Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clean and lube disc-brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 06:42 AM
smurof

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

was a nice video.

But i wonder if i can use discbrake cleaner insted of degreaser?.. or will that damage the pistons.
I have never cleand the caliper this way. only with bikewash and water and draged a cloth through it. And some times discbrake cleaner.
(i use d.b.-cleaner regulary on pads and rotors)

And is any kind of degreaser ok? Like muc off?

And.. is teflon-oilspray ok?

And my normal web-shop is sold out on Park Tool SAC-2 and it seems to me like TF2 Lubricants Unisex Carbon Fibre Gripper Paste for Bikes, is much of the same.

Thanks for any tips and help.

sorry for poor english
Old 08-25-18, 09:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You talking about lubricating the internal parts of a mechanical disc brake caliper? which one?

nothing that leaves any residue should be used on the disc,
and nothing at all should be on the disc pads.

remove them first..

there may be a glazing from use on the friction material,
I use a sand paper for metal, to remove that glazing

with the flat surface of a table behind the abrasive paper..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-18 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 09:55 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I would only use disc brake cleaner on the rotors themselves. Even hough it's supposed to be fine for *automotive* caliper seals and whatnot, I wouldn't chance it on a bike.

I spray some on a rag and wipe the rotors. Oh, and only in a well-ventilated place!
Old 08-25-18, 04:37 PM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You talking about lubricating the internal parts of a mechanical disc brake caliper? which one?

nothing that leaves any residue should be used on the disc,
and nothing at all should be on the disc pads.

remove them first..

there may be a glazing from use on the friction material,
I use a sand paper for metal, to remove that glazing

with the flat surface of a table behind the abrasive paper..

I know how to clean the pads and rotor.... my question is about the pistons. The video show hydraulic brakes... like I have.
Old 08-25-18, 10:11 PM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
I would only use disc brake cleaner on the rotors themselves. Even hough it's supposed to be fine for *automotive* caliper seals and whatnot, I wouldn't chance it on a bike.

I spray some on a rag and wipe the rotors. Oh, and only in a well-ventilated place!
I do all my bike-fix on my balcony, so thats safe.

So d.b.cleaner inside the caliper is " no-good" ?
Old 08-25-18, 10:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by smurof
I know how to clean the pads and rotor.... my question is about the pistons. The video show hydraulic brakes... like I have.
He only reads the titles of threads and replies based on the first thing that pops into his head. He ignores the contents of the post. Best to put him on ignore.

Normally I clean the pistons with a dry paper towel. On a few occasions I will spray a little bit of WD-40 onto the paper towel (far away from the bike) and then do the same thing, mainly to remove residue that accumulates and causes the piston to stick or retract slowly.

The only thing I have cleaned pads with is sandpaper.

The only thing I have cleaned rotors with is isopropanol.
Old 08-25-18, 11:33 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
Most manufacturers service documents recommend isopropanol sometimes with the hydraulic fluid as lube. If you use hydraulic fluid do so very sparingly and clean afterwards with the pistobs retracted.
Old 08-26-18, 01:33 AM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Most manufacturers service documents recommend isopropanol sometimes with the hydraulic fluid as lube. If you use hydraulic fluid do so very sparingly and clean afterwards with the pistobs retracted.
But if i want to do it like the video.... is it ok to switch from park tool paste tf2 paste. Maybe i'm naive but I trust that video does not harm my brakes.
And is isopropanol and disc brake cleaner (like muc off) the same?
Old 08-26-18, 05:35 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I only clean rotors after i re-install wheel or did some other activity that made me touch the rotor or got it possibly contaminated. For example when i service my hubs I fiddle with grease hands and may contaminate the rotors. After such work i always clean them.
I use up an old can of brake cleaner, but will switch to mineral spirits once that is used up. No need to clean pads, also no use. Pads need to be replaced after contamination.
I don't think alcohol is suitable since it is polar (like water) and doesn't dissolve non-polar things like oil and grease.

Don't sweat it, cars have been driving on disc brakes exposed to saltwater etc. and no one is cleaning them. Bike rotors are more exposed, though. But motor bikes also work fine and I doubt Hell's angels spend a lot of time cleaning rotors.
Old 08-26-18, 12:45 PM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I only clean rotors after i re-install wheel or did some other activity that made me touch the rotor or got it possibly contaminated. For example when i service my hubs I fiddle with grease hands and may contaminate the rotors. After such work i always clean them.
I use up an old can of brake cleaner, but will switch to mineral spirits once that is used up. No need to clean pads, also no use. Pads need to be replaced after contamination.
I don't think alcohol is suitable since it is polar (like water) and doesn't dissolve non-polar things like oil and grease.

Don't sweat it, cars have been driving on disc brakes exposed to saltwater etc. and no one is cleaning them. Bike rotors are more exposed, though. But motor bikes also work fine and I doubt Hell's angels spend a lot of time cleaning rotors.
No need to clean pads?... so all the hint and tips I have seen/heard.. it's just a watse of time?.... I usualy take out the pads and clean them d.b. cleaner 2-4 times a month.... and the rag gets black.... so i feel there is a point

And discbrake cleaner is not sutibale for pads? hmmm.... again videos and tips say so....

Last edited by smurof; 08-26-18 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Ad more info
Old 08-26-18, 06:34 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by smurof
No need to clean pads?... so all the hint and tips I have seen/heard.. it's just a watse of time?.... I usualy take out the pads and clean them d.b. cleaner 2-4 times a month.... and the rag gets black.... so i feel there is a point

And discbrake cleaner is not sutibale for pads? hmmm.... again videos and tips say so....
Do you have a car? Do you do the same for those rotors and pads?

The cleaner won't hurt the pads, but if they are contaminated, you won't be able to wash the grease out. Some people sanded off the pads in the hope only the very upper layer is contaminated. Ultimately contaminated pads needs to be replaced.

I'm not sure if you are jesting, but do you frequently contaminate your pads and rotors? Maybe that needs to be resolved. you know squealing brakes are not cured by lubricating. but I'm sure there is a video of recommending exactly that.
Old 08-26-18, 11:01 PM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Do you have a car? Do you do the same for those rotors and pads?

The cleaner won't hurt the pads, but if they are contaminated, you won't be able to wash the grease out. Some people sanded off the pads in the hope only the very upper layer is contaminated. Ultimately contaminated pads needs to be replaced.

I'm not sure if you are jesting, but do you frequently contaminate your pads and rotors? Maybe that needs to be resolved. you know squealing brakes are not cured by lubricating. but I'm sure there is a video of recommending exactly that.
I dont have a car, and i dont touch the pads with dirty/fatty fingers.
And never use oil around the brake parts

I just like to maintain my bike with tips and hints that i see around

Last edited by smurof; 08-26-18 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Ad more info
Old 08-27-18, 07:46 AM
smurof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Case closed.