Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

I lost 36lbs but quickly gained 21 of it back

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 11:47 AM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I started shopping for a new hybrid at the end of last year. After my first ride of the season - I remembered why

Just last week, I shed my 1999 Schwinn Sierra GS in lieu of a Sirrus X 5.0. Maybe now I can keep up with the girlfriend who also sports a Sirrus X. Looking to tap into the community's expertise as I get more serious about cycling.

We try to get out several times a week and average 14 to 25 miles per outing. First on the list is a proper fitting and looking to get 'clipped in'.

Thanks to all
Old 04-15-20, 12:15 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Welcome to the community!

A good fit is certainly one of the most important thing to do. As for the pedals, you will need to choose between SPD (known as mountain clips) and SPD-SL (known as road clips). Each of them has pros and cons, but if you are not sure on whether or not you want to ride clipped, you might want to start with dual SPD pedals (clip on one side and platform on the other side). That's what I got my father last year and he likes them.

Oh and, don't worry about the few pounds... Everyone gains weight during winter!

Last edited by eduskator; 04-15-20 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 12:30 PM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
@eduskator thanks for the reply and the welcome - sorry for the dry humor. The Schwinn weighed 36 lbs and the new Sirrus is only 21 lbs. What a difference that made in and of itself.

I've been reading about the dual SPD's but figure if I'm gonna do it ....... well then just do it.
Old 04-16-20, 06:30 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsuser
@eduskator thanks for the reply and the welcome - sorry for the dry humor. The Schwinn weighed 36 lbs and the new Sirrus is only 21 lbs. What a difference that made in and of itself.

I've been reading about the dual SPD's but figure if I'm gonna do it ....... well then just do it.
Oh, I see. Sorry for that, English isn't my mother tongue so I sometimes don't get subtleties!

You can't go wrong with SPD-SLs! If you don't ride much in the city, it's better than SPDs in my opinion. It becomes a pain in the butt when you ride in areas where you frequently need to stop & unclip.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-20, 01:43 AM
Cajarines

Bikes: Trek dual sport 3 2018

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Welcome!!