Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike touring with a trailer?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-24-18, 11:48 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

anyone ever bike toured with a trailer? I am looking at buying a cheap one wheel trailer to attach to my Journeyman so my son and I might be able to do an overnight on the Greenbrier next year.

Any suggestions as to a good low cost trailer to haul overnight camping supplies?
Old 09-24-18, 11:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Interested to see if cheap, one-wheeled trailers that I would consider using actually exist. I have a B.O.B. in my basement that I bought so my ex-GF could use it for touring. Never used it myself.
Old 09-24-18, 11:56 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@indyfabz i have looked at the BOB but it is pretty $teap. I know I get what I what I pay for but I am wondering if a cheaper trailer is a viable option. Would a trailer be the best way to go to carry supplies for an overnight?
Likes For RidingMatthew:
Old 09-24-18, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
@indyfabz Would a trailer be the best way to go to carry supplies for an overnight?
Probably the simplest way to go.
Old 09-24-18, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
We see a few touring the coast every month, during the summer, BoBs primarily..

At the end of east-west tours, they sell theirs, get bought cheap,
from someone who did not want to ship it home ..
Old 09-24-18, 12:28 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by fietsbob
We see a few touring the coast every month, during the summer, BoBs primarily..

At the end of east-west tours, they sell theirs, get bought cheap,
from someone who did not want to ship it home ..
i am on the wrong coast for that to work haha
Old 09-24-18, 12:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I occasionally see two wheel kiddie type trailers at a garage sale. Several years ago a friend of mine used one to haul his camping gear for a week long tour behind his mountain bike. And I occasionally see them used to haul a load of groceries home from the store.

I have toured with Bike Friday owners that used the Bike Friday travel case as a two wheel trailer.

But I have never seen a cheap one wheel trailer that was capable of bike touring.
Old 09-24-18, 01:13 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

i was thinking about something similar to this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aosom-Sol...5140b89f5621c7
Old 09-24-18, 01:57 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
Low cost is probably the key sticking point...

I do have three trailers and use them for slightly different purposes:
1. I have an Extra Wheel trailer that I've used on a 6-week trip across the western USA and also used in Kashmir, India. I really like that trailer as it is pretty stable and tracks close to the rear wheel. It also lets me re-use panniers.
2. I have a Bob. I mostly use it for carrying stuff around town. It carries more than my Extrawheel but is also slightly heavier itself.
3. I have a Burley Travoy that is my two wheel trailer for groceries around town. It does that purpose well, though wouldn't be my choice for touring.
Depending on your budget they might not fit your low cost criteria but the do the job.
Old 09-24-18, 02:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
i was thinking about something similar to this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aosom-Sol...5140b89f5621c7
looks like it would work fine to me. Bike overnights with ur son are about as cool as can be!
Old 09-24-18, 02:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
i am on the wrong coast for that to work haha
Probably too late in the season, but you might try contacting some bike shops in the Williamsburg/Yorktown/Norfolk area and see if they have any left over from eastbound cyclists. Next year, you might keep an eye on craigslist in the same area.

Spend an extra night and explore Colonial Wlliamsburg. Road trip!
Old 09-24-18, 03:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If it is any good, that is a great price.
Old 09-24-18, 04:45 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
looks like it would work fine to me. Bike overnights with ur son are about as cool as can be!
yeah he enjoys camping and biking as do I. I figured we might be able to combine the two. He has ridden 17.4 miles around a lake (gravel and paved trail) I was thinking if we could get a geared bike he could ride and really enjoy it.

I am thinking that we could get get 12-15 miles the first day and 10-15 the second day and he will have have ridden from Cass to Marlinton.
Old 09-24-18, 04:48 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If it is any good, that is a great price.
any particular things I need to look for in a trailer? it looks like it has a spring? shock mechanism.

Might be heavy as all get out but I dont thing that I can fit all of our stuff in panniers.
Old 09-24-18, 04:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
For 10 or 20 overnights, that trailer is going to be adequate. For a cross country trip, not so much.

That said, I have trailers and have used them for mostly off-road touring. I also tried one while training for a road tour. I'm not a huge fan. In my experience, they have a negative effect on the handling. They push the rear end around in odd ways that you aren't used to. Under heavy breaking on a downhill, the trailer lifts the rear of the bike and makes it feel vague. This is on fairly steep downhills, however.

Panniers perform better in my opinion but a trailer will do. Just be aware of the handling issues and adjust accordingly.

any particular things I need to look for in a trailer? it looks like it has a spring? shock mechanism.
Adding anything like a shock system will significantly increase the cost of the trailer. A B.O.B. Yak, for example, is about $330. An Ibex is $409. I'm not sure the suspension is worth the extra $70.

Might be heavy as all get out but I dont thing that I can fit all of our stuff in panniers.
You are carrying way too much stuff for an overnight trip if you can't fit it into panniers. I'm not a super light tourist but this is what my bike looked like for a 4 day trip

DSCN1197 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

That's tent, sleeping bag, 4 freeze dried meals, camp stove, flat tea kettle, cup, 3 extras days of clothes and some cold weather gear. For an overnight, you could leave the 2 days of clothes at home.

Reassess your load!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-24-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 04:54 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
For 10 or 20 overnights, that trailer is going to be adequate. For a cross country trip, not so much.

That said, I have trailers and have used them for mostly off-road touring. I also tried one while training for a road tour. I'm not a huge fan. In my experience, they have a negative effect on the handling. They push the rear end around in odd ways that you aren't used to. Under heavy breaking on a downhill, the trailer lifts the rear of the bike and makes it feel vague. This is on fairly steep downhills, however.

