Reload this Page >

The resurgence of the "speakeasy" due to COVID-19 restrictions

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

The resurgence of the "speakeasy" due to COVID-19 restrictions

Old 05-01-20, 12:19 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
I....

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. It's following the recommendations. Humble acts of obedience will ultimately save lives, because this isn't going away so fast.
But that is so unpatriotic! We all know the Declaration of Independence promotes "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", as in my liberty (at the expense perhaps of your life and your pursuit of happiness).

And that "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." bit. Just the blathering of a Massachusetts liberal.

Listened last night to a CD and song "Walk Humbly". True humility is a lost concept in this world. I am no saint, but I stay home, do one excursion a week to do all my shopping. Not perfect but I try to do my best so that I do not bring this home and sentence my housemate to his end, One of the songs in that CD is "I Ain't Afraid to Die". I'm not. I've been on the edge 3 times and I am quite sure I do not get another pass. But I do have a choice, live free and die now or suck it up now and be as useful a person as I can for my remaining years.

And an apology to all. I sometimes get rather cynical on these forums. Yes, I am no saint.

Ben
Old 05-01-20, 12:35 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 470 Posts
Well I see that the same 5 or 6 people that have politicizing the absolute hell out of this topic (and stifling all contrary opinions) are out in force today. Not gonna debate you individually. you guys take turn attacking from different angles like wolves. The 2020 election will be soon, and you can all go back to P &R then.

Something to chew on, have fun with your sick 2020 election campaign: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot
Old 05-01-20, 12:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12040 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,891 Posts
You're in a cheerful mood today.

You said they're throwing the entire constitution away and then you're upset that other people are being too political?
Old 05-01-20, 12:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12040 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,891 Posts
$100 for a bagel sandwich?
Old 05-01-20, 12:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
$100 for a bagel sandwich?
farm fresh eggs in a pandemic, and flour is hard to come by
Old 05-01-20, 12:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 470 Posts
Well it includes taxes.
Old 05-01-20, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
You're in a cheerful mood today.

You said they're throwing the entire constitution away and then you're upset that other people are being too political?

Ssssshhh! You'll ruin the victim act.
Old 05-01-20, 02:33 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
You think that's bad? The state of New Hampshire just started coining money and granting letters of marque and reprisal in my living room.
Letters of marque. I always wanted one so I could so I could attack and capture American merchant men.

Well, okay, not really, but I like the song.

Old 05-01-20, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Letters of marque. I always wanted one so I could so I could attack and capture American merchant men.

Well, okay, not really, but I like the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

I got me one and I'm trolling for booty on Lake Winnipesaukee this weekend.
Old 05-01-20, 02:59 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
I got me one and I'm trolling for booty on Lake Winnipesaukee this weekend.
It could be a weapon in the trade war. Letters of marque for use against countries that have an unfavourable trade balance with the US.
Old 05-01-20, 03:33 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
Is this a california only thread? Lemond referred to 'a' governor?

Bottom line is all the patriots complaining about their rights talk out one side of their mouths about America and the other is all me me me.

Stay home because it's good for your country. Wear a mask because it's good for your countrymen. Obey shut down business, or distance rules because it's good for your countrymen.

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. It's following the recommendations. Humble acts of obedience will ultimately save lives, because this isn't going away so fast.
Apologies ... I thought you were referring to my post.

We'll have to agree to disagree if it is patriotic to question the government when you believe they have overstepped their bounds or are doing the wrong thing. Carry on.

Old 05-01-20, 03:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Nah. I don't agree to disagree with you. You can be wrong. I'm ok with that. I thought you said above it was irresponsible of restaurants to open illegally. That would put us on the same page. I'm not sure where questioning the government comes in. You sure to seem to make some amazing leaps. Sure you can question. Folks shirking the rules is selfish and irresponsible though. I'm all for an abundance of caution and limiting people's rights by curtailing what we can do until this shakes out. The value of lives is more important to me. But I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.
Old 05-01-20, 04:15 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
It's happening here in IL at least. With another month of restrictions possible, some small restaurants and bars have started offering dine-in service to regular customers and friends.

I went to one of these establishments this weekend, and it's almost exactly like you'd imagine it. One or two employees standing at the door to stop any unknowns from coming in, curtains pulled, and groups of people spaced a few tables apart. Everyone, staff included, has been over served. The staff is completely disregarding social distancing between themselves. The owner is going around hugging people as if there's nothing going on. There's an automatic 20% service fee and you are still expected to tip. Food offerings are somewhat limited, smaller servings, and more hastily prepared than usual to accommodate the to-go crowd. The atmosphere is happy-go-lucky and loud, but you feel like a fight could break out at any moment because of the sheer level of intoxication of the crowd.

