Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bicycle lighting for the car free

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 08:27 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

From following various threads in other forums, seems like bicycle light is a contentious issue.

I'm guessing that trying to life without a full-time car and therefore needing to travel at night puts some extra requirements on lighting specs.

For example, I used to have a rechargable light (it was a pretty bright DIY job...), but if I needed to go somewhere while it was charging, I had to reach for another light.

Also I found that my bright light wasn't well focused and that a well designed bike-specific light, even though its output was less, seemed to work better.

For the last couple of years, I've been using dyno lights and find the effort of fixing up a new wheel is well worth the pain. They aren't as bright as rechargeables, but seem to me to be adequate.

What about you? What lights your way?
Old 10-17-12, 08:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
As always, I'm a minimalist. (IOW, cheapskate) I just use the cheap LEDs that use AA batteries. Planetbike superflash is my usual choice, although other makes are available that are just as good.

I like the run time of 20 to 30 hours or more. My city is lit well, so I really don't need lights to see the road. Drivers can see unlit bikes pretty good. I would never ride at night without lights but the small lights are adequate to be seen by, IMO. These cheap lights are so small and light that it's easy to double them up or carry spares. I often ride with an extra front light mounted on my bars or fork. I usually have a second rear blinky on the left seat stay too.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-17-12, 09:13 PM
iheartbacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It gets dark so early and light so late around here I may just invent something that fits in my trailer that drops a road flare every 300 feet.
Old 10-17-12, 09:54 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It took me a while to realize good lights are like good shoes. Any light might work but a good light works better. I have a niterider Mini Newt 150 I got for 60 bucks about a year ago. It had been replaced by the 200 then the 350 I believe. But it puts out a very bright light that allows me to see the pot holes and trash that seems to find their way into my path the few times I get caught after dark. But the Mini Newt is to see and the super flash on the back is to be seen. I also put a white frog light on my helmet in the front and a red one in the back to be seen as well.
Old 10-18-12, 12:50 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
...For example, I used to have a rechargable light (it was a pretty bright DIY job...), but if I needed to go somewhere while it was charging, I had to reach for another light.

Also I found that my bright light wasn't well focused and that a well designed bike-specific light, even though its output was less, seemed to work better...
I tried the diy, too, and had the same result--bright but unfocused. I got an Ixon IQ, which gives out fewer lumens, but works better due to the focus, and does not blind other cyclists or cars. It's worth the extra cash to get an effective light, if you ride frequently at night.
Old 10-18-12, 06:06 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
I tried the diy, too, and had the same result--bright but unfocused. I got an Ixon IQ, which gives out fewer lumens, but works better due to the focus, and does not blind other cyclists or cars. It's worth the extra cash to get an effective light, if you ride frequently at night.
I recently outfitted my touring bike with a Bush and Muller headlight. Pretty nice, much better than others I have used.

I have also used Planet Bike lights like Roody uses. My dyno lights seem to output about the same as a PB 2 watt light. The big problem was having to take the lights off when locking up at a rack and when putting the bike out in my cold garage. This eventually lead to me dropping a headlight or two which eventually lead to them no longer working. The dyno lights seem to be more durable, but just because they stay with the bike... hard to steal and not affected by cold.

Except for that, a PB 2 watt with a Superflash rear light, using a good rechargeable battery like Sanyo Eneloops, is a good system.

Last edited by gerv; 10-18-12 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 06:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am dyno powered. I want lights ON the bike that are going to work the minute I spin up to speed. No looking for batteries, lost lights that fell off, etc, etc.

I primarily use the B&M head lights, tail lights vary. Almost all of my bikes have Planet Bike Superflashes on them for be seen and back up lighting. Most of my dyno lights are the EU code with stand lights. FWIW I buy my PB Superflashes on sale, Amazon used to run BOGO's on them pretty regularly.

I have been riding at night for over 40 years. My very first bike light was a metal Eveready flashlight with a Wald bracket. Things have improved since then. If I were going to buy a rechargeable it would be the Mini-newt.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-18-12, 09:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I recently outfitted my touring bike with a Bush and Muller headlight. Pretty nice, much better than others I have used.

I have also used Planet Bike lights like Roody uses. My dyno lights seem to output about the same as a PB 2 watt light. The big problem was having to take the lights off when locking up at a rack and when putting the bike out in my cold garage. This eventually lead to me dropping a headlight or two which eventually lead to them no longer working. The dyno lights seem to be more durable, but just because they stay with the bike... hard to steal and not affected by cold.

Except for that, a PB 2 watt with a Superflash rear light, using a good rechargeable battery like Sanyo Eneloops, is a good system.
I have dropped PB lights a number of times. The batteries and parts scattered over a wide area, and it was hard to find everything in the dark. But the lights always worked after I put them back together.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-18-12, 11:17 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using a solar headlight. Works out pretty well in Los Angeles we have lots of sun....
Old 10-18-12, 01:32 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a fairly bright headlight. It requires 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeables The light has two levels of brightness, but I almost always use the brightest level. I also have a rear blinkie which is bright enough to be noticeable.

