Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Effect of Covid-19 on different areas of life?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: What areas of your life are impacted by Covid-19?
Health: physical & mental
40.32%
Spirituality: soul care, emotional health, & sense of well-being
35.48%
Work/Financial
41.94%
Relationships/social: family, friends, neighbors & colleagues
50.00%
Recreation/relaxation
38.71%
Daily needs: food, supplies, medicines, other
38.71%
Future plans
58.06%
No impact experienced in any area of my life
6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-20, 04:40 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: 4 good ones, 1 junker

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts

Several days ago I posted the same poll and thought I had set it to where a participant could change their vote as their circumstances changed. So I deleted the orgional post and started over. Then on the redo I discovered that changing ones selection is not an option. So, here's another shot at it.

For me work, finances, and long range plans are the most affected. I'm hoping it stays that simple.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 03-28-20, 05:00 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
I am not concerned about the Coronavirus. Most of us will get it, and get over it. It is not something to worry about.

However, many other people are concerned about it. Some more than others. I have spent less time with friends, because I don't know who is really concerned, or who prefers to keep away from other people. I don't want to make anybody uncomfortable.

I have spent more time on the internet than I would have otherwise.

I have stocked up on a few things, mainly bottled water, in case supply becomes short.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-28-20, 05:01 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 183 Posts
For me , as with a lot of people, it is mainly the uncertainty. I can still work , ride my bike , and enjoy my wife in the comfort of my home. For others it is devastating and I pray for a good outcome , eventually. I have changed my cycling route so I stay in areas less traveled by others. I am working more now and locking the door to my shop so people can’t come in randomly. I make cutting tools for machine shops, it is what I have done for 45 plus years. One of my larger customers makes ventilators so I am going to be busy for a while. I have an essential work notice on my front door issued by my customer to inform people who care why I am at work. Be safe and work on your bike if you need to, we are in uncharted territory, Joe
Old 03-28-20, 06:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 596 Posts
- Work/Financial

- Daily needs: food, supplies, medicines, other

I'll worry about health when it happens to us.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-29-20, 07:20 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 135 Posts
Our .age(s) put my wife and I in the higher risk category, so we are more cautious than usual (not scared, just cautious). Hoping our active lifestyle has kept our immunity up. But we are practicing social distancing, but miss going out to restaurants, our local gym and Y are closed. We have a horse that needs hay or turned out to pasture, water buckets that need filled daily, in all kinds of weather, every day, 24/7, so we're out every day, rain or shine, whether 5 or 50 degrees. Neither of us hardly ever gets sick and not on any meds. It does anger me when I see pictures on the news of younger people in large gatherings. Maybe they won't get the virus, or if they do, it won't be severe. But they could infect their parents, grandparents, or us, if they happen to be a carrier(whether symptomatic or not). This is not a time to throw caution to the wind, it is time to be responsible and respectable of everyone.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-29-20, 08:51 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6, and a few dust collectors

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
At work, both the feds and the state consider me essential so I'm good there. I can't get to gym, but here in Tucson I can go outside to my hearts content, and I do have a weight machine at home, so I'm good there.

The wife and I would go out to dinner and catch a move from time to time, so there's that. She's retired and going a bit stir crazy, and spending more on Amazon than usual.

Now about those grocery stores.....
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 03-29-20, 09:27 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 220 Posts
In our area supplies are not super difficult to get yet. Its starting to really heat up though. We are fortunate to be working from home so besides being on lockdown feeling pretty blessed actually.

I don't want to get it so if it doesn't pass in the next 4 weeks I don't know what will happen.
Old 03-29-20, 10:21 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 84 Posts
So far we're ok....restaurants are closed for dining in but you can get take out,allowed to bike and other outdoor activities,city,county and state parks along with rail trails are closed,still going to work every day ...I consider myself very fortunate
Old 03-29-20, 01:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 100 Posts
Sleeping in more, on weekends almost to noon. Downloading old movies.
Buying stocks and index ETFs for the long term.