Panniers perform better in my opinion but a trailer will do. Just be aware of the handling issues and adjust accordingly.
I am not sure how many trips we would be doing but it seems like it would be a good way to get some extra stuff carried. It would be off road sorta rail trail but not singletrack.

thanks for the advice regarding the handling. I figure it would be different but hopefully not adverse.
Old 09-24-18, 09:35 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
The single-wheel trailer like the B.O.B. has one advantage over the two-wheel type off pavement. As long as you're on a smooth graded path they're probably equal but as soon as you encounter a two track road, like most of the C&O Canal Towpath that I've seen, the single-wheel follows your bike in the path it describes while a two-wheel is going to hit the rough spots that you and your bike are dodging. I rode north and south from Marlinton years ago and do not recall the trail's surface but I recently ran into a fellow on the C&O and I asked him about his two-wheel trailer and he said it was a pain in the ass in the two track. He picked his line and the bike rode fairly smoothly, but if there was a bump or hole to the left or right the trailer hit every one.

I still had the pic! The guy's a veteran with a prosthetic leg, his dog in the trailer and enough gear to do the whole GAP/C&O. Note the trailer wheels and they're on fairly smooth grass in this photo. Imagine rough trail.

Last edited by thumpism; 09-24-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 12:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
This is a few years ago, of me on me on my Hasa Ti bike with a relatively cheap single-wheel trailer with the bag came with it on board filled with camping stuff for me and Machka (her bike had stuff too). We were in South Australia for that out-and-back trip. Traliers have also been used for furniture and other possession moves. Dual and the one in the picture still exist for my use, but not usual touring.

Last edited by Rowan; 09-25-18 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 02:45 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I have done a couple long tours with the BOB, and highly recommend it (if you want a trailer). My then-8 year old daughter and I spent eight weeks riding up and down the Rockies in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming with the BOB, pulling it with our tandem. We rode over multiple 10K+ foot passes with it. You definitely feel the weight on the climbs, but it is really steady on the fast descents.

Two years later, she and I used the BOB with our tandem when we rode from Seattle to Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. For two riders on a long tour, it is a good way to carry your gear (assuming you are camping).
Old 09-25-18, 03:24 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
I have done a couple long tours with the BOB, and highly recommend it (if you want a trailer). My then-8 year old daughter and I spent eight weeks riding up and down the Rockies in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming with the BOB, pulling it with our tandem. We rode over multiple 10K+ foot passes with it. You definitely feel the weight on the climbs, but it is really steady on the fast descents.

Two years later, she and I used the BOB with our tandem when we rode from Seattle to Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. For two riders on a long tour, it is a good way to carry your gear (assuming you are camping).
I can understand how good a tandem and trailer can carry the needs for two people. I say that not having used for camp touring either of two tandems we have ridden.
Old 09-25-18, 07:23 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@thumpism that is what I am worried about. i think that a single wheel would be the better way to go for us to carry stuff while we are riding. I think it would/ should go pretty much where I go. It is just a trial run on a gravel for the most part rail trail.

@Rowan thanks for chipping in your thoughts and picture. I appreciate it. I am thinking that it might be worth taking a chance on the trailer i posted earlier. i was reading the description and it says that it weighs about 19lbs but can carry 88. i don't think that we will carry that much but I will have to carry more than if it was just me riding because he will be 9 and we will need snacks for motivation

@tony_marley I like the idea of the bob trailer too but it $359 and that is too much for an over night. Plus i would like to convince the CFO that he needs an upgraded bike for this trip. aka one with gears at least. it may be something that we work towards with a few trips under our belts.
Old 09-25-18, 07:35 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
....the description and it says that it weighs about 19lbs but can carry 88. i don't think that we will carry that much but....

if you go to the link you provided, there are reviews included, some of which cover weight carried.

ignore the max rating...you don't want to get anywhere near that. bob is rated at 70, and is murder to pull over 50. don't want an ueber heavy trailer, especially on rough ground with the bike wanting to go x fast after a low spot and the trailer pulling back more than ever. yuch.
Old 09-25-18, 07:57 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by saddlesores
if you go to the link you provided, there are reviews included, some of which cover weight carried. ignore the max rating...you don't want to get anywhere near that. bob is rated at 70, and is murder to pull over 50. don't want an ueber heavy trailer, especially on rough ground with the bike wanting to go x fast after a low spot and the trailer pulling back more than ever. yuch.
right... i don't think i will carry that much either but just stating the stats i read. i do appreciate your advice though. I do see us carrying too much for an over night.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 09-25-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:07 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check out Nashbar for Bob-like trailers. They look like the Bob, and cost less. I have seen them there for years.
Old 09-25-18, 08:21 AM
indyfabz

From one of the reviews:

"The bag is a rather useless object. It is made out of robust waterproof cloth but offers no way to close it from the top. Thus it is useless in keeping camping gear dry during the rain. I received a wheel and one of the bearings was already bad. Welding quality is terrible - I hope that this trailer does not fall apart on the C and O canal. Little tip - there is a hinge and I placed two stick and peel rubber feet in the gap of that hinge to keep it springloaded and to keep the frame from flexing around. There is a lot of play in the assembled frame. I used the bold that they provided for the fender to hold it together. Locks that hold everything to the rear wheel of the bicycle could use longer bolts. Floor of the trailer came with a huge nick that I would need to hammer out and then spray paint."

Does that wheel have a QR? Can't tell from the photo. And don't forget a 16" replacement tube, or at least a patch kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.