Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Please share your *Top Secret, most filling, lowest calorie snacks

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 06-24-20, 09:33 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts

I have been into my fitness and diet for a few years and have steadily lost about 30 pounds slowly, while still building a little muscle mass.

My goal has been to reduce body fat, nothing crazy, but I’d like to get south of 14% Or so and Im pretty close but, as some of you know, the last bit of fat around the belly/sides can be tough. Especially when you work out and cycle and it drives your appetite.

I have a good diet that’s working as far as breakfast, lunch and dinner. Healthy amount of protein, carbs, and fat. And I eat an apple with peanut butter between lunch and dinner.

So, I’m looking for really low calorie snack ideas when cravings hit. I eat enough so Im not crazy starving but occasionally, I get a craving and want to eat something that’s not bread related to satisfy it.

I guess a small serving of fruit or veg is the obvious answer. But just curious if anybody has ideas for snacks less than 50 calories or so that can somewhat satisfy between meal cravings.
Old 06-25-20, 12:24 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Just eat less.

Sorry but it is that simple. And it isn't a good diet if you want to but can't lose more fat.
Old 06-25-20, 04:52 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Peanut butter - but from peanut butter powder like PBfit or PB2. 85% less fat than real peanut butter for same portion.

My wife (who does not need to lose weight) hates the taste and won't go near it. I don't mind the taste.

The other weight-loss benefit: you mix up a certain number of tablespoons of power with water and you have just one serving of peanut "butter" in front of you, vs. dipping a spoon in the jar and pretending each heaping spoon is really only one tablespoon...
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 06-25-20, 05:06 AM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Just eat less.

Sorry but it is that simple. And it isn't a good diet if you want to but can't lose more fat.
Thanks, all is fine with the fitness, diet, and consistent body fat loss. In fact, I can probably eat a little more so....

Im just looking for some snack ideas ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 06-25-20 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 06:19 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Plain Greek non-fat yogurt.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-25-20, 06:36 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Thanks, all is fine with the fitness, diet, and consistent body fat loss. In fact, I can probably eat a little more so....

Im just looking for some snack ideas ; )
Ah, I misunderstood, apologies. I echo above - if I am hungry I add a little protein powder to Greek plain yogurt. Yummy and healthy.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-25-20, 07:46 AM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Ah, I misunderstood, apologies. I echo above - if I am hungry I add a little protein powder to Greek plain yogurt. Yummy and healthy.
No worries and thanks. I have a Fage 2% for breakfast with fruit everyday and love the stuff.

Maybe I’ll replace the peanut butter with a Fage 0 or 2%. It would actually be less calories, more protein, and probably more filling.

Only concern was, will 2 yogurts a day bother my stomach? I’m not lactose intolerant.

I’ll give this a shot.
Old 06-25-20, 09:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Nonfat, unsweetened yogurt with blueberries or strawberries.

Or a quarter pound of baby carrots. By the time you finish chewing them, it'll be time for supper.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-25-20, 10:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
No worries and thanks. I have a Fage 2% for breakfast with fruit everyday and love the stuff.

Maybe I’ll replace the peanut butter with a Fage 0 or 2%. It would actually be less calories, more protein, and probably more filling.

Only concern was, will 2 yogurts a day bother my stomach? I’m not lactose intolerant.

I’ll give this a shot.
​​​​​​Probably not, but you get extra credit for variety.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-25-20, 10:43 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Dill Pickles. I believe I've heard it takes more calories to digest them, than they have in them, so they actually have negative calories. And the salt will replenish your lost electrolytes due to sweating while cycling.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 06-25-20, 12:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Apples. I eat one or two every day for snacks. If I feel really hungry, I'll back that up with an oz. of walnuts and a glass of milk. I also like pickles, good snack.
Old 06-25-20, 12:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Romaine lettuce. Low Calorie, lots of nutrition density per Calorie eaten. I grew up liking lettuce though. I'll eat it without any salad dressing. Otherwise carrots and celery already washed and prepped in the fridge so it's ready when you are. Surprisingly most carrots at the grocery stores taste terrible. However Kroger's own brand of carrots, organic or not are pretty good. As are Green Giant branded fresh carrots if you can find them anywhere. Otherwise you just have to hunt.

