Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best electric tape for securing bar tape?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best electric tape for securing bar tape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 10:36 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
This looks similar to a tape i had used in the AF years ago when making cables housing many conductors. it was a bit thicker in the middle and had a green witness line that if just covered by the edge when wrapping was considered wrapped correctly. it needed a bit of a stretch to "bond" properly. neat stuff. do you only use that at the end? or for the entire bar?

looked more closely, just the ends. i switching to this.
Very interesting about that tape.
You learn something new every day.
I have never seen it but will look out for it.
I do find even ordinary electrical tape will hold/adhere better when stretched.
I always presumed it was the elasticity/stored energy in the tape that helped it work.
Old 01-07-20, 10:41 AM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Don't stretch the last inch or so. If you do, it will creep back and peel up. As someone else pointed out, self-fusing silicone tape is superior in every way and has no adhesive to ooze out and make a mess.
Good advice on not stretching the last inch or so.
You learn something new every day.😀

Last edited by PdalPowr; 01-07-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 10:49 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
No more electrical tape used here... I use this nifty silicone self fusing tape from Amazon. Holds tightly and never has any gooey reside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They also come in red, blue, yellow, orange. Good stuff and does not leave residue. Highly recommended.
Old 01-07-20, 10:51 AM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by AndreyT
Exactly the opposite is true. l
Different strokes for different folks I guess. 😉

Last edited by PdalPowr; 01-07-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 11:43 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
They also come in red, blue, yellow, orange. Good stuff and does not leave residue. Highly recommended.
Yes. Just be careful with it... once it sticks to itself, it’s not coming unstuck! Works great and no adhesive at all. I also used it to wrap the chainstay on my prior gravel bike. It held up very well.
Old 01-07-20, 01:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I wrap my bar tape towards the stem. Then when I get to the reinforcing sleeve on the handlebar I carefully cut the bar wrap at an angle so that it fits to the reinforcing sleeve handlebar joint. I secure my tape with gel cyanoacrylic glue so that there's no need for other tape at all.

Cheers
Old 01-08-20, 06:54 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
No more electrical tape used here... I use this nifty silicone self fusing tape from Amazon. Holds tightly and never has any gooey reside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use the self fusing tape as well. Should be available at any hardware store or any home improvement store. I generally have to cut it off when time to re-wrap.

Old 01-08-20, 07:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Yup- a mix of whats been mentioned a lot here is what I have found works best for me.

A few wraps of electrical tape where the first half is pulled tight and then the last full wrap is not tensioned.
Then a few wraps of self fusing tape where the first half is pulled tight(that stuff stretches) and then the last full wrap is not tensioned.
Both the electrical tape and silicone tape wrap to the edge of the bar tape and not over it. All 3 tapes end at the same point and along the same line.

Gives a clean and square look and bar tape never moves.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-08-20 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 07:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I wrap my bar tape towards the stem. Then when I get to the reinforcing sleeve on the handlebar I carefully cut the bar wrap at an angle so that it fits to the reinforcing sleeve handlebar joint. I secure my tape with gel cyanoacrylic glue so that there's no need for other tape at all.
Showing your age...or at least the age of your bikes. A reinforcing sleeve would be foreign to a lot of cyclists!
Old 01-08-20, 10:31 AM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
So like many people I secure my handlebar tape with black electrical tape. However, the most recent tape I bought doesn't stick very well and comes undone. And those pieces of tape they give you with the bar tape don't work very well and aren't very flexible. What specific brand of black electric tape has worked the best for you?
I've found if you wrap the tape around 5-10 times with a fairly good stretch then one more rotation with very little stretch then most any name brand electrical tape sticks well.
Old 01-08-20, 05:44 PM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by spelger
This looks similar to a tape i had used in the AF years ago when making cables housing many conductors. it was a bit thicker in the middle and had a green witness line that if just covered by the edge when wrapping was considered wrapped correctly. it needed a bit of a stretch to "bond" properly. neat stuff. do you only use that at the end? or for the entire bar?

looked more closely, just the ends. i switching to this.
I wonder if liquid electrical tape would work.
Old 01-08-20, 05:50 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A real easy way to secure the end of the electrical tape is to glue the end with Super Glue. It won't come loose after that.
Likes For jmess:
Old 01-09-20, 09:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,284 Times in 1,278 Posts
I don't use tape anymore. I start at the top of the bar and end at the plug end . This works better for me and stays tight . I use sticky back cotton tape that tucks in nicely with the plug at the end of the bar.
Old 01-09-20, 10:58 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Add one vote to 'finish with twine as per Rivendell video'. It takes about two minutes and looks much better.

Although when I used to use Dollar Store elec. tape I never had a problem that I can recall... but maybe that is a problem with my recollection.
Old 01-09-20, 11:19 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I could never get electrical tape to stay in place, always ended up making a goopy mess eventually. Heck, even when used on wiring it tends to end up a mess. I have gone to wrapping my bars from the top down and tucking the end of the tape into the end of the bar, secured with the bar end plug. Looks cleaner now and no chance of mess.
Old 01-09-20, 11:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Hemp twine, Interesting. What keeps it from falling off?

