Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone found a good touch up match for Ultegra gray?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 05:55 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hey y'all,

I was wondering if anyone had found a good touch up paint or nail polish match for the ultegra 6800 gray? I've got some scuff on a crank I'd like to address.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-18, 06:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
i've had minimal use of others to ID paint matching, but what has helped was taking the bicycle to a place that mixes/matches auto paints. Usually it's 90% close in color & costs starts around 19.99 per spray can.
Old 09-23-18, 04:19 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
If you are looking to only touch up minor scratches, and not cover the entire component, I have found oil-based enamel model paint (Testors, Pactra, etc.) is probably the best resource. They have all types of metallic colors as well as gloss, satin, and matte paints. They are easy to mix to a close match.

My Bianchi bike is a semi-gloss or satin black. After some nasty scratches, I decided to make touch up paint. Initially I used 2 colors, flat black and glossy, but it was all too glossy. I then went to flat (matte) and satin and came very close, but it was too black. I added a drop of military modeling paint color called Panzer gray, and had a match.

I used the same technique (but different colors including one called steel gray) to touch up some gray components on another bike. The benefit is it is low cost and with a very decent, fine artists bruch you can actually fill only the scratches. If not heavily scratched, this works..
Old 09-24-18, 10:28 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
If you are looking to only touch up minor scratches, and not cover the entire component, I have found oil-based enamel model paint (Testors, Pactra, etc.) is probably the best resource. They have all types of metallic colors as well as gloss, satin, and matte paints. They are easy to mix to a close match.

My Bianchi bike is a semi-gloss or satin black. After some nasty scratches, I decided to make touch up paint. Initially I used 2 colors, flat black and glossy, but it was all too glossy. I then went to flat (matte) and satin and came very close, but it was too black. I added a drop of military modeling paint color called Panzer gray, and had a match.

I used the same technique (but different colors including one called steel gray) to touch up some gray components on another bike. The benefit is it is low cost and with a very decent, fine artists bruch you can actually fill only the scratches. If not heavily scratched, this works..
That's not the worst plan, actually. Means I have to find a hobby store, rather than an autozone or whatever. Thanks!
Old 09-24-18, 10:37 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Another advantage is since the enamal dries slower than the newer latex or acrylic paints, it can be wiped off if the match is not correct. If you have a Michaels or a Hobby Lobby, they also have the paint.
Old 09-24-18, 10:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Duct Tape?