Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike touring with a trailer?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike touring with a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 03:53 PM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
thanks all I forgot about this thread. I have since bought my son a COOP bike with gears. he has to grow a little bit more into the bike. with the shut down of travel and parks we will have to rethink about camping bike plans.
I recently replace my beloved 2010 Trek 520, with 46,000 miles on it, with a CO-OP ADV 1.1, which I hope to continue to tour with. I only have about 1000 miles on it now, but I REALLY like it. It's a bicycle designed and built with touring in mind. Best value I could find after quite a bit of research. Hope your son enjoys his.
Old 04-20-20, 04:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I used an ExtraWheel trailer for 500+ miles in Alaska, on both paved and gravel roads. I have nothing but good things to say about the trailer. If your bike doesn't like the extra weight of racks and panniers, you might consider the ExtraWheel trailer instead of buying a dedicated touring bike that can haul your luggage on the bike's racks.
Old 04-20-20, 05:43 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
I recently replace my beloved 2010 Trek 520, with 46,000 miles on it, with a CO-OP ADV 1.1, which I hope to continue to tour with. I only have about 1000 miles on it now, but I REALLY like it. It's a bicycle designed and built with touring in mind. Best value I could find after quite a bit of research. Hope your son enjoys his.
Thanks I think he will when grows a touch more. The reach is pretty far and we did a ride or tow that his back was kinda hurting after a while.
Old 04-21-20, 03:29 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
My daughter and I used a BOB trailer for several multi-week trips on our tandem, including a coast-to-coast ride. They are not cheap new, but you might be able to get a good deal on a used one. They track wonderfully. On climbs, you know they are there, but that is their one drawback.
Old 04-21-20, 07:22 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Originally Posted by Karmatoo
I was looking for trailer some years ago for a longer tour. I ended up talking with the bike messengers in the town. Their suggestion was BOB. Yes it is expensive but believe me you want something that hold up when you are on the move.
I did a tour of a little over 1000 miles towing my BOB last September, and I liked it very much. I bought my second hand so it did not come with the 'DrySak". My only complaint was a slight wobble when descending at speeds in excess of about 20 mph. I have since heard that loading the trailer heavier towards the rear (i.e. loading the heavier items at the rear of the trailer) would help with that problem. I was carrying my gear in four separate bags that severely restricted my loading options. I have since purchased a 'DrySack', but I have not toured with it yet. I think I am into my YAK for about $132. (trailer (used) =$80, DrySak (used) =$45, kickstand parts =$7).

I am not sure I would own one if I had to pay retail, but given the quality and durability of the BOB YAK, I would have no hesitation with a used one.
Old 04-21-20, 07:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I don't personally tour with a trailer for a variety of reasons. Currently I pack light enough that most trailers weigh empty as much as my total base gear weight. When I packed heavier I chose panniers instead of a trailer. That said I have used trailers to haul heavy stuff around town.

I owned a one wheel trailer like the BoB and found the handling fine. Handling wise it was almost like it wasn't there. Weight wise... Well weight is always weight. I wouldn't want to go single tracking with the trailer, but, it would be nice to be able to quickly disconnect the load to go explore some single track.

I currently own a two wheel trailer. A cheap nashbar one. It hauls stuff like groceries fine. It also works as a garden cart. I could see someone happily touring with one. Again it weighs as much empty as my total base gear weight so it isn't for my current style of touring.

Trailers can be great for someone who wants to carry a lot on a bike that isn't up to the load. As I mentioned they can also carry a load on a mountain bike and allow you to disconnect the load for some quick single tracking. I can see someone using one for those and maybe other reasons. Me, I am not too likely to use a trailer for touring unless I were to want to do some very different style of touring than I have been doing in recent years.
Old 04-21-20, 08:10 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
This is an interesting single wheel bike trailer. Has anyone had any experience with these Maya Cycle trailers? Comes with a kickstand, turns itself into a "wheelbarrow" and is only $219 with dry bag.

https://www.mayacycle.com/bike-trail...icycle-trailer
Old 04-21-20, 08:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I used an ExtraWheel trailer for 500+ miles in Alaska, on both paved and gravel roads. I have nothing but good things to say about the trailer. If your bike doesn't like the extra weight of racks and panniers, you might consider the ExtraWheel trailer instead of buying a dedicated touring bike that can haul your luggage on the bike's racks.
I think this is the essence of the thing. I don't want to ride a touring specific bike. It's not the kind of ride that I like to get out of my bike. I'd rather ride something a bit more sporty and quick.

When you add in the weight differences between those two types of bikes, you get a weight advantage on the trailer as well as significant aero advantage with a very slight (as to be almost insignificant) increase in rolling resistance from an additional lightly loaded tire or two.