Honestly I was high from the experience of feeling somewhat normal for the hour I was there, but I felt like a fool later on, and don't think I'll go again for obvious reasons. Part of me feels glad that the employees aren't completely laid off, but the other part of me feels like the owners of these establishments are taking advantage of a dangerous situation to recoup their own losses, and putting A LOT of people at risk in the process.

So, has anyone else seen anything similar? Would you report them if you had?
Why would you report them ??...when you yourself are going to and hanging out at the same place that they are ??
Old 05-01-20, 04:16 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Nah. I don't agree to disagree with you. You can be wrong. I'm ok with that. I thought you said above it was irresponsible of restaurants to open illegally. That would put us on the same page. I'm not sure where questioning the government comes in. You sure to seem to make some amazing leaps. Sure you can question. Folks shirking the rules is selfish and irresponsible though. I'm all for an abundance of caution and limiting people's rights by curtailing what we can do until this shakes out. The value of lives is more important to me. But I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.
Lots of strawman arguments in there, which I am not going to respond to.

But for the record, I DO agree that it is irresponsible for restaurants to open illegally. And as I also said, if I saw an eat-easy ... I would be inclined to report them.

Last edited by Biker395; 05-01-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 04:45 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 252 Posts
What if you see a group ride, are you going to call 911 and report them ??.
Old 05-01-20, 04:49 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

"lots'

I offer my opinion.

"I'm all for..."

"more important to me..."

You agree with me, yet still want to argue. Have fun with it.
Old 05-01-20, 05:53 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Why would you report them ??...when you yourself are going to and hanging out at the same place that they are ??
I wouldn't in this case. I mostly wondered if that would be anyone's gut reaction if they had witnessed something along those lines.
Old 05-01-20, 07:03 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
What if you see a group ride, are you going to call 911 and report them ??.

Really not much point of that, the event is over before I could report. It's also a major difference in scale, the illegal restaurant is going to expose hundreds. Point is the cheating undermines the effectiveness significantly, and I'm absolutely not going in and I would report it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-20, 07:35 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 43 Posts
Really not much point of that, the event is over before I could report. It's also a major difference in scale, the illegal restaurant is going to expose hundreds. Point is the cheating undermines the effectiveness significantly, and I'm absolutely not going in and I would report it.
I can't imagine having someone like you as a neighbor.... Get off my lawn... I'm calling the law... Lol
Old 05-02-20, 09:03 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Originally Posted by 308jerry View Post
I can't imagine having someone like you as a neighbor.... Get off my lawn... I'm calling the law... Lol

I can't imagine not understanding the difference between setting up a superspreading environment and going on someone's lawn. I'm quite happy not to have someone like that as a neighbor.
Old 05-02-20, 09:28 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
The lockdown will continue, until most of the small businesses are bankrupt.

Patriotism at its finest eh?

Old 05-04-20, 12:41 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by SHBR View Post

My kinda girl. The cellphone in the pink case is a nice touch ...

Old 05-04-20, 03:55 PM
GeneO

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
So you are saying that a governor can suspend the entire US Constitution and Bill of Rights, as long as he wants, as long as said suspension wasn't arbitrary or capricious? That does not sound right to me, sorry.
How, specifically, does this suspend the Bill of Rights and Constitution? Which amendment and right? Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?

Aww gee, I was late to the party, I see the wolves already drove this one off.

Last edited by GeneO; 05-04-20 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 05-05-20, 04:41 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
How, specifically, does this suspend the Bill of Rights and Constitution? Which amendment and right? Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?

Aww gee, I was late to the party, I see the wolves already drove this one off.

How-oooooo!
Old 05-05-20, 04:59 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 470 Posts
Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?You guys have a resident Constitutional Law professor here, who rides solo centuries daily, that could easily explain this stuff to you.

Here are some of the rights implicated, since you obviously have not taken a civics or constitutional law class in your entire life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_assembly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?
Is this supposed to be funny? Who ever said those laws were not still in effect? 1 point for snark.

Look, if you don't have a problem paying taxes to a govt that's shut down and not doing its job, you have that right. Some people are not bothered by things like this, I am very concerned seeing my tax money wasted.

And if you have the resources to ride this thing out in Mommy's basement. more power to ya! Many of us do not have sick leave or benefits that will get us through this, and many small businesses will be forced to shut down. If you think this is funny, entertaining, and a good opportunity to score political points, I don't know what to say, maybe get your own late night political show.
Likes For Lemond1985:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.