Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-14-08, 05:28 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
That's a really nice Trek. Amazing what some folks will throw out. Love the little teapot bell.

Nice catch!
thanks, yours as well. Wanna trade for the Pug(the trek, not the bell lol)?
Old 12-14-08, 07:20 PM
heatherlovine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today I made a run with my boyfriend to a local thrift store to look for a winter jacket. I ended up with two 70's(?) Gitanes, one an Interclub, the other a Grande Sport Delux. Both mostly original as I can tell, the interclub has suntour components, the Grande sport with simplex. I paid 40 for both.

not a bad day!
Old 12-14-08, 07:33 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc
thanks, yours as well. Wanna trade for the Pug(the trek, not the bell lol)?
If only you were closer... I might just trade the bike for that teapot bell.
Old 12-14-08, 07:41 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
If only you were closer... I might just trade the bike for that teapot bell.
...well hey, if its the bell you want, ill pay shipping on the bell to you if you pay shipping on Pug to me, deal?
Old 12-14-08, 07:56 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Or possibly a very small teapot that looks like a bell? Fantastic find on the Trek. I mostly find $40-$50 mid 80's Schwinns at the flea market, and you find a steel Trek in a trash pile. Sweet!,,,,BD
Old 12-14-08, 08:16 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc
yes it is. if you want to get rid of it, or those silver brake levers with the black rubber looking pulls, let me know
Well, the Kookas and clean/NOS Precision Billet stuff will probably find their way onto my red Cannondale. If I can afford to find one, The Phil might get a rear companion and go on a team Miyata single speed project I will someday get around to building. I don't think it has ever been built before, no spoke pull marks on the flanges. I bought the box on the spot once I saw it, hehe.

As to the story on the box of parts...... A friend of mine was at a thrift store a week or two ago, and saw it there. The thrift store owner used to have a bike shop that he closed in the mid nineties. Apparently this was the stuff left over, or his private home stash.

My friend went back and bought it, and he has no need for MTB or road bike parts, being a hardcore balloon tire collector. He must have 25-30 prewar to mid fifties bikes in varying conditions. Anyways, the box of stuff was $25 for him, and he offered it up to me. I told him I'd double his money, and he said fine. He knew they were good parts, so it wasn't like I ripped him off. He just didn't care the possible worth, and passed them on to me.

He's a pretty cool older guy(older than me anyway, lol) who has been into the bike thing his entire life more or less. He's also a pretty strong rider. On the vintage bike ride, he can leave the rest of the guys if he wanted to, and sometimes does. The whole time riding a 45 pound Elgin, or Shelby. etc,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-14-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 08:58 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Or possibly a very small teapot that looks like a bell? Fantastic find on the Trek. I mostly find $40-$50 mid 80's Schwinns at the flea market, and you find a steel Trek in a trash pile. Sweet!,,,,BD
ya know its odd, and I uess I shouldn't complain, but I will go for weeks without finding anything worth bringing home, then I find something like that old Trek
Old 12-15-08, 01:16 AM
kingcounty07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at the bike shop the other day working on my new winter project, and a man came in with a dirty old bike he had found in a "barn" on the east side some way or another. It was a mid 1950's Schwinn Paramount Track Bike. I poked around over peoples shoulders to try to look at it and ,overall, besides some rust and dirt and whatnot it was in quite good shape. It was a really cool old bike with one of those old adjustable quill stems and 1 inch pitch chain. I had a short chat with the owner of the shop as he was taking it apart for restoration and he noticed the track hubs were early 3 piece Campagnolo track hubs stamped 60' laced to old Weinmann Wood-cored rims. As far as the other parts i didn't really get a good look i was working on my bike and didn't want to get in the way, but it was a truly beautiful bike and at that point in my jealousy i decided that this spring I am going to make it a point to frequent all the garage and yard sales i can find, especially in the boonies and the east side, in hopes of lightning striking twice.
Old 12-15-08, 01:56 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heatherlovine
today I made a run with my boyfriend to a local thrift store to look for a winter jacket. I ended up with two 70's(?) Gitanes, one an Interclub, the other a Grande Sport Delux. Both mostly original as I can tell, the interclub has suntour components, the Grande sport with simplex. I paid 40 for both.

not a bad day!

Mmmmm..... Marlboro No.27s on the table. Bad bad bad. (godz I want a smoky treat so bad!)
Old 12-15-08, 02:07 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get bikes somewhat frequently. People will bring them into the shop, I'll give them an estimate, they'll twitch a bit and tell me to throw it in the dumpster. I then take it home. Or, they'll just decide to not pick it up after it's been worked on. We give them 3 months. Then it goes to my house or the other mechanic's house. So far this past year I've gotten a Fuji Monterey, a Schwinn Stingray (1976), a Catamount something-or-other, a Trek 1000 frame (I removed the BB for the guy, he gave me the frame. He found it in a dumpster.), a Schwinn Collegiate 3spd, a Bridgestone RB-2, a some-kind-of-mountain-bike from the 80s, a new GT Avalanche frame, a Raleigh 3spd, a 1950s Rutledge cruiser, and probably a few others that I've forgotten. There were a few crap bikes too, Next, Huffy, and such. Usually, I stripped those of parts and threw the cast-iron-piped frame in the dumpster. The parts were then used in the shop on bikes where the owners were too poor to pay for new parts. (We "donate" a lot of work and parts to those who HAVE to ride bikes for whatever reason)

I'm going to Indy tomorrow, so I think I'll hit a few places and see what I can find.
Old 12-15-08, 03:59 AM
splitworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinarello

My Friends dad was clearing out his garage and let me have this beautiful 88/89 Pinarello Veneto. Its a bit beat up but its fully equipped with Shimano 105 and 600 and rides like a champ, Although its a bit small nothing a taller seat post and bumped up stem didn't fix.