With another 6" of twine and barely more work, this could be a proper sailor's whip. Done right, it will last near forever. You can find the instructions in any old how-to-sail or marine knots book. I learned the whip when I was 10 and use it all the time. I don't use it here because 1) it never occurred to me, 2) I use waxed polyester twine which is much thinner and would take many more wraps than I have patience for and 3) I want black there like my bar tape. (And a permanent whip on very temporary bar tape seems kinda pointless, Got better things to do.) I do use quick and dirty whips all the time simply because they are so easy to do and are so useful.

Trick- buy very strong twine. Waxed helps. Tie bowline knots in each end. When finished, slip screwdrivers (or whatever; marlinespike was the traditional tool) into the bowlines and use as handles to pull the whip tight. As you pull tight, you can see the crossing of the lines you are pulling under the wraps. Make sure the crossing stays near the center as you pull tight. Done right, a rope ending in such a whip was expected to stay properly whipped through a hurricane in open ocean. (Failure and the rope unraveling could be one of those little things that add up to a very bad ending. Think - cell phones were still 200 years away. No radio. No search planes. Keeping things shipshape was life and death.) The whip on handlebar tape? Like on the Riviera for that knot!

Ben
Old 01-09-20, 11:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Caliper
I could never get electrical tape to stay in place, always ended up making a goopy mess eventually. Heck, even when used on wiring it tends to end up a mess. I have gone to wrapping my bars from the top down and tucking the end of the tape into the end of the bar, secured with the bar end plug. Looks cleaner now and no chance of mess.
Tricks - good electrical tape, see the many posts above. Wrap you bars so the tape comes back across the handlebar at the finish. Cut the tape just behind the brake/shift cable if you have those wrapped (ie aero brake levers or modern brifters). Now wrap your electrical tape in the same direction, again coming back across the top of the handlebars and ending in the same place, just behind the cables under the bar. (Directly under the bars if you do not have cables.) So, the number one thing to get right is the basic wrap direction, I start under the bar at the bar end and plug. Start going outboard, then up and inboard over the top of the drop. So, standing behind the bike, looking at the right handlebar drop and plug, the wrap starts counter-clockwise.

Done this way, when you ride, you will rarely be touching the tape ends. When you do, it will be when you are riding the tops of the handlebars, Your hands will be tending to pull the tape back in the direction of the wrap and if your fingers do come around enough to touch the tape end, you will be pulling it forward with your natural motion, trying to tighten it, not unwrap it or peel it off.

Ben
Old 01-09-20, 11:47 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I do use quick and dirty whips
I could use a quick and dirty whip...but that's a completely different discussion.

They do make that hemp twine in black.
Old 01-09-20, 11:55 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Quality electrical tape will have the UL logo (Underwriter Laboratories) in the inside of the cardboard roll it's wrapped around. If not, quality is suspect. Cheap electrical tape probably doesn't have this logo.
Old 01-09-20, 05:42 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Tricks - good electrical tape, see the many posts above.
If you like all that trouble, but I was suggesting wrapping the opposite direction as an upgrade that does away with electrical tape entirely.
Old 01-09-20, 05:53 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
There is one brand of electrical tape that stands out above the rest:, Nitto tape from Japan. Works in the jungle and works in Antarctica (used it in both places, so a super wide temperature tolerance) and won't come undone 600m under water. Perfect blend of stretch and strength.. But self amalgamating tape is better for bars anyway.
Old 01-09-20, 06:17 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Been using self-fusing for a few years now and will never go back to electrical tape.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 01-09-20, 08:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
I wonder if liquid electrical tape would work.

Handy for a number of things- valve stem rattle, fraying fabric, light water-sealing. I've used it on water bottle cages to increase grip on the bottle.

No tensile strength, 'tho, so wouldn't keep bar tape from unwrapping very well.
Old 01-09-20, 10:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I am happy with the 3M tape, that is generally what I have on hand or at the shop and it works just fine and dandy. Sometimes I even use electrical tape to put the bar tape down and put the strips that come with the bar tape on top of that but not often.
Old 01-09-20, 11:09 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Caliper
If you like all that trouble, but I was suggesting wrapping the opposite direction as an upgrade that does away with electrical tape entirely.
My bar tape holds up better wrapped from the top. (I don't roll the upper edge down with my hands. I wrapped from the top my first several bikes. When I started at the bottom it was a small revelation. The time the electrical tape takes is close to nothing, I often spent more time dealing with plug and tape ends. And now with wrapped cable housings, it is so much nicer to unwrap to get things right underneath with bartape ending at the top. (If you make it hard, Murphy's Law says you will have to mess with it later.)

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.