Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bicycle lighting for the car free

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bicycle lighting for the car free

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 03:45 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I
have a fairly bright headlight. It requires 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeables The light has two levels of brightness, but I almost always use the brightest level. I also have a rear blinkie which is bright enough to be noticeable.

In addition to the lights, I have a highway worker vest I wear if I'm riding at night. Or, if I don't use that, I have a reflective triangle which attaches to my backpack.

My methods may seem like overkill, but I want to be safe and visible. Also, the bright headlight helps where I live because we have some rural roads which are not well lit. Even so, I tend to slow down on
Overkill? No way. I run a 900 lumen 3 18650 cell as my primary unfocused beam, a 300 lumen focussed flash light right next to it, another 300 lumen light identical on my head. I run a solar powered rear flasher, a flexible bar type flasher for definition and two small blinikes on the side of my rear luggage pack for extra clarity that there is a bike here. Also all my bags (triangle frame, small cell phone/key holder,luggage system and under seat emergency bag) all have reflective tape. My jacket is equipped with reflective tape.

Overkill? Perhaps, but I ride everyday at 3am and I like to be seen.
Old 10-25-12, 09:01 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I use a USB-charged light: Urban 500 by Light & Motion. It's a very bright light, very well designed, easy to install and remove, and I like the fact that it's easily rechargeable, but, honestly, it's way more light than I need for urban riding. If you ride in a city at night, a $35 Cateye is totally adequate.
I'm so old-fashioned! What are the pros & cons of USB charging vs. just plugging it into the wall?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-25-12, 09:37 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure... my usb charged devices get plugged into an adapter that plugs.... into the wall. I guess it gives a few more options on the move.
Old 10-25-12, 11:42 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't owned a car for more than 10 years now. Not only do I commute, but I also have a passion for touring, and classic sport rides, be it road or dirt. With that said, I only use rechargeable lights. Light and Motion, ARC Ultra, Stella 300, Seca 1400, and recently a new SoLite 150. I use the lights according to demand.

Lately, I've been using the SoLite 150. Its less than 150gm, is helmet mounted, provides 150lumes for about 3hrs, which is more than my typical 2hr ride. However it pails in comparison to the Seca 1400 mounted on the bar with the Stella 300 on the helmet. So it really depends on how I am riding and what my schedule is. For awhile I was working graveyard shift, so my 2.5hr rides would start around dusk, and finish at work. Having super bright lights helps with "mood". Typically more light helps me get in a stronger workout. Low lights, typically lull me into a torpor.

The SoLite 150 is pretty good, in that its enough for a couple of hours, and at less than 150gm, I don't even realize I have it on my helmet, which makes for convenient day after day use.

USB charging is more convenient vs wall charger in that when you get to work, you can simply plug it into a USB outlet (found on work computers), which means you don't have to leave a wall charger at work, and keep one at home. In that respect, if you have a USB light that will last for 2hrs, there is a solid chance that you're going to be covered thru early morning and late night commutes. Being able to charge your light twice a day means you can use a smaller battery, which means less bulk and less weight. Or conversely, you can choose a light that cranks out a bunch of lumens and burns for 1.5hrs and rest assured that when you get to work, you can charge it.
Old 10-26-12, 02:29 AM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
USB charging is more convenient vs wall charger in that when you get to work, you can simply plug it into a USB outlet
I agree, but the output from a computer USB terminal compared to that of a dedicated wall wart/adapter is usually less. This means when I charge my 3000mah torch batteries it can take as long as 7 hours compared to 3-4 hours on the adapter. If you are talking the main light running 7000mah in 3 batteries well... the more power you can feed them the better. I also never work in one place for more than 2 hours at a time so charging pretty much has to happen at home.

