Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Pedals for skidding

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pedals for skidding

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 03:27 PM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't listen to people tell you to loose the front brake, thats a stupid idea. Many people ride without one, including myself, but that doesn't mean everyone should. And nobody should ever tell another person to remove their brake. That is a decision that you the individual riding the bike need to make for yourself.

As far as learning to skid, read the sheldon brown article posted above, then watch some how to you tube videos or something, then if you can watch someone in real life. Having somebody there to watch and teach you will help you learn significantly faster.
Old 05-15-09, 03:44 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
loose your front brake

I ride brakeless most of the time,but this has to be the sh****est advise for someone new to FG ever.
Old 05-15-09, 04:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
loose your front brake
Why? At a minimum this doesn't seem to have any relevance to the topic under discussion.
Old 05-15-09, 04:15 PM
superjohnny

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck fixed & 1 geared, & a DeSalvo Ti roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody should ride off the track without a brake. It's called the law (in most states). Why would you not? Does it not look cool? Do you respect people who tell you it doesn't look cool?
Old 05-15-09, 04:17 PM
ModernDivo

Bikes: Cypress track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
If you've ever considered going clipless, AEbike.com has Egg Beaters for $22 + $4 shipping as their daily deal today. Of course, you'd still need shoes.
I don't ride clipless so I don't really know, but wouldn't it be too easy to accidently become unclipped if you were skidding on them?
Old 05-15-09, 05:21 PM
brandonspeck
everyday I'm hustlin'

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Steamrolla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ModernDivo
I don't ride clipless so I don't really know, but wouldn't it be too easy to accidently become unclipped if you were skidding on them?
I've had this problem with eggbeaters a few times, but it was rare. I really had to be whipping my bike out when it happened. But I switched to Candy's and the small platform keeps you in better.
Old 05-15-09, 05:50 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried Egg Beaters but I tried Alium cleats and these were awesome. I think Aliums never unclip; so much so you really need to practice unclipping.

But I am using SPD now because Alium cleats aren't so widely available where I am. These are pretty fine, too. I haven't had skid-unclipping. I can unclip easier compared to Alium which is just the way I like. Cleats seem to be tougher.

T
Old 05-15-09, 06:15 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
When using Shimano SPDs, be sure the crank down the spring tension pretty hard if you intend to skid....You can vertically unclip SPDs with enough force....its happened to me numerous times, and I don't ride fixed with them anymore for that reason. I've never experienced unplanned releases with any other form of clipless pedal...just spds. Several years back there was a thread by a guy who was sprinting with SPDs and one pedal released. The guy was seriously injured.
Someone on this forum had the same thing happen with egg beaters and he went down hard. If your technique sucks while pedalling out of the saddle using clipless, you stand a high chance of bailing regardless of the system. I run SPDs and pull up pretty hard on the upstroke, and even with factory spring tension (ie, about the mid way point) I've never unclipped unintentionally in the 2 months I've been using them. If you twist your foot sideways or even pull up at an angle (ie inside of the foot harder than outside of the foot) they release pretty easily, which I believe is by design.

That said, I would not use them or any other clipless system for skidding since it's much more difficult to accidentally unclip with toe straps
Old 05-15-09, 06:51 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep the brake.

If you can afford toeclips get them. You dont NEED them but I think its a bit easier than skiding on platforms.

when I was a kid we used to skid on platforms just fine. If we really wanted to skid we would HOOK one foot under the pedal. Then again only poor kids had fixed gears.

Well no...Some kids couldnt afford bikes at all so they would borrow their dads bike and it was too big of course. They couldn't stradle it so they would put one leg THROUGH the frame under the top tube. Now it didnt matter wheter they where fixed or freewheel bikes because you cant do a full revolution on that position. So kids had to do a 1/10 turn forward on the cracks and then turn backwards 1/10 over and over again. Slowly you would build up speed and get to go pretty fast. I got to get video of this lost "art". I am sure someone here woud get a laugh out of it.

As for brakes we didn't use brakes on our bikes even single speeds. If you had one you were considered a *****. Then again I rode on the sidewalk, got runover once, cliped once, hit head-on once, and I hit a car coming out of a driveway once, I flew through the air and landed on the other side. Also we would get INSIDE truck tires and roll down hills.....wait...

Hmmmm. You know what? Dont ****ing do anything I did as kid. Get a brake or two, some toe-clips, and drive on the road like an adult.

Last edited by EatMyA**; 05-15-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 07:52 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think those "accidental" unclipage occurred because of the following reasons:

1. Using SH-55 cleats instead of SH-51

I think SH-55 cleats will disengage for any slightly upward stress.

2. Float angle of the pedals are too narrow
3. Technique is poor like me and can't keep the feet straight.

I had a difficult time with 4 degree float angle; because I can't keep my feet straight. It is kinda hard to notice but keeping feet straight so exactly is kinda hard. SPD will disengage ... accurately. I went 6 degree float angle; and this seems to work extremely well.

Probably the person panicked like anyone here would be and his feet went everywhere. SPD accurately disengaged and he went flying. Egg Beaters would probably done something similar. It's no fault of the machine.

Smashed into a car? Huh! That's nothing. I somehow fell over sideways at a big cross-section waiting for green-light. I failed to react and landed hard on my side all clipped in and everything. So I ended up upside down in the perfect riding position except my back was on the asphalt and my bike wheels straight up to the sky. And, I couldn't disengage and had to be pulled aside. ... Totally bruised my ego.

T
Old 05-15-09, 08:37 PM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after you learn how to ride...then you can put the brake back on
Old 05-15-09, 09:18 PM
Saberhead
Bikes hella booty!

Bikes: 725TR Leader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as skidding goes, I'm still trying to learn too, and I think double straps help (they do for me anyway). Maybe if you feel like youre not getting it down as tight, try and invest in some double straps to see if it helps more (just get a pair of cheaper ones to see if works to your benefit). Having some friends who are more advanced can be useful, they can watch your form and tell you what your doing right/wrong.
Old 05-16-09, 03:22 AM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
double straps have nothing to do with it. singles are just fine
Old 05-16-09, 10:16 AM
luketg08
woopwoop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to learn how to skid without foot retention, but I had some rather scary moments. Get some retention. Power straps are cheap and pretty easy for a novice to clips to use.
Old 05-16-09, 11:55 AM
Yaktizzle417

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Build your own

I ride brakeless most of the time,but this has to be the sh****est advise for someone new to FG ever.
This.

All my friends that I got to start riding with me all rock front brakes. Its not worth the extra 2pts to look cool and hip when you can't stop. Especially when you plow into a person, car, curb, or other anti-cycling object.
Old 05-16-09, 12:09 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i used my front brake for about a year or more...i just recently took it off because i feel comfortable riding brakeless

Old 05-16-09, 01:33 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
loose your front brake
Bad advice.

double straps have nothing to do with it. singles are just fine