Also picked up this great Cramerotti for $100 bucks off craigs list, all Campy equipped just needed to be cleaned and reassembled.

Old 12-15-08, 04:24 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Quite a gift! It's not too small....thats the "competitive" fit. Both your bikes look to be the same size though?

It also looks like we have another non-fluted crank arm debate coming on.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-15-08, 07:51 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need to get to know your friends! very cool.
Old 12-15-08, 08:15 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
Mmmmm..... Marlboro No.27s on the table. Bad bad bad. (godz I want a smoky treat so bad!)
Not me, I'd rather have a Gitane!
Old 12-15-08, 10:05 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I love the twisted Sakae cranks. A truly interesting crank that looks like nothing else out there. Very unique. I have one of those on a Raleigh, and it may get robbed, hehe.

Here's the update on the Fuji Series III. Rides like a caddy and doesn't lose a lot of cranking energy through frame flex like my Shogun Alpine seems to. Feels very similar to my Club Fuji in stiffness, due to the quad butted tubes. This bike jumped into my top five the first time I rode it.,,,,BD

Before. Lots of potential!!

After! Decided on black hoods and dark red wrap, since the color scheme would not look right with gum color, IMHO. A little hard to see, but the wrap is a pretty decent match for the housing and graphics. They're a deep maroon. If I run across a darker red, I will go with that. For now it looks pretty decent.

BD, Jitensha Studio carries a lovely Toshi maroon bar tape. I've used it on both my 1981 Fuji Pro and my '84 Opus III. Very soft, winds on a lot easier that some of the other brands.

https://www.jitensha.com/eng/e_index.html

Scott
Old 12-15-08, 10:34 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingcounty07
I was at the bike shop the other day working on my new winter project, and a man came in with a dirty old bike he had found in a "barn" on the east side some way or another. It was a mid 1950's Schwinn Paramount Track Bike. I poked around over peoples shoulders to try to look at it and ,overall, besides some rust and dirt and whatnot it was in quite good shape. It was a really cool old bike with one of those old adjustable quill stems and 1 inch pitch chain. I had a short chat with the owner of the shop as he was taking it apart for restoration and he noticed the track hubs were early 3 piece Campagnolo track hubs stamped 60' laced to old Weinmann Wood-cored rims. As far as the other parts i didn't really get a good look i was working on my bike and didn't want to get in the way, but it was a truly beautiful bike and at that point in my jealousy i decided that this spring I am going to make it a point to frequent all the garage and yard sales i can find, especially in the boonies and the east side, in hopes of lightning striking twice.
You should have got his number, there are many of us who would have gladly bought it.
Old 12-15-08, 12:43 PM
kingcounty07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anomaly
You should have got his number, there are many of us who would have gladly bought it.

Myself included. He was having them do a full restoration on it i believe, or i would have snapped it up immediately.
Old 12-15-08, 03:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Well I won a nice Trek on ebay today. Poorly described, in the wrong section, and close enough I can pick it up. We'll see what it looks like in person Wednesday. No where in the listing did it give the year or model. It did say that the bike had "Suntour switches" and that it was a 10 speed racing bike...

I believe its a 1983 Trek 620. I wish it was my size...
Old 12-15-08, 04:00 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
....in the wrong section....
Was it at least under the general "cycling" category?
Old 12-15-08, 04:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Was it at least under the general "cycling" category?

No.

The Trek 620 was listed under "Collectables; Transportation; Bicycles; Complete Bikes".

Title was "TREK MEN'S 10 SPEED RACING BICYCLE REYNOLDS 531 FRAME". With a subtitle of "CYCLONE SUN TOUR ROAD CHAMPION COMPETITION GREY BLUE NR".

I occasionally search for bikes within driving distance that have relatively high shipping charges or better yet have local pickup as a requirement.
Old 12-15-08, 06:05 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Suntour Cyclone used to be their top-of-the-line derailleur.
Old 12-15-08, 07:07 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Two Motobecane Mirages

On a whim because the pickup isn't too far from me, I bid on two Motobecane Mirages and ended up winning them both...got both for $100. While I hope this was at least a decent deal, I've been searching the forum for a serial number database or other ways to see if I can get an idea of how old they are. I'm guessing mid-late 80s.
Old 12-15-08, 07:20 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now, that's a steal! Nice bike.
Old 12-15-08, 07:28 PM
splitworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Quite a gift! It's not too small....thats the "competitive" fit. Both your bikes look to be the same size though?

It also looks like we have another non-fluted crank arm debate coming on.
haha, The pinarello is a 55cm I believe and the Cramerotti is a 52, I cant even ride it Im 6'1! Pinarello is a Hot Rod its true you can go far faster on a smaller bike, with back pain.

I like that Competitive Fit.
Old 12-15-08, 07:34 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
On a whim because the pickup isn't too far from me, I bid on two Motobecane Mirages and ended up winning them both...got both for $100. While I hope this was at least a decent deal, I've been searching the forum for a serial number database or other ways to see if I can get an idea of how old they are. I'm guessing mid-late 80s.
I'd guess early 80s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.