I do however use a car usb adapter and a 12v power source to keep the gps on my phone running for 12 hours. A plus when you like to ride 250km in one ride.
Old 10-26-12, 03:37 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm so old-fashioned! What are the pros & cons of USB charging vs. just plugging it into the wall?
Plug into car chargers, computers and other places. In many cases if your cellphone and other electronics use the same type of charger you can carry one charger for multiple devices.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-26-12, 08:42 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AsanaCycles
I haven't owned a car for more than 10 years now. Not only do I commute, but I also have a passion for touring, and classic sport rides, be it road or dirt. With that said, I only use rechargeable lights. Light and Motion, ARC Ultra, Stella 300, Seca 1400, and recently a new SoLite 150. I use the lights according to demand.
I would have thought rechargeable light would be a PITA for a touring cyclist. That's one of the reasons I invested in a hynohub. Light is undoubtedly better on the rechargeable, but after 3 hours, you're left in the dark. (And although I normally need a light for about 45 minutes commute, it's amazing how often I was caught with a weak battery.)
Old 10-26-12, 08:50 AM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
I would have thought rechargeable light would be a PITA for a touring cyclist. That's one of the reasons I invested in a hynohub. Light is undoubtedly better on the rechargeable, but after 3 hours, you're left in the dark. (And although I normally need a light for about 45 minutes commute, it's amazing how often I was caught with a weak battery.)
depending on the demand, you can pick and choose light/battery combos. when I'm on tour, my typical choice is the Stella 300 combined with a 3cell LiIon battery. On high at 300 lumens it runs for about 5hrs. On low at 75 lumens it runs for over 20hrs. On bike tour, it seems that I typically ride during the day and sleep at night. But there is an occasion here and there that I may ride for a couple of hours in the dark.
Old 10-26-12, 09:20 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amoeba in front, Super Flash in back.
Old 10-26-12, 01:31 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just so happens that Light and Motion is clearing out their SoLite 150s

https://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/solite150.html

Miner Headstrap
Bike Helmet
Bike
Hand Torch

LUMENS

RUN TIME (hrs):
high: 3:00
med: 6:00
low: 40:00

WEIGHT
135 gr

Old 10-27-12, 01:38 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I do plug it into the wall; it's exactly like recharging a cell phone.
Old 10-27-12, 04:18 AM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is why I carry spare cells with me when I ride from before sunrise until after dark. You can also carry more than one light (I have 3) and just leave one off for when the others fail. What I want is a light I can recharge, yet still have the power of a 18650 cell to keep it bright at all speeds. These days with the solar rechargable cell phone booster batteries I can see mounting one on the touring bag behind the seat and running that to a charger then charging the other batteries. I've done it with a 12v motorcycle battery and a simple set of 8 AA batteries so it works. I can ride all day, then use the freshly charged booster battery to recharge the phone/primary lighting batteries when they get weak. It would also be feasible with a dynamo.. as long it puts out the right voltage.
Old 10-27-12, 04:26 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
From following various threads in other forums, seems like bicycle light is a contentious issue.

I'm guessing that trying to life without a full-time car and therefore needing to travel at night puts some extra requirements on lighting specs.

For example, I used to have a rechargable light (it was a pretty bright DIY job...), but if I needed to go somewhere while it was charging, I had to reach for another light.

Also I found that my bright light wasn't well focused and that a well designed bike-specific light, even though its output was less, seemed to work better.

For the last couple of years, I've been using dyno lights and find the effort of fixing up a new wheel is well worth the pain. They aren't as bright as rechargeables, but seem to me to be adequate.

What about you? What lights your way?
I prefer to use small to tiny lights that can be easily removed and stored without much fuss or room taken up by them on/off the bike. Plus I like to switch bikes on occasion & I don't care to buy multiple sets of lights for each bike. My favorite ones resembled this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/59...ht_signal.html. I like my own very much & don't have to worry about battery replacement anymore. I am also exploring purchasing another style of light-a solar powered one. I want a back-up for any of my bikes I own or happen to be using at the time & the battery runs low or even out and quits on me.

Present tiny light for both front & rear (click on image below for a much larger one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1LD8HpVa8s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6114hiACm3L.jpg (71.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 10-27-12 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 04:28 AM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^ Just got one of those. Love it. Its not bright but it never runs out batteries.
Old 10-27-12, 04:46 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Since I bought my own pair of tiny lights (front & rear), I decided to look into the Bike Glow wrap arounds a bit further as an decorative item as well as additional safety side view device. I am seriously thinking about buying one when I have the money.
https://www.bikeglow.com/

Attached Images
BikeGlowInAction5.JPG (9.5 KB, 2 views)
Bike_glow_bike.jpg (66.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 10-27-12 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-10-12, 06:26 PM
buck65
cherish the day

Bikes: Rivendel Sam Hillborne, SOMA San Marcos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very pleased with my 350 lumen Cygolite Expilion up front and Planet Bike Superflash in the back. Both have been very helpful considering the recent time change.
Old 11-11-12, 09:59 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yesterday I installed a bunch of cheap Dutch dyno lighting on my winter bike. Spanninga products. Including a noisy bottle generator. I got the whole thing put together for about $90-100. The headlight wasn't that great... probably like a 1 watt Planet Bike battery light, but the tail light is super.

