Old 04-26-20, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12040 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,891 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Do not believe everything you read on the internet. In a time of crisis believe even less, as unqualified people with a personal agenda are free to make their anecdotal experiences public.

Dont be foolish, take your medical advice from recognized medical experts ONLY.

That is all.
This shouldn't need to be said, but obviously does need saying. Thanks for the reminder to one and all. Words to the wise.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-26-20, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12040 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,891 Posts
I'm not the one calling people names. You've been doing a lot of that in here.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-26-20, 12:12 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
when you fast it eats your ribosomes and then makes new ones when you break the fast, ones which have perfectly repaired DNA.
Ribosomes don't contain DNA. They contain RNA. That is why they are called ribosomes. Is this what the "extensive scientific education and IQ in the 150s" enabled you to aspire to?

Even the 1970s textbooks didn't make that mistake (although they comically claimed the RNA was present as scaffolding.)

It's great you have textbook knowledge from the 70s to share with us but you really need to keep abreast of modern research too if you want to stay current.
I'm not sure you want to go down this path...

Last edited by wgscott; 04-26-20 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added the arrogant quote
Old 04-26-20, 12:23 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Why don't you go through the studies and prove them wrong? Oh wait I know it's because you are uneducated and have absolutely no ability to make a real argument and can only call names like a little child.
It is not so much that they are wrong, but that they might not be relevant to establishing the veracity of your claim. Take the Cell paper you linked. It is about memory T cell proliferation. This could be crucial, potentially, for establishing long-term immunity and/or making vaccinations work better. But it is the acute cytotoxic T-cell response, and the innate immune response, that enable you to clear the SARS-CoV-2 infection. The secondary response that this paper addresses is a different phenomenon. So even if fasting improves the memory T-cell response, it isn't what enabled you to clear the infection.

BTW, did you in fact get infected? The OP implies that this is the case (assuming I was wrong about the copy/paste).
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-26-20, 12:38 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
It is not so much that they are wrong, but that they might not be relevant to establishing the veracity of your claim. Take the Cell paper you linked. It is about memory T cell proliferation. This could be crucial, potentially, for establishing long-term immunity and/or making vaccinations work better. But it is the acute cytotoxic T-cell response, and the innate immune response, that enable you to clear the SARS-CoV-2 infection. The secondary response that this paper addresses is a different phenomenon. So even if fasting improves the memory T-cell response, it isn't what enabled you to clear the infection.

BTW, did you in fact get infected? The OP implies that this is the case (assuming I was wrong about the copy/paste).
Yes I got infected through a family member who is a healthcare worker. I also know two people who died of it though they are more friends of the family than people I know well. Both in their 40s and in good shape.

If fasting lets macrophages get to the surface of your mucous membranes more easily, to pick one example, we don't have to test this out for every single virus. We already know what macrophages do. Fasting very obviously increases immune function so you don't really need to study each virus to figure this out. They are also treating people with interferon and interferon is released in the body when you fast, which helps shut down the ability of viruses to replicate. We don't need to test whether interferon will impair viral replication for this new virus because we already know it will because we know how the virus replicates and we know this method is shut down by interferon. It also shuts down replication much more effectively than that by totally destroying ribosomes, without which there is absolutely no replication. This will greatly slow the spread of the virus through your system.

Just like we know vitamin D boosts the immune system, we know fasting boosts the immune system. It is not in dispute except by forum knowitalls apparently. Now if you get on a ventilator and start fasting will it instantly cure you? Of course not. But you are very foolish to walk around with a vitamin D deficiency while a serious virus is going around. And this is one more way you can boost and repair your immune system and help ensure if you get it you have a good outcome, and reduce the chances you get it at all by boosting your innate immune system so it's more likely stray virus particles will be rendered harmless before they can take hold.
Old 04-26-20, 12:42 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17995 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Shouldn't this be in the "it's not a hoax" thread?
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
We need another thread for quackery.
Not true, your cell will only die when you are in anabolic mode if you shut down the ribosomes. In fact when you fast it eats your ribosomes and then makes new ones when you break the fast, ones which have perfectly repaired DNA. When you fast your body slows down on making new cells so you will not have this issue. This also protects the body from cell death from chemotherapy treatment which is why fasting is now used by oncologists as an adjunct to chemotherapy. Patients not only have fewer side effects but can tolerate 3-5x as much chemotherapy treatment safely. It's great you have textbook knowledge from the 70s to share with us but you really need to keep abreast of modern research too if you want to stay current.

Even the 1970s textbooks didn't make that mistake (although they comically claimed the RNA was present as scaffolding.)

I'm not sure you want to go down this path...
...with all this talk about the 1970's science texts, and quackery versus solid science, and a request for a dedicated thread, I am tempted to start one called "Ask Dr. Science".

I got a lot of enjoyment out of those radio segments by the Duck's Breath Mystery Theater, and I daresay I would not be the rational and science minded person I am today without them (and a lot of weed ) They did some TV work in the 80's, but by then I was clean and sober.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-26-20, 12:44 PM
Oneder
Banned.

