Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Got my first real fit yesterday - because of the KNEES !

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 09:48 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys - got my first real bike fit the other day. Sadly, I'd been dealing with knee pain (patellae tendonitis) in the right leg for well over a year and had been too cheap to pay for a fit - despite buying a new bike, pedals/cleats. The shop where I bought the bike said they would do a fit - but it was really just saddle height and forward/aft positioning. Not a fit... really.

I'd been to the regular doctor, a sports doctor, and physical therapy for tendonitis in the right knee. And the advice was the same, stretch, R.I.C.E yadda yadda. Co-pay's were adding up and it just seemed like an endless cycle of garbage.

Anyhow after yesterday, I'll never buy a bike without being fit on it first. It took 2 solid hours with the fitter, tons of riding on the trainer, and couldn't believe how much time he spent analyzing my feet and shoes.

Through the process, I found out the following (in the first ten minutes):

1) The arch in the right foot had collapsed
2) Right leg is about 2-3mm shorter than the left - functionally
3) My saddle was too high

So I think a wedge or shim was placed in the right cleat, my feet were analyzed, cleats were repositioned, he put a little more material under the soles of my shoes to help with fit, analyzed my pedal stroke a zillion times, and gave me a bunch of pointers on how to rebuild my arch/stretching/foam rolling, took plenty of video, would make all the measurements by eye, and then verify the accuracy with video/motion capture software.

Really a great experience. The cost was $150 (a steal compared to retul and BG fitting). By the time I'd left my pedaling felt great, knees were lined up perfectly, no strain on the right leg/knee at all and I felt much more confident riding longer distances with the new setup.

Anyhow, I asked the fitter about the knee pain and tendonitis related to riding and if it would go away. His response was "it may never come back after today, or it may take a few weeks to work itself out." Either way, he was confident that the arch and leg discrepancy were the problem, and that my knee would recover. He even said "keep riding" - despite the doctor saying to rest.

I'm really amazed at how ignorant doctors can be. Instead of looking at basic anatomical differences in your body, they just prescribe the same textbook advice over and over. Sadly, the doctors that I've visited have been sports doctors who cycle - they just don't take time too look at the basics. They just rub your knee, have you do a few stretches and claim a diagnosis, followed by months of expensive therapy. Instead, it takes a bike fitter with a background in cycling, and WAY less education to figure it all out in a couple minutes.

If you're considering a fit, dealing with pain, and can't get your setup right. I highly recommend taking the plunge and spending the extra $$. It took me over a year, but wish I'd done it sooner. If anyone lives in Central CA (coastal), I can recommend a great one. Rode 20 miles yesterday afterwards and the knee didn't twinge a bit (when before it would be screaming).
Old 08-05-13, 09:59 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did another 11 miles with the new fit. Knee pain gone. I rode hard too.