I haven't gone out for rides as often since places of my destination are now closed for the time being.
Old 03-30-20, 05:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 322 Posts
I picked four areas: heath, spiritual, relationships and recreation. While I miss interacting with my team at work, and miss getting out for more social recreation, I'd have to say that my quality of life has improved over the last two and a half weeks. I'm getting more rest, spending more time with my wife, am encouraging my neighbors and friends, have had opportunity to worship and connect with church friends via internet streaming in a way that is novel to us, and have had time to ride solo during really nice spring weather. My wife is an excellent cook, too, so freshly baked bread products, cinnamon rolls, delicious soups and really nice salads and snacks. So...

I've also not turned on the TV at all, so the propaganda from the alarmists hasn't reached my ears. I read the news from trusted sources. For the virus, I go to the direct sources and to the data, and don't have the media interpret things for me. I prefer it that way.
Old 03-30-20, 07:19 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 103 Posts
I'm not worried about getting the virus, its the economic fallout that scares me. The depression of 2008 is going to look like a cakewalk compared to this one.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 03-30-20, 10:40 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

A local friend who is an EMT has been exposed and is in quarantine. His wife, an RN, is diabetic. I am awake now because when I lay down to go to sleep this evening, sleep escaped me on their behalf.

Another longtime friend shared the below today via Facebook. Covid-19 has gotten very real, and personal within my circle of relationships.

Old 03-30-20, 11:57 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 654 Posts
I don't want to order new bar tape unless I am going to be around to use it.
Old 03-31-20, 08:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
I selected work/financial only because I'm retired and my 401(k) took a big hit. Otherwise, it has no impact on me, since I've become a total non-social loner. All the local bike events have been cancelled, but I've stopped racing, and do all my riding solo. As long as I've got reliable internet and cable TV, I'm good.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-02-20, 04:44 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

So far for the wife and me no physical health issues. I will acknowledge a level of anxiety for me that is uncharacteristic. We have a niece who is a nurse in Baltimore. And including a son in law who is a firefighter, a dozen other friends locally who are LEO's, 1st responders, and other medical types - including two who are ER doctors.

Old 04-02-20, 11:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3623 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 766 Posts
Hardly any effect on me. I'm a little more careful now riding the bus, doing necessary shopping, etc. But I mostly keep to myself already anyway. I enjoy visiting with friends occasionally but I'm a sociable hermit and comfortable on my own -- well, with my three cats.

I did maybe 2 group bike rides a month before, but none since January or February. I began semi-isolating myself back in the autumn when I had a chronic sinus inflammation, just to be safer.

The main difference is I've needed to postpone some medical specialty consults for later in the year, mostly for allergies, ENT and rheumatology. I've already had my main annual checkups so I can handle delaying the others.
Old 04-10-20, 03:10 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 333 Posts
One of the very important issues associated with this pandemic behavior is that the people, especially children, stuck in physically or emotionally abusive relationships can have it even harder now. With domestic violence rates soaring during the unemployment stress, strained finances and stay at home mandates all over the world the institutions/services to protect those being abused are being heavily strained, just collapsing or no longer even available in the dealing with it. The coercive methods domestic abusers use to control/abuse their partners and children become even more powerful in times like this. The services people could use in a ‘get to safety plan’ are now sometimes less available, more difficult to access or even no longer available which can leave survivors trapped in an escalating cycle of abuse, tension, power and control. The unprecedented stress of this pandemic could also breed abuse even in homes where violence may not have been an issue before. While the majority of victims are female and including male children no one gender nor sexual orientation has an exclusive claim to respectful, compassionate, caring behavior within a relationship. All times call for compassion toward all in this issue, regardless of identity.

We are trying to do our part by supporting abuse crisis intervention non-profits here to help with the increase. If they can I strongly recommend others to do it in their areas.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 04-10-20, 04:03 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 87 Posts
Well, I’m stuck right in the middle of it.

Things are pretty bad here in NYC. The virus is all around here now and things just keep getting more and more bizarre.
I lived in lower Manhattan through both WTC bombings and was in the Middle East for some almost equally horrifying stuff. But I have never lived through anything like this.

I guess I’d have to say my daily needs have been impacted most. I have probably enough food to last another week and a half before I have to venture into a supermarket or grocery store.
And work is still paying me to work from home but there really isn’t much going on there right now. I expect to be furloughed or laid off around the twentieth or so. Or that’s what telecommute office scuttlebutt is relaying to me, anyways. So, I’m kinda worried there too.
And I’m very worried about my family and friends. Especially the older folks like my parents and grandmom.
Watched them load three bodies out of this nursing home over the weekend. And heard today about three deaths in this building down the street.
A friend was hospitalized in grievous condition last week. No update yet but am not looking forward to good news there.

