Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fit. What I've learned from BF

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 12:29 PM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I'm almost ready to go to my LBS and order my CAAD9-5 (which will be my first road bike)

My measurements from the aid of competitivecyclist.com

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 29.5
Trunk: 25
Forearm: 13
Arm: 24.5
Thigh: 22
Lower Leg: 20
Sternal Notch: 53.5
Total Body Height: 56

So from what I've ready and from my test rides it sounds like I should focus on finding a frame size with the longest TT for my physical size that will allow me to clear the stand-over height as a starting point. Then to customize my fit if need be. I could always get a different stem, setback saddle etc...

Am I interpreting what I've read correctly from the above statements ??
Old 01-23-10, 12:39 PM
skol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd make the LBS work for their money a little bit - ask a lot of questions and at the minimum have them do a quick fit test. If what they recommend differs greatly from what you think and have read have them explain before ordering.
Old 01-23-10, 12:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
It has been my experience in the past that long top tubes and Cannondale don't mix.
+1 to having the LBS do its part.
Old 01-23-10, 12:55 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IS your height 5 feet 6 inches or 56 inches - 4'8. If it is 4'8 your inseam is really high at almost 30 inches and a really long thigh at 22 leaving your lower leg to be no more than 7 inches but you said 20. I have an 12 year old who is now 4'9 and looking at her I can't quite picture your dimensions. Are you by chance mixing different measuring systems (inches and centimeters)

Yeah top tube with reasonable stand over height.
Old 01-23-10, 01:32 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Assuming that your height is 5'-6" or 66 inches, then your 75cm inseam is very short. Did you push the book or level into your crotch to produce saddle-like crotch contact? If so, then the 48cm is the only size that would give you any standover clearance. A sloping TT frame would be a better choice. You'd still select the smallest size in just about any brand.
Old 01-23-10, 01:43 PM
dennisa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oops sorry about that, yeah that should read 5'6" for height. I think I'm going to take some measurements again and make sure I was certainly holding the level tight against my crotch and take an average of the readings. I certainly do have short legs even my tailored inseam is on the short side as far as jeans are concerned I wear a 31" waist x 30" length.

Also from what I can tell I might be able to fit a 52cm, the LBS said a 54cm but we haven't done any formal fittings yet.

Thanks for the replies so far tho.
Old 01-23-10, 01:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I don't think there's any way you'd fit a 54. You might be able to ride it, but you certainly wouldn't fit.
Old 01-23-10, 01:51 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Assuming that your height is 5'-6" or 66 inches, then your 75cm inseam is very short. Did you push the book or level into your crotch to produce saddle-like crotch contact? If so, then the 48cm is the only size that would give you any standover clearance. A sloping TT frame would be a better choice. You'd still select the smallest size in just about any brand.
Not everyone has the same anatomy Dave. There are 5'6 folks that would have a 28 inseam or less even if they are castrated. I know you have a tall inseam for your height but he may not.

5'6" -- now that makes sense. Since Cannondales are not as sloping down, you may want to try a 50 if you are concerned of more clearance from the standover, or get a euro bike that uses odd increments and get a 51. Orbea comes to mind. Those bikes have long top tubes. And thye have alu offerings lighter than 1Kg. My Mitis was 1300 grams. Supposedly the Arin is 950 or less. I have only seen one Arin
Old 01-23-10, 02:40 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by logdrum
Not everyone has the same anatomy Dave. There are 5'6 folks that would have a 28 inseam or less even if they are castrated. I know you have a tall inseam for your height but he may not.
I'm well aware that my inseam is about as long as they come for someone of my height, but 8cm less would be at the opposite extreme.

The OP says he wears 30" inseam pants. I buy all of my jeans with a 30 inch inseam and they've got ample length, so something does not jive.