Water melon is my favorite hot weather snack. Eat chilled slice right after your ride or any time you come in from the heat and it will cool you down quick. It has a lot of stuff that is good for you too. Otherwise, cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Fruit of any sort.

Hot tea seems to help control my appetite in the evenings. Black tea, green tea or whatever. On rare occasion a shot of bourbon or whiskey in it. I don't use sugar or sweetener. So if you have to sweeten it, I don't know if it will still help you not want other stuff. Might take a week or so before your body gets used to it and stops waking you up in the middle of the night to pee.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-25-20 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-25-20, 01:31 PM
CyclingBK

Pickles! Too funny, we were indulging in a burger the other night and the thought occurred they could be a great snack. Thank you for reminding me.

And I appreciate all of the great, healthy suggestions.

Still wondering if someone has some sort of top-secret snack that tastes like a chocolate chip cookie but has like 12 calories 🤣
Old 06-25-20, 02:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Watermelon.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-25-20, 05:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Avoid snacking between meals. You need some self-discipline and you need to train your mind and body to resist the urge to snack between meals..There is nothing wrong with feeling a little hungry between meals, a little hunger won't kill you.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-25-20, 06:39 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Avoid snacking between meals. You need some self-discipline and you need to train your mind and body to resist the urge to snack between meals..There is nothing wrong with feeling a little hungry between meals, a little hunger won't kill you.
I don’t mind a little hunger, used to it, but Ive been very disciplined while in a pretty good calorie deficit so I want to at least keep energy up and not get too distracted.

Plus, I’m strength training in addition to cycling. I alternate days. My cycling is light compared to you guys, 1.5 hours every other day but I try to go hard as I can with intervals cycling days.

i’m not having a problem losing weight it’s been coming off fine. And I’m close to where I want to be.

I’m going to add a little to my breakfast and lunch, think that’s an issue, I’m still too hungry coming into and after the 3pm snack.

But the low cal snack ideas are great. I need some diversity.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 06-25-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 02:23 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Baby Carrots, Hard boiled eggs, ice water all work for me. Remember, it's not all about calories, but what kind of calories. Hi protein calories are not as bad as Fructose obviously.
Old 07-05-20, 03:00 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hummus and romaine.
Old 07-05-20, 05:06 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Every time you're about to shove something from your fist into your mouth, ask yourself, "Will this make me FASTER or SLOWER?" That will drive your diet in the right direction and kill off all of your myriad snack breaks that you're already taking all day long. If you are feel like you need to eat more, then eat more. But stop snacking constantly and the hunger pangs will go away if you are truly eating a properly balanced diet. (Even in a moderate deficit. Starvation mode, nothing will help except stuffing your gut full of calories and volume. Either make peace with that, or plateau.)
Old 07-05-20, 05:27 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Every time you're about to shove something from your fist into your mouth, ask yourself, "Will this make me FASTER or SLOWER?" That will drive your diet in the right direction and kill off all of your myriad snack breaks that you're already taking all day long. If you are feel like you need to eat more, then eat more. But stop snacking constantly and the hunger pangs will go away if you are truly eating a properly balanced diet. (Even in a moderate deficit. Starvation mode, nothing will help except stuffing your gut full of calories and volume. Either make peace with that, or plateau.)

Its not a matter of such urgency that requires talking to myself ; ) Does that work for ya?

I have a nice core diet. 3 meals, one mid day snack. I’ve been tweaking them and generally adding calories, especially to breakfast.
Deficit is fine but the body fat loss has slowed as I get under 15%. It’s tricky to keep the energy up, cycle and strength train so, yes, there will be times, generally between mid day snack and dinner that I want something to snack on. No issues after dinner.

Hence, this thread and the fine suggestions.
Old 07-05-20, 09:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Meat. It's really that simple. Meat is the most efficient source of nutrient dense food that won't wreak havoc on our sugar metabolism. I fought the obvious for years and insisted on following the Conventional Wisdom for a healthy varied diet. But it turns out my carnivore friends had a point about the benefits they claimed for their diets. Although I'm no purist and don't do full keto.