I'll try to post back about the bottle generator. Not sure how reliable that will be.

Meanwhile I'll probably run a battery light and super flash as backup on this bike.
Old 11-11-12, 11:52 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I use 2-Cateye Uno's, (single AA battery), there more of a "spot light" but with two, they do a decent job of lighting a whole dark bike path. I have a little guppy light, (shaped a bit like a fish), that I run as a constant "blinking" light, just as an attention getter! One solid red and one flashing red light on the back.
Attached Images
cateyeuno.jpg (17.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 11-11-12, 06:18 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at where to mount lights on my bike. I use my bike for touring as well as riding around town, so I have the handlebar set up to accommodate a handlebar bag. I have been able to get one headlight in place with this system, but I'm strongly considering adding more lighting, especially now that we're into the short days of the winter season.
Old 11-11-12, 07:11 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I'm looking at where to mount lights on my bike. I use my bike for touring as well as riding around town, so I have the handlebar set up to accommodate a handlebar bag. I have been able to get one headlight in place with this system, but I'm strongly considering adding more lighting, especially now that we're into the short days of the winter season.
If you have a front rack you can mount them under that, I have two set up that way. I also mount them of the hole in the center of the fork, some are mounted with brakes some without. They also make a mount that will replace the skewer nut on a QR axle. I have also seen a similar mount that uses the fender or front rack mounting holes.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-11-12, 09:22 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I use 2-Cateye Uno's, (single AA battery), there more of a "spot light" but with two, they do a decent job of lighting a whole dark bike path. I have a little guppy light, (shaped a bit like a fish), that I run as a constant "blinking" light, just as an attention getter! One solid red and one flashing red light on the back.
This is about what I need for a backup got my winter bike. I see it sells for around $20.
Old 11-11-12, 09:33 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Schwinn I'm restoring came with a 70's era star light, great reflector, but the bulb was just bright enough to see the pothole before you fell into it, I had one just like it back in the day, I pulled the bulb and replaced it with a 6 volt high power LED, I haven't got the bike on the road yet but the light is extremely bright, the bike had the generator which I'll leave on for looks, but the bike lights will be powered by a hidden battery pack with AA batteries, I'm just going to use energizer rechargeable because I can carry spares, I saw a reproduction Schwinn bullet type light on ebay, and I'm going to get one of those and also modify it with a high power LED, for riding on the road at night I have a personal wearable red strobe, it's a tube strobe not an LED, and is hard to miss, we have a trail here which isnt well lit, so front lighting is very important to me, I also have a helmet light to wear on the trail in addition to the bike light
Old 11-11-12, 09:49 PM
masterofsilence
Heavyweight

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostforawhile
The Schwinn I'm restoring came with a 70's era star light, great reflector, but the bulb was just bright enough to see the pothole before you fell into it, I had one just like it back in the day, I pulled the bulb and replaced it with a 6 volt high power LED, I haven't got the bike on the road yet but the light is extremely bright, the bike had the generator which I'll leave on for looks, but the bike lights will be powered by a hidden battery pack with AA batteries, I'm just going to use energizer rechargeable because I can carry spares, I saw a reproduction Schwinn bullet type light on ebay, and I'm going to get one of those and also modify it with a high power LED, for riding on the road at night I have a personal wearable red strobe, it's a tube strobe not an LED, and is hard to miss, we have a trail here which isnt well lit, so front lighting is very important to me, I also have a helmet light to wear on the trail in addition to the bike light
I would buy some lithium rechargeable batteries. If you're talking about a good high-power LED, it should be a major power sucker, which the energizer nimh batteries aren't good for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6400mAh-8-4v...item3ccaf7d202
Old 11-11-12, 10:05 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've thought about some of the packs they use in radio control cars, they have leads with a plug,which I can change for my needs, I'll just carry a spare. I still have my car but at 13 MPG i'm going to be putting a lot of miles on this bike
Old 11-11-12, 10:23 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
This is about what I need for a backup got my winter bike. I see it sells for around $20.
I think closer to $25 but I'm sure you can find them cheaper online, than in you LBS. Using only a "single" AA battery, it will last quite a while. I have two on the bike, (extra mounts for the other bike). I Use one in, "blink" mode in the "day time". I can get 2 months of blink mode (using it everyday) out of one battery. Had them for 3 years now and they've been in the rain and COLD too and keep on ticking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.