Very troubling times we live in.
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-10-20, 09:03 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

clemsongirl and Rage I clicked "like" to indicate seeing your posts, not because I find any enjoyment in what you are describing.

And I appreciate reading the life where it's happening viewpoints. Stay safe!

Old 04-10-20, 06:10 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 87 Posts
Hi BookFinder,
No worries. I’m pretty sure most normal folks got it. And I’m also very curious about how things are going in other parts of the country. Heck, I’m curious about how things are going anywhere/everywhere nowadays.
This situation really illustrates that we are all part of a global community.
Old 04-10-20, 06:22 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
This is just a small sample of how it's affecting me, my family, friends, and co-workers. There's more, but I can't list them all.

64 Brothers & Sisters So far have paid the ultimate sacrifice from the Covid-19 Pandemic and this list will continue to grow!!

please say a prayer for their families, and keep them and all the other TWU Local 100 ATU Union Members & SSSA members still risking their life’s to provide the very needed public Transportation of the MTA New York City Transit

Re: Rest In Peace 🙏🏽

Our TWU/ATU & SSSA Families continue to suffer great losses every day during this pandemic. Unfortunately we will continue to add names, but please do not offer condolences in the comments section .

TWU/ATU & SSSA Employees have made the ULTIMATE sacrifice. Prayers to their families.
~Included are all Members including Retirees.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated April 9th, 2020 @ 0805 Hours

🙏🏽😇 65 Individuals Perished 😇🙏🏽

1) Peter Petrassi🙏🏾🕊 (Train Conductor)
2) Oliver Cyrus🙏🏾🕊 (B/O - Manhattanville)

Hero) Garrett Goble🙏🏾🕊 (Train Operator)

