Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Has living car free killed dating opportunities?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 01:04 PM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We live in a materialistic society.i have seen one couple in Las Vegas where I live that use a bike as transportation, they live in a nice highrise.I would think 99% of women would consider you a loser and not want anything to do with you without a car.
Old 11-07-12, 01:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I blame my bicycle for introducing me to my wife.
Old 11-07-12, 01:17 PM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really, I know there is a story there.
Old 11-07-12, 02:04 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Try to find or hang out places where you can meet like minded women. Bike
events, coop's/kitchens, bike discussion boards ,etc. Anyway cars are overrated

When I first met my wife I was driving a Honda Accord, she didn't know I already
have a Lexus ES300 and I was just trying to get rid of my Accord at the time.
Then we moved in together, after a while I realized I didn't really need my car
living in the NYC area and I could borrow her Honda Civic in those rare instances that
I needed to drive. So when my registration and insurance was up, I sold my Lexus. So
my wife married a guy who doesn't own a car for about 5 years now. But we both own
a house and have travelled around the world, so it can't be that bad.
Old 11-07-12, 03:24 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SPECELIZEDRIDER
We live in a materialistic society.i have seen one couple in Las Vegas where I live that use a bike as transportation, they live in a nice highrise.I would think 99% of women would consider you a loser and not want anything to do with you without a car.
I wouldn't go out with a woman who was so superficial that she judged me by whether or not I owned a car or by what make or model I drove. Anyone that shallow is a loser in my book. Fortunately, I suspect your 99 percent figure is way off.
Old 11-07-12, 03:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I wouldn't go out with a woman who was so superficial that she judged me by whether or not I owned a car or by what make or model I drove. Anyone that shallow is a loser in my book. Fortunatley, I suspect your 99 percent figure is way off.
That's all well and good but besides the judgemental factor is the convenience factor. If you can pick yer lady up and drive her around it makes things a LOT easier, ESPECIALLY in a place like Las Vegas
Old 11-07-12, 03:28 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
But we both own
a house and have travelled around the world, so it can't be that bad.
Could it still be good if you rented and never left your city?
Old 11-07-12, 03:37 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That's all well and good but besides the judgemental factor is the convenience factor. If you can pick yer lady up and drive her around it makes things a LOT easier, ESPECIALLY in a place like Las Vegas
I've been down this road before in the Forums, so I should know better, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Around where I used to date, a lady who would expect her date to provide transportation would've been considered a loser. You have a date, both persons get there by whatever means they find convenient.

I realise this is different elsewhere. Just providing my perspective, is all.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-07-12, 03:37 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
I would think 99% of women would consider you a loser and not want anything to do with you without a car.
See? Yet another way in which cycling saves you money!
Old 11-07-12, 03:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Juha
I've been down this road before in the Forums, so I should know better, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Around where I used to date, a lady who would expect her date to provide transportation would've been considered a loser. You have a date, both persons get there by whatever means they find convenient.

I realise this is different elsewhere. Just providing my perspective, is all.

--J
It's definitely different everywhere.

I can totally see this working in NYC, Boston, Portland, SF or Seattle.

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Salt Lake City? Much more difficult.

In Portland you probably have a chance with 33% of the ladies. In Phoenix, maybe .5%. Harsh odds.
Old 11-07-12, 03:55 PM
charbucks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think there is a certain element of what is or is not normal in your town.

When I was a student in Guelph, Ontario, not many students owned a car. Most of us got around by public transit, and when I look back on it I realize I should have biked way more. Either way, it didn't seem like car ownership had any impact on dating life in university. Then again, dating usually involved at least a few drinks, so we wouldn't be driving anyways

Now that I live in Calgary, cars/massive trucks are a lot more common among my peers. The only person that I know who is both single and car free is a girl, which somehow doesn't matter as much. However, I could see that in a car-centric city, being car free could well impact your dating capabilities.
Old 11-07-12, 04:10 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I met in 1999. We were both car-free. Several years later she bought a beater Camry which eventually became not worth fixing and was donated. We were car free when we got married (She proposed on a bike trip. I rode to the wedding on the rented Bakfiets I carried her home from the wedding in), and we had a car free honeymoon.

We were still car free when we bought our house, but eventually got a car when we found out our kid was coming along. We are both committed to remaining a single car household though.

