Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Most comfortable bike seat?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 07:40 AM
bmt074

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm building a commuter using an old mountain bike that is strictly being put together to haul stuff (grocery bags and whatnot) and be comfortable. I'm looking for a really comfortable larger seat to replace the small seat currently attached to it.

What are some of the more comfortable bike seats out there? I know there are a ton of them on the market.
Old 05-26-10, 07:53 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short answer: whichever Brooks is appropriate for your bike. How high are your handlebars in relation to your saddle?

Long answer: I've tried stock saddles (never any good) Bell granny saddles with lycra fabric coating, a wide butt, and springs (OK for trips up to 1/2 hour; the lycra wears through quickly) and a Brooks Flyer.

The Brooks Flyer has been by far the most comfortable, and I think the main reason is that it breathes. The springs also take the edge off the bumps. Its superiority is especially noticable on longer rides. The Flyer is the sprung version of the B17. It is heavier on account of the springs, and the springs bring the bottom of the saddle low enough that seat bag selection becomes tougher. The typical ones that hook to the rails of the saddle hang really low, looking all dopey, and interfere with rack bags. But to me, it is well worth it.
Old 05-26-10, 07:54 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I use a Brooks B-17...
Old 05-26-10, 09:57 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I'm not a leather fan in general, but especially because I ride in all kinds of weather, I'd worry about a leather bike seat, but a more breathable bike seat does sound good. If the leather and price don't bother you, everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere leads me to believe Brooks is the way to go.

I have tried a few seats, looking for a comfortable, non-leather option. I thought a nice, wide seat would be nice, but I've found that a wide seat hits the backs of my legs on the down stroke. Not nearly as comfortable as I thought. Right now one bike has an old-style sprung saddle, vinyl cover. It's good for short rides, but does not breathe so it can get sweaty. For the bike I spend most of my time on, I've been using a Specialized Body Geometry (Avatar, I think). It has a little padding, but not much. I can get tired of sitting on it for hours on end, but I expect that's true of any seat, and probably a few long days in the saddle will take care of that. Otherwise I find it to be a pretty comfortable seat.
Old 05-26-10, 10:47 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use a Brooks now, but I actually had a gel saddle that came with the bike (Giant Cypress) and I rode with it for 3 years without problems.

IMO, saddles are either painful or invisible. It's not like they're Laz-E-Boy recliners - you don't sit in them to kick back and relax. At best they support you and don't cause you pain, and you don't think about them. If you're thinking about the saddle, it's probably not a great saddle.
Old 05-26-10, 11:42 AM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks Champion Flyer. Got one on my mountain bike/ commuter bike. Best seat ever

https://www.wallbike.com/championflyer.html

It's the B-17 with spring suspension

Just put a waterproof cover on it for the rain
Old 05-26-10, 11:59 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Brooks B17 and I find it very comfortable. TBH, though, if you ride enough, you'll be comfortable on almost anything. If you don't ride very much, you'll be uncomfortable on almost everything (Brooks included).
Old 05-26-10, 12:11 PM
bent-not-broken
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am one of those rare people who couldn't use a b-17. The good news is the resale after 600 miles was nearly what I paid for it. For me a lighlty padded saddle with a groove woks best. I use a WTB pure -v and a specialized bg equally.
Old 05-26-10, 12:23 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigger is not necessarily = more comfortable. I'd read that a lot on other saddle-related threads and can now vouch for that. I recently went from a wider suspension saddle (stock with my hybrid) to this narrower non-suspension saddle, and the new saddle is WAY more comfortable!
Old 05-26-10, 01:32 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SMP saddles are IMO the most comfy.
Old 05-26-10, 01:49 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Specialized Avatar.
Old 05-26-10, 02:42 PM
jsmonet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatever fits your bones and makes your taint happy. for me it was a specialized romin.
Old 06-01-10, 08:36 AM
asharx

Bikes: GT ZR5000, GT Timberline, Chariot Chauffeur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer to this question is going to be all over the map, you are asking for personal preferences. What works for one person will not work for another.

For me, my go to seat is the Stelle Italia Trans Am XO. I have replaced the stock seat on both of my bikes with this, $35 bucks at my LBS.

My butt couldn't be happier.

Last edited by asharx; 06-01-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-01-10, 09:29 AM
buck65
cherish the day

Bikes: Rivendel Sam Hillborne, SOMA San Marcos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi sells a Velo brand saddle on their site that I absolutely love (kinda reminds be of the Velo Plush saddle). It takes about a week to break it and only costs $20. It's a synthetic saddle with a nice groove down the center, and it's pretty wide, unlike some "racing" saddles out there.