If you can't support your opinion don't post it, it is irrelevant. That is not how science works, it works on data and testing hypotheses. I have posted about a dozen papers to support what I have said, in fact I post no opinions at all only excerpts from studies. Considering the volume of studies I posted it's very obvious no one read them all already. If you do argue you are arguing not against me but against dozens of PHDs conducting research.
Old 04-26-20, 12:48 PM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3932 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 753 Posts
ARDS is literally just inflammation, caused by a cytokine storm. A cytokine is an anflammatory body of the immune system. FYI it is also the same exact body which causes long term inflammation in the body which ketosis aids with.

Most of those symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with ARDS. SARS-2 is not ARDS, ARDS is a SYMPTOM. A symptom that is also caused by other illnesses.

You can listen and look into it yourself and read STUDIES from various universities and journals, or you can just hope for the best. Either way I don't care, if people are smart enough to help themselves and remedy their ignorance then great. If not, it's just darwin in action. I got my n95 masks in jan when 99% of you had no idea this even existed, and my IQ is in the 150s and I am highly educated in scientific fields. But it's 100% up to the individual to assess things for themselves. If you can't even bother to read a few studies then I have no sympathy if you then get a bad result.
Just wanted to preserve this gem.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-26-20, 12:49 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

I have posted about a dozen papers to support what I have said.
My point is very simple: They don't support what you have said. They very simply aren't relevant to your claim.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-26-20, 12:59 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

If you can't support your opinion don't post it, it is irrelevant. That is not how science works, it works on data and testing hypotheses. I have posted about a dozen papers to support what I have said, in fact I post no opinions at all only excerpts from studies. Considering the volume of studies I posted it's very obvious no one read them all already. If you do argue you are arguing not against me but against dozens of PHDs conducting research.
...are you and your 150 IQ familiar with the various delightful variations on the fallacy of Argument from Authority ? It's quite interesting in the various permutations and combinations with which it can be employed. In this particular case, you have, (and quite creatively, I might add by way of compliment,) at one and the same time, indulged in both Argument from Authority ( your quoted studies), and Argument from non-Authority ( yourself). A truly tasty melange of flavors in the tradition of Dr. Science. Kudos.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-26-20, 01:01 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Just wanted to preserve this gem.
...on behalf of all of posterity, (for whom I have been chosen to speak because of my very high IQ), I'd just like to say, "Thanks".
Old 04-26-20, 01:05 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-26-20, 01:12 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by BillyD View Post

Dont be foolish, take your medical advice from recognized medical experts ONLY.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-26-20, 01:15 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
Yes only the private clinics did this, the poor people got 30 grams of aspirin as 'treatment' and dropped dead in days.
In 1918 they wheeled patients out into the sun in many areas and it worked very well. It also stimulates vitamin D production which is crucial to the immune system.
Tell that to all the sun ray healed tuberculosis patients that are buried at all those sanatoriums from back in the day. Ridiculous,... Then there's the wonderful Spanish Flu pandemic, of which you've stated the poor victims of only received 30mgs of aspirin for. Pathetic,...

Yes, intermittent fasting does show promise for high BP, high cholesterol levels, etc. For Covid-19? Nothing, and you're shared level of quackery is appalling. I have over 80+ coworkers who've died from this virus, and SOME were hardcore vegans, including people who practice intermittent fasting. The fasting, apparently, didn't work for them. One of my supervisors is a PRACTICING vegan and fasts,...he's scared to death of contracting Covid-19. Especially since he had to watch his best friend and his sister-in-law die, suffering from this illness. You're someone who had an immune system that was strong enough to weather the storm, and your fasting had 0% to do with it.

Update: 100+ coworkers have now passed away from Covid-19,...

Last edited by tds101; 04-26-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-26-20, 01:17 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
You'd have received much less push back if you'd titled the OP 'I beat the coronavirus while fasting'
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-26-20, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
If you feel you have to claim a high IQ to convince someone, you aren't going to be very convincing.

​​​​​OP is clearly impervious to the point that his/her links don't support the wild inferences he/she is making.

BTW, I could just as plausibly claim that the huge amount of coffee I drink every morning has prevented me from contracting the virus at all.

Finally, if someone's evidence is that they've recovered from CV, that's pretty bad even for anecdote. It now appears that most people don't really get seriously ill with it at all. He/she has pretty well described the course of the illness for most people who contract it. Lots of people who get it die, and even more get seriously ill. The large majority of people who contract it do neither. I'm pretty sure very few of those people were fasting.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-20, 01:42 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Who the hell gets their IQ measured?