In addition to the lights, I have a highway worker vest I wear if I'm riding at night. Or, if I don't use that, I have a reflective triangle which attaches to my backpack.

My methods may seem like overkill, but I want to be safe and visible. Also, the bright headlight helps where I live because we have some rural roads which are not well lit. Even so, I tend to slow down on those roads at night.
Old 10-19-12, 01:49 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to us a fenix with a twofish mount, worked fine as long as I had remembered to charge/replace the batteries. Finally went with a son dynohub, love it.
Old 10-19-12, 08:20 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by busted knuckles
I used to us a fenix with a twofish mount, worked fine as long as I had remembered to charge/replace the batteries. Finally went with a son dynohub, love it.
I'm guessing a SON hub would be pretty delux. What headlight do you use with it?

If I had to do a whole bunch of night riding, I might even get a rechargeable light with the dyno light. Although I've never actually needed a backup for any of my hub lights... they've been pretty reliable.
Old 10-19-12, 09:36 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use this headlamp from Princeton Tec. The light was $35 and comes with a head strap, a helmet mount, and a handlebar mount. It works great and means that I can use it in all sorts of situations besides just cycling, like camping, or working in the dark when I need my hands. I also like being able to shine my light in drivers faces to make sure they see me. The flexibility to mount it wherever I want is also nice should I ever want to attach it to my handlebars, I can. It also has three different brightness levels which makes it perfect for reading in a tent, plus a flashing mode. Its been with me through about 13 countries, getting dropped and abused the whole way, and still works like new. Uses 3 rechargeable AAA batteries. https://www.campmor.com/princeton-tec...=%7Bkeyword%7D
Old 10-19-12, 11:07 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We donated our second car to charity and are now living car light as of Oct 1. I commute 100% by bike now and my wife has the car. For me to get to the point where I could make that commitment to bicycle commuting, I had to get systematic/repeatable/dependable in my processes that relate to bicycling. My wife sometimes thinks I'm crazy, but the system has worked great for me.

Bicycle lighting is one area I adapted and adjusted to and now have a regular system and routine. I run two front lights (one blinking, one steady) and two red rear lights (one blinking, one steady) on every ride, day or night. One of the things that helped my wife accept me riding 6 miles in city traffic each way each day was committing to being very visible to motorists every time, and for me that includes 4 bike lights, lots of retroreflective tape on my bike and helmet, and shirts, jackets, and panniers that are bright yellow or orange with reflective elements when possible.

My two headlights are PDW Cosmic Dreadnaught 1-watt LEDs that use AA batteries. My taillights both use AAA batteries - a PDW Danger Zone on my seatpost set to steady mode, and a PDW Radbot 1000 on my rear rack set to zZzPOP flash. I like all of the lights, but the Radbot 1000 is the best of the bunch and the one I would most highly recommend.

To get truly systematic in dealing with these lights, I switched to rechargeable batteries and chargers and I record when I switch them in my day planner. Through experimentation, I found that with fresh batteries in all of the devices, the first ones to drain were the AAA's in the Radbot after three days commuting. So now I record when I change them, rotate two sets of rechargeable AA and AAAs, and never let them go beyond two days before changing. I keep one battery charger on my desk at work and one on my computer desk at home. This system may sound like OCD or overkill, but it is bulletproof, repeatable, and dependable for me. My 4 lights are full blast on every ride, guaranteed.

Like a previous post, I use and really like Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries. My battery chargers are both LaCrosse BC-700, which I really like. They can charge any mix of AA's and AAA's at changeable charge rates, and you can toggle the display and see what charge, voltage, etc, etc, each individual battery is taking.

This system requires an initial investment in batteries, chargers, and lights. But it is a big part in me finally cutting one car loose, and just the savings in car insurance for a few months from one less car covered can pay for the whole thing.

There are lots of good lights out there, find ones you like at your LBS or online. Like I mentioned, the Radbot 1000 is the best of my bunch. I also recommend the LaCrosse chargers and Eneloop batteries. Hopefully this admittedly long and verbose explanation of my system is helpful for those considering the subject. Here are some links to products I mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/PDW-LED-Cosmic...=pdw+headlight

https://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desig...bxgy_sg_text_y

https://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desig...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

https://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tech...acrosse+bc-700

https://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-...atteries+color

https://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-..._bxgy_e_text_y

Be seen by motorists, and ride safe!
Old 10-19-12, 11:38 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm guessing a SON hub would be pretty delux. What headlight do you use with it?