I've tried two B17's in the past (about a year of usage) and have mixed feelings about them when riding in street clothes. When wearing my bib shorts, I can be on a Brooks saddle all day long...but I tend to find discomfort in street clothes. And I really don't enjoy wearing cycling shorts under my jeans. OP, saddle choice is very personal so you've just got to take a leap and see if one works for you. The break in period with any saddle sucks, but life sure is good once you've found your perfect match.
Old 06-01-10, 09:34 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever feels right to you is the most comfortable bike seat. I was on a stock saddle for years and loved it. It was very comfortable and wasn't too big. After reading about Brooks, I switched over and will never go back. I bought another one yesterday for my touring bike.
Old 06-01-10, 09:43 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelmama
Whatever feels right to you is the most comfortable bike seat. I was on a stock saddle for years and loved it. It was very comfortable and wasn't too big. After reading about Brooks, I switched over and will never go back. I bought another one yesterday for my touring bike.
Was it the standard men version Brook seat? I wanted to get one for my commuter but then I saw that they have female Brook seat. Just wondering if there any difference because all my LBS carry the male version and I cannot check out the female version.
Old 06-01-10, 10:24 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
Was it the standard men version Brook seat? I wanted to get one for my commuter but then I saw that they have female Brook seat. Just wondering if there any difference because all my LBS carry the male version and I cannot check out the female version.
Hi Colleen, I know the Imperials have different shaped cut-outs between the male & female versions.

The regular, "non-Imperials" are also shaped differently, I assume for womens' wider hips. I think you should hold out for an 'S' suffox version, which is their designator for womens models.
Old 06-01-10, 10:42 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
i like the Serfas dual density saddles. so far i have done several 30+ mile rides and been completely comfortable seat-wise the entire time. $40.
Old 06-01-10, 11:08 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Hi Colleen, I know the Imperials have different shaped cut-outs between the male & female versions.

The regular, "non-Imperials" are also shaped differently, I assume for womens' wider hips. I think you should hold out for an 'S' suffox version, which is their designator for womens models.
Thanks. I think I will hold out a little longer. I'm gonna check to see if REI can get me what I think will work in the women version since they have the satisfaction return policy. So far personally for me, most male version saddle have a too long nose piece that is a pain the the you know what (and I don't mean butt either) argh.
Old 06-02-10, 07:51 PM
woodbridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
specialized body geometry is the way to go! check out their options. that is all i ever ride.
Old 06-02-10, 08:06 PM
bmt074

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm giving the Bell Memory Foam seat a shot... Just got it today. It is massive compared to the old seat but hopefully it'll be much more comfortable.
Old 06-02-10, 08:07 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by asharx
The answer to this question is going to be all over the map, you are asking for personal preferences. What works for one person will not work for another.

For me, my go to seat is the Stelle Italia Trans Am XO. I have replaced the stock seat on both of my bikes with this, $35 bucks at my LBS.

My butt couldn't be happier.
+=1

See there you go. I am 56 yrs old and 205 lbs, 5' 11" and I love my Sella Italia flight gel. Very comfortable.

Gene
Old 06-02-10, 08:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Comfiest, biggest saddle I've been on is a Terry Cite Y
Old 06-02-10, 08:51 PM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colleen c
Thanks. I think I will hold out a little longer. I'm gonna check to see if REI can get me what I think will work in the women version since they have the satisfaction return policy. So far personally for me, most male version saddle have a too long nose piece that is a pain the the you know what (and I don't mean butt either) argh.
Hi Colleen
Actually the Brooks for ladies has the "S" designation after the model numbers. Example would be the B-17 S. The B-17 is the most popular in a non sprung model. The most popular according to Brooks in the sprung model is the B-17 Flyer. For each model the ladies saddle is a bit wider and the nose is shorter.
You can get all this info re: sizes, by going to the Brooks site. Just Google Brooks Saddles a very informative site. At the very least you can read all about a very old company doing things the same way for more than a hundred years.
There is a company in the states who have a large selection of Brooks saddles and have a excellent return policy i understand, dont like it return it or exchange it. Lots of Americans on BF have taken advantage of there policy ive read on here. Google Wallingford Bicycles.

Last edited by ddez; 06-02-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:53 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Colleen:

Wallingford Bike Shop in New Orleans seems to be the go-to place for Brooks saddles here in the US. They have the biggest selection and do a 6 month unconditional satisfaction guarantee on Brooks Saddles. They'll take them back no questions asked within 6 months if you don't like them. My local shops don't stock Brooks so I've bought from them.

https://www.wallbike.com/

I would call them and describe your riding style as they are the experts. But the B17 'S' for a more relaxed riding style or the Team Pro 'S' for a more aggressive riding style would be the first two logical choices unless you wanted to go with a heavier saddle with springs. I have the Champion Flyer Special on my hardtail mountain bike and it is to die for. I love it and it has been comfortable since day 1. No break in. They also make a woman's version of that saddle, the Champion Flyer Special 'S' which is what I would put on my wife's bike if she wanted a new saddle. But she's happy with her Sella Italia and doesn't ride enough to really care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.