From what I surmise from the OP, Vitamin D and fasting correlate with getting infected with SARS-CoV-2. So I am going to sit inside and pig out, where it is safe.
Old 04-26-20, 01:44 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 252 Posts
In 1918 they wheeled patients out into the sun in many areas and it worked very well. It also stimulates vitamin D production which is crucial to the immune system.
I was being sarcastic about UV rays and tanning beds and I hope nobody takes this seriously as I don't want to be held responsible for another persons demise...I don't think that there is any medical evidence that supports putting people out in the sun to cure covid19 or to cure influenza or any other virus..
Old 04-26-20, 01:46 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I was being sarcastic about UV rays and tanning beds and I hope nobody takes this seriously as I don't want to be held responsible for another persons demise...I don't think that there is any medical evidence that supports putting people out in the sun to cure covid19 or to cure influenza or any other virus..

It does clear up my general pallor, however.
Old 04-26-20, 01:50 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
If you are well enough to go outside and you're not endangering anybody else, its probably good to go outside and catch a few rays. It won't cure anything but it may improve your mood.
Old 04-26-20, 01:57 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 252 Posts
I am pretty sure OPs covid19 infection was one of those milder ones which many people experience and recover without doing anything special....I highly doubt that fasting would cure a very serious case of covid19 without having to go into ICU and stay on ventilator.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-26-20, 02:17 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts
Who the hell gets their IQ measured?

From what I surmise from the OP, Vitamin D and fasting correlate with getting infected with SARS-CoV-2. So I am going to sit inside and pig out, where it is safe.
I scored 500 on an internet IQ test, therefore I am smarter.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 04-26-20, 02:29 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts
It's a FACT that ketosis dramatically reduces inflammation and ARDS is just inflammation. Drug companies fund almost all the research of course they have no interest in non pharmaceutical interventions lol But keep believing whatever MSM said last week and let me know how that works out for you. I got my n95 masks back in January and even right up til april the news was telling everyone masks are totally unneeded lol I got over it fine, and everyone else I know who got it was in a world of hurt and 2 died. Maybe I am just dumb but lucky but considering I was stocked up on food and PPE before 99% of the population even heard of the coronavirus maybe just maybe I have more brains than you seem to think.
Why are you using a mask when you are protected by fasting? And you still caught the virus while wearing a n95 mask?
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 04-26-20, 02:31 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Tell that to all the sun ray healed tuberculosis patients that are buried at all those sanatoriums from back in the day. Ridiculous,...
Did they die from the sun? Are you seriously suggesting they would have done better with vitamin D deficiency?

Then there's the wonderful Spanish Flu pandemic, of which you've stated the poor victims of only received 30mgs of aspirin for. Pathetic,...
Look it up, it's true. Overprescribing of aspirin is now believed to be the main cause of death. Not surprising when doctors kill over 100k people every year with improperly prescribed or delivered medicine.

Yes, intermittent fasting does show promise for high BP, high cholesterol levels, etc. For Covid-19? Nothing, and you're shared level of quackery is appalling.
Will having high blood pressure or diabetes make you more susceptible to death from covid 19? Why yes it will. In fact people with diabetes have awful immune systems and fasting does all the opposite things that cause problems in people with diabetes.

I have over 80+ coworkers who've died from this virus, and SOME were hardcore vegans,
Well veganism is the least healthy diet possible short of a fast food only diet and nothing I would ever support.
including people who practice intermittent fasting. The fasting, apparently, didn't work for them.
Did it make it worse? Did it make it better? No one is claiming a miracle cure so don't start BSing me. It will help your immune system, that is just what the data says. If you disagree do your own study and see if you can replicate it or not, otherwise you are just expressing your opinion.
One of my supervisors is a PRACTICING vegan and fasts,...he's scared to death of contracting Covid-19.
Well if he didn't get it yet then it's probably not hurting, is it? Vegans often say they fast but they are doing juice fasts, that has some benefits too but it is much less than doing water fasts. Intermittent fasting will definitely help with your health and many studies show this, but it also takes a lot of time for it to work if you are just fasting 16 hours a day, it is not a huge effect. You will get much more results with a 36 hour fast, at least ten times the autophagy, and much more than that doing a 72 hour or more fast. It's not magic or anything but it will definitely help out your immune system.

Especially since he had to watch his best friend and his sister-in-law die, suffering from this illness. You're someone who had an immune system that was strong enough to weather the storm, and your fasting had 0% to do with it.

Update: 100+ coworkers have now passed away from Covid-19,...
Yeah yeah I know people who are dead from it too as I mentioned already and half my family caught it and had a much rougher time than I did. THAT IS WHY I AM MAKING THIS THREAD. If only they listened to me maybe they would have had it much easier, like I did. Maybe not, it's true it could be coincidence. However the data ie FACTS show that fasting boosts the immune system in wide variety of ways. You should be happy for anything that might give you or others an edge and hopefully keep them from getting to the hospital in the first place.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 04-26-20, 02:54 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 308 Posts
Exclamation

I need to know who had the craziest hair between Oneder and wgscott. That's how I'll know which one is the more accomplished scientist. That's how this works, right? I've never been in a pandemic before...
Likes For Unca_Sam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.