When you then look at buying a full on touring bike too, then the cost equation goes from even to way tipped in favor of a trailer.
Old 06-30-20, 11:25 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
… Sorry - forgot this picture

KFC, my wife and I are working on a tour using our tandem, we like the idea of a trailer to get weight off the rear wheel. I found a BOB trailer for sale in our area and picked it up for $70 so a similar deal to what you paid. It is one is the older design, which I think yours is too, which has a little different configuration for the cotter pin. Mine trailer did not come with the pins our quick release, I've gotten a quick release in the tandem sizing so that's good. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how the cotter pins fasten, I picked up a few from home depot which look to be correct size. If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a picture of how they attach to the BOB specific quick release? The fork ends of the trailer have holes drilled but I'm not sure I'm seeing how to fasten things. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 06-30-20, 11:27 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Originally Posted by KFC
… Sorry - forgot this picture

KFC, my wife and I are working on a tour using our tandem, we like the idea of a trailer to get weight off the rear wheel. I found a BOB trailer for sale in our area and picked it up for $70 so a similar deal to what you paid, mine included the dry bag which is black rather then the current yellow. It is one is the older design, which I think yours is too, which has a little different configuration for the cotter pin. Mine trailer did not come with the pins our quick release, I've gotten a quick release in the tandem sizing so that's good. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how the cotter pins fasten, I picked up a few from home depot which look to be correct size. If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a picture of how they attach to the BOB specific quick release? The fork ends of the trailer have holes drilled but I'm not sure I'm seeing how to fasten things. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 06-30-20, 12:32 PM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Originally Posted by Paul J
KFC, my wife and I are working on a tour using our tandem, we like the idea of a trailer to get weight off the rear wheel. I found a BOB trailer for sale in our area and picked it up for $70 so a similar deal to what you paid. It is one is the older design, which I think yours is too, which has a little different configuration for the cotter pin. Mine trailer did not come with the pins our quick release, I've gotten a quick release in the tandem sizing so that's good. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how the cotter pins fasten, I picked up a few from home depot which look to be correct size. If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a picture of how they attach to the BOB specific quick release? The fork ends of the trailer have holes drilled but I'm not sure I'm seeing how to fasten things. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Hi Paul - I am happy to post a picture of my trailer attached to the QR skewer. I am out on the rode today and tomorrow, but I should be home (where the trailer is) on Thursday. I hope that is not too late.
I too, purchased my 'cotter pins' at Home Depot. I recommend stainless steal. I keep the pins attached to the trailer with a lanyard and always carry a spare set while on tour.
Likes For KFC:
Old 06-30-20, 02:46 PM
Paul J

Originally Posted by KFC
Hi Paul - I am happy to post a picture of my trailer attached to the QR skewer. I am out on the rode today and tomorrow, but I should be home (where the trailer is) on Thursday. I hope that is not too late.
I too, purchased my 'cotter pins' at Home Depot. I recommend stainless steal. I keep the pins attached to the trailer with a lanyard and always carry a spare set while on tour.
No rush, I'm just working on getting everything back into good working order. I think the straight pin portion of the pin goes into the hole in the fork and that is what hold everything together. Thanks!
Old 06-30-20, 06:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
No rush, I'm just working on getting everything back into good working order. I think the straight pin portion of the pin goes into the hole in the fork and that is what hold everything together. Thanks!
I crossed the country with a small group in 1999. A few had BOBs. Back then, the pins did not have rubber attachments to secure them to the frame in case they popped out or you removed them and dropped them, like the newer models. One guy tied pink day Glo ribbons on his pins in case they came out in order to make them more easy to locate.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-01-20, 10:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Many hardware stores have a generic selection of pins like that old style pin. My Yakima bike rack that mounts on the receiver hitch has a similar pin, as does the carrying yoke for my solo canoe. It took me several tries on google to come up with a name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-clip

But that one for the trailer has an unusually large spring, that might not be stocked at most hardware stores.

Another name is "hitch clip pin"
Old 07-01-20, 08:37 PM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
I have had the Maya single wheeled trailer for about a year and absolutely love it. Tracks great and as long as the load is balanced you almost dont know its there!

If you go that route be sure they include the "improved axle". It looks much easier to work with than the original.
Old 07-07-20, 11:57 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

I am so sorry for the delay in getting this to you. I have been organizing a tour and it wasn't until I check the trailer that my ageing memory got jogged. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Stay SAfe...
/kfc

Likes For KFC:
Old 07-07-20, 03:42 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Isn't that upside down @KFC? I believe the cradle of clip snaps OVER the allen key nut on end of skewer to lock it in. See my photo/sketch at post 64 above. That photo is from BOB and it shows the big loop facing upward. I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I had that old clip so my memory may be bad. Try inserting yours my way and see if it works better.