If I had to do a whole bunch of night riding, I might even get a rechargeable light with the dyno light. Although I've never actually needed a backup for any of my hub lights... they've been pretty reliable.
the lumotec iq fly.
Old 10-19-12, 04:05 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by busted knuckles
the lumotec iq fly.
That is the same light I use on my city bike. On that one the dyno hub is a Shimano 2.4 watt with roller brake. It is a DH-2R30 same one that WorkCycles uses on their Bakfiets.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-20-12, 09:48 AM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet mounted Cygolite Turbo Xtra which is 740 lumens. It's extremely bright and clearly defines the roadway no matter how dark it is. The flash mode is awesome because cars suddenly know I exist. I'd like to get another powerful light on the handlebars but don't have the funds for it now. Using three Cygolite hotshots, one rear mount to the helmet, one on the seatpost, and the other on the rack.
Old 10-22-12, 11:18 AM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
Helmet mounted Cygolite Turbo Xtra which is 740 lumens. It's extremely bright and clearly defines the roadway no matter how dark it is. The flash mode is awesome because cars suddenly know I exist. I'd like to get another powerful light on the handlebars but don't have the funds for it now. Using three Cygolite hotshots, one rear mount to the helmet, one on the seatpost, and the other on the rack.
It occurs to me that helmet-mounted lights would also be highly convenient for nighttime walks. If anyone asks you why why you're walking around wearing a lighted helmet, you can just tell them you're mining for coal.
Old 10-22-12, 11:37 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My primary lighting system is a dynohub (Schmidt) and LED head/tail light (Supernova E3). I leave them on always. I also have various battery powered lights which I use, mostly when commuting in the dark - Dinotte tail light and blinky lights.
Old 10-22-12, 06:47 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ganchan
It occurs to me that helmet-mounted lights would also be highly convenient for nighttime walks. If anyone asks you why why you're walking around wearing a lighted helmet, you can just tell them you're mining for coal.
I sometimes see people (mostly Asian Americans) crawling around in the grass with lights on their heads. I was told that they are looking for worms for fishing.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-23-12, 04:15 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by ganchan
Tell them that walking is a dangerous sport so you wear a helmet. IIRC the statistics may support this. Now about those crazy motorists...(who suffer the greatest chance of head injuries )

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-24-12, 07:17 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Seems like dyno lights are pretty popular on LCF. However, when you go to look for them -- even on the Internet -- they aren't that common. Most people are still buying battery lights.
Old 10-24-12, 05:48 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Seems like dyno lights are pretty popular on LCF. However, when you go to look for them -- even on the Internet -- they aren't that common. Most people are still buying battery lights.
Because that is what the freaking LBS'es carry. I have only seen them in ONE LBS out of all the ones I have been in, and that was Harris Cyclery in West Newton, MA. I suspect that the reason maybe cost and a very limited market. All of my lights have been ordered on line. Some from US stores, others from the NL or the UK. Ditto my tail lights with stand lights, which are EU code, rear flashers are a rarity over there and at one point were illegal. For some of my vintage bikes I have been using LED bulbs to convert the OEM lights to more modern lighting. On a couple I use the smaller PB LED lights as markers because the 1960's vintage lights leave a lot to be desired. Last round of head lights I ordered came from Dutch Bike Bits, shipping is steep, but he has the stuff I want.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-24-12, 11:45 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
As wahoo pointed out, it's because the LBS typically doesn't stock them. Why? Because the vast majority of their customer base doesn't want generator lights.

The sport/enthusiast roadies don't want the drag of the hub or the weight of the hub and most of the beam patterns aren't the ideal for off-road applications, so the mtb shuns them as well. Quite a few of the recreational riders rarely ride at night or do their best to avoid riding at night, so they don't want the expense. Down on their luck types can't afford them and the ones who are temporarily forced to give up their cars see no point in making that investment.

Broad generalizations I know, but that's the way I see it.
Old 10-25-12, 03:00 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From following various threads in other forums, seems like bicycle light is a contentious issue.

I'm guessing that trying to life without a full-time car and therefore needing to travel at night puts some extra requirements on lighting specs.

For example, I used to have a rechargable light (it was a pretty bright DIY job...), but if I needed to go somewhere while it was charging, I had to reach for another light.

Also I found that my bright light wasn't well focused and that a well designed bike-specific light, even though its output was less, seemed to work better.

For the last couple of years, I've been using dyno lights and find the effort of fixing up a new wheel is well worth the pain. They aren't as bright as rechargeables, but seem to me to be adequate.

What about you? What lights your way?
I use a USB-charged light: Urban 500 by Light & Motion. It's a very bright light, very well designed, easy to install and remove, and I like the fact that it's easily rechargeable, but, honestly, it's way more light than I need for urban riding. If you ride in a city at night, a $35 Cateye is totally adequate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.