Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Deore M591 Triple Crank with Road front derailleur

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 06:02 PM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji touring, 2015 specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hello, Cycling enthusiasts.

I am gearing up to overhaul my 2016 Fuji Touring. I want to use road brifters.

I have some Sora 9x3 STI levers. Everything on this bike is compatible with the shifters accept... You guessed it: the front Derailleur.

I am running a shimano M591 MTB crank, and standard 11-34 in the rear. I happen to love this crank and will not compromise for anything else.

There are a couple of solutions (discovered through hours of confusing research), none of which seem to be definitive.

1. Use a Microshift R539 FD. Some have claimed to use this FD on 48/36/26 MTB cranks problem free. If this doesn’t quite swing with the crank’s chainline:
A.modify or purchase a braze-on adapter mount which will extend FD chainline by 5mm (product recommendations welcomed)
B. Modify derailleur by filing down the outer-limit-stops, allowing it to (Theoretically) swing to the large chainring

2. Use Stock derailleur with a Jtek Shiftmate 7 or comparable product (which I can’t seem to find in the US ANYWHERE!)

3. Use a different brand of road derailleur that is MTB crank compatible (which I have not yet discovered)

4. Chainring spacers

Anyone ever do this successfully with the Microshift FD or any other way, and if so, how? I know this is possible. Not easy, but possible.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-20, 06:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I think you have a chainline issue. Road bikes and many touring bikes' drivetains are setup to run a 45-46 mm chainline. Mountain bike use a 50 mm chainline. Road FDs are not made to handle that range. IMO the Tiagra 4503 9 spd , triple FD is the one of most flexible FDs. However, even if you could find one, I'm not sure it would work. I've solved the problem on several bikes using a shorter bottom bracket, but I don't believe you have that option.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-09-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 06:57 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
What Doug said, but if the Tiagra won't work for you, I have found this IRD Alpina front derailler to work for my smaller chain ring triples and STI, available for braze on or buy the available clamp if needed. Very well made and is nicely finished.

https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...rch=derailleur
Likes For robow:
Old 05-08-20, 10:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Crank
Hello, Cycling enthusiasts.

I am gearing up to overhaul my 2016 Fuji Touring. I want to use road brifters.

I have some Sora 9x3 STI levers. Everything on this bike is compatible with the shifters accept... You guessed it: the front Derailleur.

I am running a shimano M591 MTB crank, and standard 11-34 in the rear. I happen to love this crank and will not compromise for anything else.

There are a couple of solutions (discovered through hours of confusing research), none of which seem to be definitive.

1. Use a Microshift R539 FD. Some have claimed to use this FD on 48/36/26 MTB cranks problem free. If this doesn’t quite swing with the crank’s chainline:
A.modify or purchase a braze-on adapter mount which will extend FD chainline by 5mm (product recommendations welcomed)
B. Modify derailleur by filing down the outer-limit-stops, allowing it to (Theoretically) swing to the large chainring

2. Use Stock derailleur with a Jtek Shiftmate 7 or comparable product (which I can’t seem to find in the US ANYWHERE!)

3. Use a different brand of road derailleur that is MTB crank compatible (which I have not yet discovered)

4. Chainring spacers

Anyone ever do this successfully with the Microshift FD or any other way, and if so, how? I know this is possible. Not easy, but possible.

Thanks!
The crank you are looking at is the less expensive brother of this crank

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

There are a couple of differences between my crank and yours. First, I’m using a 46 tooth outer. I’m also using a 20 tooth inner. You should be able to see that the front derailer is a Shimano road derailer. The 20 tooth chainwheel tests the limits of the derailer but it is up to the task. I’ve had several different road fronts with this kind of configuration and not had problems with them. The only exception is the IRD Alpine front derailer.

As to the chainline, it’s far easier to adjust the chainline on an external bottom bracket than an internal one. For internal bottom brackets, you can only change the chainline by changing the bottom bracket since they come in different lengths. For external, you just change the spacers or move them from one side to the other. The spindle length remains the same. It’s fairly simple.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-20, 10:36 AM
Cpn_Crank
Tourer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji touring, 2015 specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I think you have a chainline issue. Road bikes and many touring bikes' drivetains are setup to run a 45-46 mm chainline. Mountain bike use a 50 mm chainline. Road FDs are not made to handle that range. IMO the Tiagra 4503 9 spd , triple FD is the one of most flexible FDs. However, even if you could find one, I'm not sure it woould work. I've solved the problem on several bikes using a shorter bottom bracket, but I don't believe you have that option.
This is a great suggestion. As you’d suggested, finding one is the issue. I looked into it. I’ve had a revelation in doing so.

It turns out that the Gevenalle shifters piqued my interest. Same exact stuff I had on there before (MS Barends, plain Tektro LP levers), accept all on the hoods, which I prefer. My father is a machinist, and could likely mill this mount.

thanks for your suggestion. I’m going to keep my eye out for the tiagra shifters for the bin (or to just use)
Old 05-08-20, 07:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Crank
This is a great suggestion. As you’d suggested, finding one is the issue. I looked into it. I’ve had a revelation in doing so.

It turns out that the Gevenalle shifters piqued my interest. Same exact stuff I had on there before (MS Barends, plain Tektro LP levers), accept all on the hoods, which I prefer. My father is a machinist, and could likely mill this mount.

thanks for your suggestion. I’m going to keep my eye out for the tiagra shifters for the bin (or to just use)
I love my Gevenalle setup, have ridden a lot with them. They are a neat setup.
but I do love my sti shifters too, they are great.

good luck trying to replicate the Gevenalle set up.