Old 07-07-20, 08:40 PM
AeroNautiCal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Circe Atlas Folding Trailer which assembles without tools and folds down into it's own small carry bag when not in use.

The MRSP was £199 and I bought mine for £150 which I considered to be excellent value for such a well designed and manufactured, high quality trailer.

I specifically wanted a folding bicycle trailer to go with my folding bike and the Circe Atlas had excellent reviews and there's a great video of it on YouTube which shows the simple, fast assembly.

If I ever lost mine I'd replace it with another in a heartbeat!
Old 07-08-20, 10:47 AM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Here's a pic of the Maya trailer on the old workhorse.

Old 07-08-20, 07:00 PM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

[QUOTE=BobG;21574839]Isn't that upside down @KFC? I believe the cradle of clip snaps OVER the allen key nut on end of skewer to lock it in. See my photo/sketch at post 64 above. That photo is from BOB and it shows the big loop facing upward. I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I had that old clip so my memory may be bad. Try inserting yours my way and see if it works better.

[
I don't think so. I bought my trailer second hand and it came without the clips, which I subsequently ordered from 'BOBGEAR'. The picture shows the only way I can install the clips. I tried to insert the clips the way you show and they will not go. I designed the length of the straps I use to secure the clips so that you have to actually stretch the strap to get the pins in or out. Having said that I have toured over 2000 miles with this trailer, in all types of terrain and have never had a problem with the trailer detaching or the pins getting loose.
Old 07-09-20, 09:36 AM
Paul J

Thanks so much!

[QUOTE=KFC;21577097]
Originally Posted by BobG
Isn't that upside down @KFC? I believe the cradle of clip snaps OVER the allen key nut on end of skewer to lock it in. See my photo/sketch at post 64 above. That photo is from BOB and it shows the big loop facing upward. I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I had that old clip so my memory may be bad. Try inserting yours my way and see if it works better.

[
I don't think so. I bought my trailer second hand and it came without the clips, which I subsequently ordered from 'BOBGEAR'. The picture shows the only way I can install the clips. I tried to insert the clips the way you show and they will not go. I designed the length of the straps I use to secure the clips so that you have to actually stretch the strap to get the pins in or out. Having said that I have toured over 2000 miles with this trailer, in all types of terrain and have never had a problem with the trailer detaching or the pins getting loose.
This discussion was exactly why I had asked KFC for the picture. The way the picture above shows with the two different clips, I couldn't get it to work as there was no way you would get the curvy wire into the holes. So that was why I had asked for these pictures. Thanks again KFC for the picture! If someone does see a way to attach the other way please chime in. :-)
Old 07-09-20, 10:15 AM
BobG

@Paul J- If you PM me with your mailing address I'll send you several of the newer style pins with lanyard for the price of postage. I have ten of them sitting on my basement shelf. If you're handy you could drill a hole at the right spot on your old dropout and attach small bolts spaced out a bit to serve as the peg should your HD pins not fit.

Apparently KFC is right about how the old style attaches. It's been 25 years since I had that one. I wasn't trying to put the curvy side through in my sketch. I was thinking it went above the skewer nut, with cradle locked over nut with the straight side through the holes.

Last edited by BobG; 07-09-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
NB: the piece in # 71 is common, not unique to BoB trailers, They got the one seen in # 64 made for themselves ..
Old 07-09-20, 02:40 PM
BobG

Yep, KFC is right, I was wrong. And Paul J, a Home Depot pin (pictured below just for a test) fits my newer style BOB well. That said, the diameter is ever so slightly larger than the original pin. I drilled out the holes with a 7/64 bit to make it fit. The cradle snaps right over the rearward part of my more pointed drop out. My trailer is retired, I was just curious.

HD pin in newer style BOB dropout

Last edited by BobG; 07-10-20 at 05:33 AM. Reason: original erroneous post deleted
Old 07-10-20, 09:05 AM
Paul J

Originally Posted by BobG
@Paul J- If you PM me with your mailing address I'll send you several of the newer style pins with lanyard for the price of postage. I have ten of them sitting on my basement shelf. If you're handy you could drill a hole at the right spot on your old dropout and attach small bolts spaced out a bit to serve as the peg should your HD pins not fit.

Apparently KFC is right about how the old style attaches. It's been 25 years since I had that one. I wasn't trying to put the curvy side through in my sketch. I was thinking it went above the skewer nut, with cradle locked over nut with the straight side through the holes.
You guys are the best! It is amazing what we can do as a community. Thanks for the offer BobG I may get back with you on this. I was able to get the old style pins at Home Depot so am good for now but might want to do that retro-fit idea at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.