-05-19, 06:01 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
for that stubborn fixed cup the sheldon brown bolt and washer tool and technique https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
Still not budging...Will try again this weekend, if not look for a local shop that has one of those VAR/Huzon cup removers. I wish that the rust on the nails on my fence would hold the fence together like the rust that holds that in...

Wish I had a bench vise to get leverage...

Last edited by jdawginsc; 12-05-19 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 06:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Still not budging...Will try again this weekend, if not look for a local shop that has one of those VAR/Huzon cup removers. I wish that the rust on the nails on my fence would hold the fence together like the rust that holds that in...

wow.....that is stuck....might need more leverage and really stuck ones some times need 2 people just because it can be awkward to position and get leverage. i also had to really think out the orientation and direction of the tool, to make sure I was loosening not tightening

good luck

Old 12-05-19, 06:24 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by squirtdad
wow.....that is stuck....might need more leverage and really stuck ones some times need 2 people just because it can be awkward to position and get leverage. i also had to really think out the orientation and direction of the tool, to make sure I was loosening not tightening

good luck
Thank you sir! I am sure that the cup will come out or the frame will disintegrate eventually...whichever comes first...
Old 12-05-19, 09:41 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Do you know what the threading is on the bottom bracket? You’re positive it’s not left hand thread?
Old 12-05-19, 11:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

...the reason I bought a Hozan fixed cup tool for my own use is that I started repainting a lot of Italian bikes. Both French and Italian bikes, with RH threaded cups on the drive side, almost always come from the factory installed with a tremennnnnnnnnnnndous torque. Otherwise they tend to back out while in use. When I reinstall them, I use as much torque as I can get with the Hozan, and some blue Loctite on the fixed side as well. Probably someone in the distant future will curse me for this, but if you've ever had one back out in use, it's a PIA. Besides, I'm painting with epoxy. So anyone who wants to strip and repaint will have his or her hands full.

I've had a number of projects that required both the Hozan, and holding the end of it in the pipe jaws of a bench vise and using the frame for leverage before it would break free.

With a repaint, you have the advantage of not caring about the paint. So for something like that, it's Mapp gas torch time out in the back yard bike shop.
Old 12-06-19, 12:50 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
With Sheldon Brown's Fixed Cup Removal Tool (linked to above) you can use a cheater tube on the ratchet handle to get a lot of force. I've broken free some reall stuborn fixed cups using Sheldon's tool and a long steel tube.

Cheers
Old 12-06-19, 05:02 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Do you know what the threading is on the bottom bracket? You’re positive it’s not left hand thread?
Positive. It's an Italian thread.
Old 12-06-19, 05:20 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
OK. I use a little different method to remove the fixed cup than the method described in the Sheldon Brown link. If you have the fixed cup wrench with the flats, I basically thru bolt it into position and if necessary, use a pipe cheater. Haven’t had a problem removing one yet. I can put up photos if needed.
Old 12-06-19, 05:40 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
IMO if you're doing this at home, stripper is going to be by far the fastest and easiest method. It's also pretty easy to contain the stripped off paint. Most of it will come off in ribbons. Spray the residue with water to deactivate the stripper. Bag it all up.

Something to be aware of is that wire wheels tend to shed wire everywhere. If you're not careful you'll pick it up with your tires and get flats for months.
I use Aircraft Stripper and course steel wool. Last frame I did took 20 min, The paint is usually pretty easy to get off but sometimes the primer can be a bear, Especially the grey stuff could be because it's lead based?
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 12-06-19, 03:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by satbuilder
OK. I use a little different method to remove the fixed cup than the method described in the Sheldon Brown link. If you have the fixed cup wrench with the flats, I basically thru bolt it into position and if necessary, use a pipe cheater. Haven’t had a problem removing one yet. I can put up photos if needed.
That was the first method I used. Not budging yet. Park tool, bolted to cup...no movement yet. Will have to find a cheater bar that fits over the spanner end.
Old 12-07-19, 02:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
I use Aircraft Stripper and course steel wool. Last frame I did took 20 min, The paint is usually pretty easy to get off but sometimes the primer can be a bear, Especially the grey stuff could be because it's lead based?
You could run into lead on very old bikes.Simplest way to tell is it is just heavy. Even lead dust is conspicuously heavy. Lead is also very hard to strip. If you have any reason to think you have found lead stop a while and reconsider project. Definitely no sanding on lead. Whatever you decide to do you have to have a plan to contain the residue, keep it from contaminating your workspace.

A color like rustoleum red or rustoleum yellow would be a clue. Grey would not go one way or the other. Reason to not use lead in the first place was that it was expensive, always. Reason some would use it would be the superb rust protection and it was easy to get a high quality smooth finish.
Old 12-08-19, 11:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
This is why I try to not use environmentally unfriendly procedures and/or products when engaged in most things that I do, especially restoring bicycles. That chemical, when you are done with it, does go somewhere else. Be Green, if you can and you can!