Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

New Commute Orange to Norwalk - HELP!

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 04:02 PM
oldspeck

Bikes: 2013 Giant Advanced Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm commuting to Chapman University in Orange (in Orange County) from Mar Vista (near Venice). I can ride to Union Station and Metrolink right to Chapman, but need to figure a way home that is earlier than the 4:34 pm train. That is the only afternoon train back to Union Station.

One way may be to ride West to El Dorado Park then North on the San Gabriel River Bike Trail to the Norwalk Green Line which would take me to around LAX.

Only question is: how to get West to the San Gabriel River Trail? Ball looks like it may have a bike lane part of the way, but if anyone knows the best route from Chapman West, I'd really appreciate some beta.

Thanks - Jay
Old 09-08-17, 05:01 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Going west to the SGRT from Chapman University:

Starting on Walnut, go west. This turns into Orangewood as you go into Anaheim, but continue with it.

You will pass under 2 freeways, the 57 and the 5 (Santa Ana) and these underpasses will test you - generally the faster you go the better. Use lights even in daytime there.

At Magnolia, turn right and go North. Take it all the way to Ball (L). As you noted, this is an easy bike lane and will get you into Long Beach, where the name changes to Wardlow as you cross over the Coyote Creek and its bike path.

Two more miles and you can enter the North section of El Dorado park at the Fire Station (signal) on your right. As you continue west you will see the bike path going North from under Wardlow, so take it. You will always be North of Wardlow to get the trail. You may hear gun shots here as there is a Police Academy with a Shooting Range inside the park.

Hope you can find the rest of your way.
Old 09-09-17, 09:29 PM
oldspeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You

This is very helpful, thank you. Google for bikes mapped it this way as well, but Orangewood looked a little sketchy on the right side to me. I'll try this Monday and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thorough directions, much appreciated.

Jay
Old 09-09-17, 09:44 PM
oldspeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So basically there is no good option getting West of Anaheim. Ball has the Disney corridor insanity, presumably, *(though the Taft portion looks better) and so Orangewood is as good as it gets?
Old 09-13-17, 10:46 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Amtrak from ARTIC at Katella and 57 has 12:57, 2:08, and 3:36 to Union Station....and beer.
Old 09-18-17, 10:47 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Man, that's a crap commute no matter how you slice it. I'd take the bus as far west as I could, then ride. Orangewood doesn't appear to have any bike lanes until almost Euclid. Also, don't know what time it'll be, but you're heading west in the afternoon. Try not to ride into the sun with commuters, they can't see you!

Check the bus routes, figure out the closest straight through route that you don't have to transfer (saving time) and ride your bike to and from the stops on both ends. That's brutal. Let us know how it goes.