Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Upstate NY

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Upstate NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 12:26 PM
buddybakesale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from Upstate NY

Just found this forum and glad I did, seems to be a lot of great info and a lot of very helpful people in this community.

I've been biking for a some years now and have mainly done mountain biking and riding on the road for a work out with my mountain bike. So.....I am finally realizing a road bike might be better for the latter. Looking for one at the moment and hopefully I can start cycling soon.
Likes For buddybakesale:
Old 11-02-23, 01:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Welcome.
Have fun looking.

Old 11-03-23, 10:27 AM
TimFietser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, welcome from another "Newbie" here!

Greets from The Netherlands,
Tim
Old 11-03-23, 02:38 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Glad to have you with us. I'd stick with your MTB until spring. That's what I do.
Old 11-03-23, 08:58 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Welcome. Where in upstate NY? I lived in Hamilton NY for a bit, and still visit regularly. Good hills for riding.
Old 11-03-23, 09:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Continuing this conversation, “Upstate” is a seemingly controversial label. It’s a line somewhere north of about Westchester County, to maybe Saratoga Springs, north of that is the “North Country” and then west to maybe just before Binghamton, west of that seems to be “Central NY”, or even “Western NY” eventually. People are on occasion pissy when somebody’s says “Oh, you live upstate” when they are in western NY.

Last edited by Steve B.; 11-03-23 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-04-23, 08:11 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Continuing this conversation, “Upstate” is a seemingly controversial label. It’s a line somewhere north of about Westchester County, to maybe Saratoga Springs, north of that is the “North Country” and then west to maybe just before Binghamton, west of that seems to be “Central NY”, or even “Western NY” eventually. People are on occasion pissy when somebody’s says “Oh, you live upstate” when they are in western NY.
All I know is that I used to work in NYC for a Silicon Valley based company and commute in from Albany 1-2 times per week and our travel managers struggled with the idea that when I requested a "flight back to New York" I did not mean JFK International.

It was weird how foreign that concept was outside of New York state.
Old 11-04-23, 08:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
When I was young western NY was often referred to "upstate" by the folks who lived there. The Sunday magazine feature in the Rochester paper was called "Upstate." I sort of thought upstate was everything west of Albany. Wasn't until I got a little older that I realized folks in the city called everything north of the river upstate. They didn't think of western NY as upstate, they weren't even sure we were part of the state. Might as well have been in Cleveland.

Saratoga to my my knowledge back then was the 'northern tier."
Old 11-04-23, 09:21 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
called everything north of the river upstater."
There's a highway sign on Interstate 87, also known as the Major Deegan, in the north part of the Bronx that says "Upstate" for the direction the highway is going. I'm certain folks in the Bronx and on Long Island, seeing that sign assume anything north of the NYC line is "upstate". LOL.
Old 11-24-23, 11:38 AM
RJfos

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1990 Trek 750 Multi-Track

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Welcome from another upstate New Yorker. Well, actually I grew up there but moved away after college. I was back a couple months back to ride the Erie Canal Trail from Buffalo to Albany with my siblings (who all still live there) to commemorate the passing of our father. An absolute wonderful experience. I have to give credit to all the the local communities, local clubs and the State of New York for bringing this gem of a trail to fruition.