I sometimes advise a test where you standover a bike with a horizontal TT in bare feet and block up the wheels until you get saddle-like crotch contact with the TT. That often produces quite a bit taller inseam reading and that's how I get my inseam. It agrees perfectly with my 73cm saddle height. That's why I prefer that an accurate saddle height to be posted rather than an inseam. Two people can have the same inseam, but if one pedals with a horizontal foot and the other raises his heel by 3cm (like I do), then that affects the saddle height, saddle to bar drop and ideal frame size.
Old 01-23-10, 02:41 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't the fit calculator give you the recommended tt length?
Old 01-23-10, 03:26 PM
DaveSSS 

The CC fit calculator gives a suggested TT length, but provides such a large range of fits that it's worthless, IMO. Also, a TT length without a STA to go with it does not define the reach of a frame. You could have frames with 52.3cm and 54cm TTs that fit the same, with respective STAs of 74.5 and 72.5 degrees.
Old 01-23-10, 03:34 PM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to consider is how YOU want the bike to fit. If you want a more upright position, then how you described it sounds about right. If you want a bike for racing and a more aero position, you probably want a smaller frame.
Old 01-23-10, 03:42 PM
OCRider2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are so many personal variables including: body dimensions, flexibility and setup preferences that come into play when selecting a frame size\geometry that I can't help but wonder how many first time road bike buyers get lucky and actually choose the frame size\geometry that will allow them to achieve optimal setup without having to resort to compromises like tons of steerer spacers or funky short\high rise stems, etc.

If you do a search on bike fit on this site you will read lots of stories about LBS's that sent their customer out the door with bikes with excessive bar drop, or too large a frame, etc.

I would be careful with making frame selections based on the numbers that fit calculators generate. As one example, they will spit out a recommended top tube length but you also need to factor in seat tube angle and once you adjust your saddle for good fore\aft balance you may discover that the top tube length\STA you selected forces you to go with a super short stem to get your reach right. Lot's and lot's of moving parts that all interact with each other. Unless you hook up someone who really knows bike fit I would almost recommend new roadies buy a $300 craigslist bike and figure out what their optimal setup is before buying anything decent. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-10, 03:56 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I'm exactly your size, and I ride a 52cm CAAD9 with a 90mm stem.

Really, the important measurement is the 535 ETT, which is what fits me, and what a "classic" 50cm "square" angled frame would have. However, the CAAD9, like most modern bikes, has a 2cm seattube protrusion above the toptube, which "classic" frames did not have. The 52cm CAAD9, measured to the top of the toptube, as opposed to the seattube, measures 50cm.

Which mostly goes to show how silly some of these measurements have become. Companies really should start selling bikes based on horizontal top tube measurement.

Anyhow, back on topic: I'm your size. 50cm and 52cm worked for me, but I usually go with the largest frame I can, provided the stem is reasonable. The 52cm was then the most comfortable. Plus, the seattube angle isn't as steep on the 52cm, which allowed me to balance over the pedals better.
Old 01-23-10, 03:57 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I'm 5'7", 28" or so inseam. I don't know my exact limb measurements. I roll up the end of my 30" inseam pants. I can emphasize with your fit issues.

I ride a 52 Cannondale right now (53.5 cm top tube), with a 12 cm stem. My arms pretty much hang straight down. I can straddle the top tube but I've cut the fork as short as possible and use a 73 degree stem. A 54 is simply too tall, both top tube and head tube.

I also own a size S Giant TCR carbon, an aluminum version too. Both have 53.5 cm effective top tubes. I rode a size M TCR for a while, with a 55.5 cm effective top tube, but the head tube was too tall, leaving the bars too high up.

A long time ago I rode a 50 cm Cannondale with a 14 or 14.5 cm stem (quill). I think that's the limit, a 15 felt too weird (I tried a mtb stem on my road bike).

If you can travel a bit you can check out fit on my bikes. I'm up in Simsbury. I'm out of the area from Tue night for a couple weeks though.

cdr
Old 01-23-10, 04:24 PM
dennisa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the best idea I have so far is for the LBS to get a 52cm in for me to test ride. Elaborating on my inseam I have to cuff my jeans twice that are 30" long. I do that because it's hard to find a 31" x 28"

I'll keep the STA in mind when I start narrowing down what frame I may end up with.

Thanks again
Old 01-23-10, 04:40 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at your fit calc measurements, I noticed that you have rounded off some of your numbers, and in inches no less. Not to start a flame war, but by doing this you could be adding or subtracting the inch equivalent of several millimetres by doing that. If you're really interested the results it gives you, all those errors of measurement could add up and that could mean a difference of one whole frame size.
Old 01-23-10, 07:00 PM
dennisa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good point. I'll try and find a tape measure that is metric.
Old 01-23-10, 07:06 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisa
Very good point. I'll try and find a tape measure that is metric.
Metric is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-23-10, 07:28 PM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisa
I think the best idea I have so far is for the LBS to get a 52cm in for me to test ride.
Yes. There is no subsitute for a test ride.