There are a few compelling arguments to be made for car ownership, but impressing the ladies was never on the radar for me.
Old 11-07-12, 04:17 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Living car free definitely limits the distance you can conveniently travel to meet a potential date. Public transportation helps somewhat but you're still limited by operating times.

I live in San Jose which is very spread out and the public transportation system is slow. The people here are also more yuppie/conservative compared to the rest of the bay area. If I lived in SF, Berkeley or Oakland, I'd guess that living car free would probably have much less impact on dating potential than living in San Jose.

Last edited by frantik; 11-07-12 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 04:59 PM
iheartbacon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dunno, I've had some nice cars and it didn't seem to help with the ladies. What did seem to help was ready access to drugs, more drugs, yet more drugs, and alcohol. When I got clean I started dating a better class of ladies and found that they were, mostly, turned off by a loud muscle car. My beater Renault Alliance was actually more successful because you could talk to your date and listen to music while driving. Now I'm car free and only date Christian ladies from church and I find that they care more about what kind of man you are that what your material/financial situation is.

Having run the spectrum, from drugged out skanks to role models, I can tell you that based on my own personal experience the car doesn't matter much.
Old 11-07-12, 07:09 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I blame my bicycle for introducing me to my wife.
really, I know there is a story there.
There is. I know of at least 5 couples that have met here on BF and then eventually married, and there are a few couples that haven't tied the knot...yet. Most of them at one point or another participated in this thread- https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...sers-anonymous
Old 11-07-12, 07:54 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last woman I dated didn't care about my car-light lifestyle. She liked walking even more than I do.
Old 11-07-12, 08:04 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Natalie Portman was totally going to go out with me to like the movies or something. Then she read on my match dot com profile that I was all into bikes and stuff.
Old 11-07-12, 08:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

You probably woulda had a chance, I think she lives in NYC. She's in a committed relationship with a ballet dancer now, though. Missed your chance.

I do imagine noting "No Car" on a dating profile would be a red flag in suburban sprawl type of communities.

I dunno if they all have that line on their form but I know Plenty of Fish does.
Old 11-07-12, 08:45 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I do imagine noting "No Car" on a dating profile would be a red flag in suburban sprawl type of communities.
yep... in places like that, a lot of people assume if you have no car that you will be depending on them for rides. If you prove yourself to be self sufficient before they know you don't have a car, I think that helps.

But even without taking into consideration people's feelings towards those without cars, just the fact your traveling range is limited is going to have an impact. If there are lots of potential partners in your immediate vicinity, then that might not be a problem.
Old 11-07-12, 09:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
There is. I know of at least 5 couples that have met here on BF and then eventually married, and there are a few couples that haven't tied the knot...yet. Most of them at one point or another participated in this thread- https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...sers-anonymous
I had already met my wife when I started this support group... as my wife and I still live in different countries there are still quite a few dateless nights.

When we got married we rode to the ceremony, and afterwards took our first ride as husband and wife around the esplanade in Portland... although we now have a car we still ride most of the time and use the car for trips we would otherwise have top rent one for and it takes me to and from Portland.
Old 11-07-12, 09:01 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
It hasn't hindered me much. With the last guy I dated, I rode my bike 14 miles each way to see him. Now that I'm living in a city instead of a small town, it should be even easier for me to find a girl or guy. Being under 21 gets in the way far more.
Old 11-07-12, 09:28 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Dating is an expensive hobby. Get your finances back in order and then worry about dating.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-08-12, 09:47 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yea. I went car-free in the middle of my dating career...and during a transition period for me, from one professional career to another. So I got to see both sides of this issue.

There are many women who expect a certain level of accomplishment from someone my age (late 20s at the time). It's not unreasonable. One of the measures of that is your car. It's not necessarily a crass economic assessment...if you have a decent car, it means that generally you're able to get to work/school on time and apply yourself, which indicates a generally well-adjusted adult. Certainly this is a broad generalization and there are many exceptions, but it's working against you nonetheless.
Old 11-08-12, 10:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yep, for a great deal of american society car ownership is right there alongside of not living in your mom's basement and having all your teeth in the realm of qualities to look for in a guy. Sad but true.
Old 11-08-12, 11:59 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I will go into the field and report back, those are my fears as well but i have seen more and more people on bikes including a group of nice young ladies near Dodger Stadium once. Hey man if they aren't that open minded then you don't need um. It'll get even more interesting when i say i want to date irreligious woman.

Let's move to SF, Denver or Seattle TC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.