3) Scott Elijah🙏🏾🕊 (Track Worker - Parson/Archer)
4) Ernesto Hernandez🙏🏾🕊 (B/O - Jackie Gleason)
5) Warren Tucker 🙏🏾🕊 (Bus Maintainer - ENY)
6) Caridad Santiago🙏🏾🕊 (Cleaner)
7) Patrick Patior🙏🏾🕊 (CED)
😎 Raul Clarke🙏🏾🕊 (B/O Big Bus)
9) Phyllis Holley🙏🏾🕊(Construction Flagger)
10) Robert Sarutto🙏🏾🕊 (TEMM - Jay St.)
11) Cesar Torres🙏🏾 🕊 (B/O - Grand Ave)
12) Alejandro Bustamante🙏🏾🕊 (B/O - School Bus)
13) Sanni Adamu🙏🏾🕊 (B/O - West Farms)
14) James Hoffman 🙏🏽🕊️ (Big Bus)
15) Thomas David - Biju🙏🏾🕊 (Stations Supv - 3/31)
16) Victor Zapana🙏🏾🕊 (Stations Supv)
17) Darlisa Nesbitt🙏🏾🕊(Train Operator - 4/2)
18) Artie Forte 🙏🏽🕊️ - (SLD - UPK - 4/2)(Retired)
19) Jacob Credell🙏🏾🕊 (Train Conductor)
20) Alex Figueredo🙏🏾🕊(B/O ?)
21) Alex Saint Fleur🙏🏾🕊 (B/O JFK)
22) Laricter Brown🙏🏾🕊(RTO Dispatcher)
23) Terry Rose 🙏🏾🕊 (B/O- Ulmer Park - 4/4)(Retired)
24) Steve Rypkin 🙏🏾🕊 (Construction Flagger)
25) Thankachan Inchanatu, 51 🙏🏽🕊️ (Stations)
26) William Scott 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - Kingsbridge)
27) Foster Moore 🙏🏽🕊️ (CTA)
28) Lionel Hogan 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - Queens Village)
29) Lev Golubou 🙏🏽🕊️ (CI - Corona Yard)
30) Clarence Facey 🙏🏾🕊(Superintendent Hydraulics)
31) Stu Cohen (GS Buses - Staten Island)
32) Daryl Laborde 🙏🏽🕊️ - (Collection Agent)
33) Palwinder Singh 🙏🏽🕊️ (Infrastr... Supv MS1 - 4/5)
34) Avron Alves 🙏🏽🕊️ (CED MS-1)
35) Henry Castro 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - Jamaica)
36) Erlin Galarza 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - Gun Hill)
37) Edward Ilginis 🙏🏽🕊️ (TPPS)
38) Jack Hopps 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - Ulmer Park 4/6)(Retired)
39) Joseph Cento 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - MJ Quill 4/5)
40) Budlino Ramirez 🙏🏽🕊️ (Stations)
41) Bobby Meyer 🙏🏾🕊 (Retired)
42) Israel Bobe 🙏🏾🕊 (Retired)
43) Gregory Graham 🙏🏽🕊️ (ATU1179 Maintain Worker)
44) Sung Truong 🙏🏽🕊️ (ATU1179 Supervisor)
45) Louis Thomas Jr 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O)(Retired)
46) Robert Manning 🙏🏽🕊️ (SLD)(Retired)
47) Shelly Johnson 🙏🏽🕊️ (TPPA - 4/7)
48) Lateya Dalmage 🙏🏽🕊️ (Administrative Assist)
49) Lalu Jose (Prathap) 🙏🏾 🕊 (RTO Dispatcher)
50) Joyce Robinson 🙏🏾 🕊 (Retired)
51) Charles St. Bernard III 🙏🏾 🕊 (Retired)
52) Andre Waterman 🙏🏾 🕊 (Retired)
53) Sandra Murray 🙏🏾 🕊 (Retired)
54) Van Christmas 🙏🏾 🕊 (RTO Dispatcher)
55) Emanuel Jacob 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - East NY)
56) Winston Pratt 🙏🏽🕊️ (MS-1 Signals)
57) Anthony Smith 🙏🏽🕊️(MS1 Plumber)
58) Sabrina Eubanks 🙏🏽🕊️ (Stations)
59) Juan Diaz 🙏🏽🕊️ (Trackworker)
60) Van Christmas 🙏🏽🕊️ (RTO - 4/8)
61) Richie Buffit 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - MTV - 4/8)(Retired)
62) Leon McKnight 🙏🏽🕊️ (B/O - West Farms - 4/8)
63) Ari Moraitis 🙏🏽🕊️ (EMD ☎️ Maintainer - 4/8)
64) Eric McCoy 🙏🏽🕊️ (PDM 3rd Rail - MOW(Retired)

+1 (Hero) Garrett Goble🙏🏾🕊 (Train Operator)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Share the Post, it will be updated as needed.

~Danny Cruz (Bus Operator) Local 💯
~Crystal Young (Conductor) Local 💯 Shop Steward
Old 04-10-20, 07:56 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 236 Posts
Pretty much all of those things.

WFH, which is more stressful. I manage a team of 5 and worry about them. One had a very mild case of CV19, but is recovered. Another has anxiety issues, which were bad today.

my wife and I have been walking everyday, which we both enjoy very much. Since were both WFH, we're getting to see each others "work persona". She never realized that I have so many meetings and she is under crazy deadlines.

On the flipside, I'm surprised at how smooth the transition to WFH was. I would do it a day here and there but now it's fulltime. I'm amazed at how well some of the tools work. Feeling very comfortable with the tech and will push for 1-2 wfh days per week forvthevteam once we get back in the office.

Investing, but not looking too closely at the numbers. Miss the gym and getting together with family and friends. Lots of video chatting happening. Knocking out a lot of home projects and yard work.

Hoping to hang on to some of the calm and perspective once this is behind us. As horrible as this is, I can see the potential for a lot of good coming out of this.

Last edited by thinktubes; 04-10-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 08:16 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts
7 cases in the small town of about 10,000 that I live about 8 miles away from. I stay home and only get out on my bike. The gravel and paved roads have very light traffic. I’m very lucky to be where I am at but that doesn’t mean I have immunity. Being forced to eat garbage like this

Old 05-09-20, 06:35 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

It’s been a while since I came back to this discussion. A lot has changed where I live. It never will be the same. I’m not stating that as good or bad. Rather, it’s just an observation