Cook up a bunch of chicken fingers seasoned to your liking, enough to last a few days of snacking.

Cut back on the carbs and sugar. I still eat that stuff, but I try to limit it to fuel for workouts and harder bike rides. Although I ate some pecan pie today, on a rest day. I didn't explode.

I cut out beer and alcohol completely this year. Couldn't seem to metabolism alcohol anymore after my thyroid failed, and ended up with hangover symptoms after a single beer. Kinda took all the pleasure out of beer. I lost 10 lbs of belly fat. I was surprised to discover how much of my calorie intake was beer, especially those tasty and strong local craft beers. (Saved a lot of money too, for bike stuff or... food.)
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-05-20, 09:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
For me, absolutely nothing fancy. A three pound bag of "salad mix" is 240kcal, a serving is 15 calories. Splash of italian dressing, done. Whole bowl is like 50 calories. Roughly 70 calories in a navel orange. For me, it's the eating, unfortunately. Just needs to be something. Salads n' oranges are doing the trick.
Old 07-05-20, 09:53 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by canklecat
Meat. It's really that simple. Meat is the most efficient source of nutrient dense food that won't wreak havoc on our sugar metabolism. I fought the obvious for years and insisted on following the Conventional Wisdom for a healthy varied diet. But it turns out my carnivore friends had a point about the benefits they claimed for their diets. Although I'm no purist and don't do full keto.

Cook up a bunch of chicken fingers seasoned to your liking, enough to last a few days of snacking.

Cut back on the carbs and sugar. I still eat that stuff, but I try to limit it to fuel for workouts and harder bike rides. Although I ate some pecan pie today, on a rest day. I didn't explode.

I cut out beer and alcohol completely this year. Couldn't seem to metabolism alcohol anymore after my thyroid failed, and ended up with hangover symptoms after a single beer. Kinda took all the pleasure out of beer. I lost 10 lbs of belly fat. I was surprised to discover how much of my calorie intake was beer, especially those tasty and strong local craft beers. (Saved a lot of money too, for bike stuff or... food.)
Interesting one, I like it. Maybe some turkey slices. I’m up to my ears in chicken ; )

I eat 2 servings of meat a day, 6-8 oz for dinner, 6 oz at lunch, sometimes with cheese. I’m pretty much at 40% protein,40%carbs, 20% fat. Seems to be a good balance to maintain muscle mass, fuel workouts, and still consistently lose fat.

Congrats on cutting alcohol. I did too this year. It’s been great and really helped in knock off that last belly fat. Getting close, just need to be patient.
Old 07-06-20, 01:32 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
So, I’m looking for really low calorie snack ideas when cravings hit. I eat enough so Im not crazy starving but occasionally, I get a craving and want to eat something that’s not bread related to satisfy it.
A couple of ideas:

A tablespoon of peanut butter or hummus, with a few vegetables for dipping into it. Can size it to be a 50cal snack, or 200+ cals. Easy to take with you, as it won't need refrigeration (unless it's really hot outside).

A little 6oz container of a good whole-milk yogurt with a handful of granola and fruit (ie, berries) and an ounce or two of cheese.

A couple ounces of hard cheese, a couple ounces of dry salami (or similar), with some Wasa bread (or hard crackers). Can take it with you, as it doesn't require refrigeration (unless fairly hot outside). Good for hikes, rides.

A "trail" mix -- blend of granola, carob bits, nuts, dried fruits, etc. Depending on ingredients, it can keep for quite awhile.
Old 07-10-20, 06:14 PM
CyclingBK

Ok, so when all is said and done, incredibly, I have decided my go to “get me from mid afternoon to dinner” snack, is a couple of these.

Taralli!

For those not familiar, they are an exquisite Italian baked cracker of sorts. Absurdly delicious and loaded with calories. Each little guy has almost 40 calories.

But, just 2 hit the spot and are so awesome to eat. 80 calories is not too brutal and I’m still tracking good in a deficit.

Many thanks for the help from all, good karma for you to share; )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.