Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EverydayElk
Hi all,

Hate to post something like this in the midst of things of much higher gravity, but I'm pondering a couple routes for a quick overnight tour this weekend:

Elk Neck: https://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/md...27126255866916

or

Catoctin: https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...27119919155392

Any thoughts?
Map My Ride is not opening either of them for me.
Old 04-14-10, 11:37 AM
EverydayElk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nuts again. Let's try

Elk Neck: https://bit.ly/a3QwVm

Catoctin: https://bit.ly/bYtWWN
Old 04-14-10, 07:14 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harry, thanks. I pretended I was 25 again and read your post with no problems. There are a lot of pictures from the ride to Annapolis on the facebook page dedicated to the memory of Larry Bensky. This is WAY too close to home for many here to forget this!
Be safe.
Ellen
Old 04-14-10, 08:03 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Elk: Nice trip report and pictures. Seems you handled the hills with your fixie. Well done.
Your Elk Neck route, NR knows the area well so go with what he will say. I've ridden Rt 40. Often good with wide shoulders, traffic in places can be fast and abundant. The area above Susquehanna is pretty with less traffic. I don't remember the bridge crossing. I like the park itself. Nice views of the bay.

Barrys ride: does 8:00am sound like a good start time? I was trying to use google maps to add a few "Baltimore" route changes. I failed and couldn't save it. Try again tomorrow. I think I need to sign it to "my maps" first then create a route.
Old 04-14-10, 09:12 PM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I walked into Velocipede this evening and noticed Everyday Elk's single speed Falcon. Very nice meeting you Michael.
BTW the reason for my visit was to solidify a talk I'm giving on long distance riding. (Tuesday, May 4th)

And, the ride this weekend... I'm psyched. I can put together a route going somewhere else if the one I made seems lame.
I was thinking: start near Barry's place in Mt. Washington @ Starbucks and end at the Dizz. Abt. 40 miles long. Basically a west side Ellicott City route. Up into B'more from the south and straight up Charles to Falls rd and Druid Hill to the Dizz. Could stop at Fed Hill. Could stop at Charlies on this route.

Or we can do a diff ride out the east side to North point. I think doing any more than 20 miles within the city might get kinda tedious with stops, but what ever people want is cool with me.
Old 04-15-10, 05:07 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else having problems opening Michael's routes?
Old 04-15-10, 07:09 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Revised route: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=15&lci=bike

I made two changes, I wanted to catch the RR underpass near Reisterstown & Old Court and you can't get that close to Clipper Mill Rd and not take it, then I noticed Berry St and had to include that as well. (Barry Berry Ride?) I'm looking forward to the ride.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 04-15-10, 07:10 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I didn't, but here's the gpx files:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By9...YzhjZGYw&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By9...NDkyNTAw&hl=en
Old 04-15-10, 07:14 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
Revised route: I'm looking forward to the ride.
Nice. BTW that squiggly mess up in Pikesville between Park Hgts and Reisters is routing through Druid Ridge Cemetery. (spooky)
Old 04-15-10, 07:21 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Elk: Nice trip report and pictures. Seems you handled the hills with your fixie. Well done.
Your Elk Neck route, NR knows the area well so go with what he will say. I've ridden Rt 40. Often good with wide shoulders, traffic in places can be fast and abundant. The area above Susquehanna is pretty with less traffic. I don't remember the bridge crossing. I like the park itself. Nice views of the bay.

Barrys ride: does 8:00am sound like a good start time? I was trying to use google maps to add a few "Baltimore" route changes. I failed and couldn't save it. Try again tomorrow. I think I need to sign it to "my maps" first then create a route.
+1 on Elk and the hills

I could easily go as early as 7 if people want an earlier start but anytime after that is good.

Bob, you are near the max destinations on Google maps delete some redundant points to add more (that's what I did.)
. . /L
=()>()
Old 04-15-10, 07:29 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
Or we can do a diff ride out the east side to North point. I think doing any more than 20 miles within the city might get kinda tedious with stops, but what ever people want is cool with me.
If we want to consider a different route with little stops I would be up for heading up the NCR trail as there are some nice bars in York. (or maybe just up to New Freedom.) How long do people want to be out anyway?
. . /L
=()>()
Old 04-15-10, 07:41 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
must be home by midnight.
Old 04-15-10, 08:20 AM
balto charlie

And, the ride this weekend... I'm psyched. I can put together a route going somewhere else if the one I made seems lame.
I was thinking: start near Barry's place in Mt. Washington @ Starbucks and end at the Dizz. Abt. 40 miles long. Basically a west side Ellicott City route. Up into B'more from the south and straight up Charles to Falls rd and Druid Hill to the Dizz. Could stop at Fed Hill. Could stop at Charlies on this route.
It's all good with me. I was thinking Barry might want to visit a few of the local sites but seems he's good with it.

Nope. His Elkneck ride goes N on Rt 40, crosses the Susq, then up and over to the park.

If we want to consider a different route with little stops I would be up for heading up the NCR trail as there are some nice bars in York. (or maybe just up to New Freedom.) How long do people want to be out anyway?
This route is also fine with me. No curfew for me. I do need to be back sometime Monday to work and cut the grass;-)
You and GB hammer out the route. 7 is fine for a start time. Can't speak for others tho'
Old 04-15-10, 08:40 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nuts again. Let's try

Elk Neck: https://bit.ly/a3QwVm

Catoctin: https://bit.ly/bYtWWN
Oh yeah. Riding across the Hatem bridge over the Susq. (Route 40) is not allowed. and of course neither is I95. So, you've got to do the "conowingo detour" This will add 15-20 miles.

NR is the expert in this area. He'll school you.
Old 04-15-10, 08:46 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah. Riding across the Hatem bridge over the Susq. (Route 40) is not allowed. and of course neither is I95. So, you've got to do the "conowingo detour" This will add 15-20 miles.

also, I would avoid rt.40 until you get out to Essex.
Old 04-15-10, 09:36 AM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just let me know when and what you decide on. Just found my front tire flat. So back on Monday and now front. All that south Bmore riding I suppose.
Old 04-15-10, 09:49 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we want to consider a different route with little stops I would be up for heading up the NCR trail as there are some nice bars in York. (or maybe just up to New Freedom.)
Funny, I was just thinking this morning that I might want to do an NCR Trail ride this weekend. I don't think I've been on it since my bike camping jaunt to Gifford Pinchot State Park last year.

How long do people want to be out anyway?
Mom says I gotta be back before the streetlights come on.
Old 04-15-10, 09:59 AM
EverydayElk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is Gifford Pinchot?
Old 04-15-10, 10:18 AM
maxine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is Gifford Pinchot?
From what I was able to see, it was very nice. My plans got a bit disrupted right from the start -- I was supposed to ride up on Friday, spend the day at the park Saturday just relaxing, swimming in the lake, maybe renting a kayak, and then ride home Sunday. But there was a high-percentage threat of strong thunderstorms that Friday, so I held off and went on Saturday instead. I didn't end up getting there until nearly 3:00, and it took waaaaay longer than my usual 10 minutes to pitch my tent (due to the campsite being composed of NOTHING but driveway gravel! I had to scoop away a big enough spot, using my feet, for my tent.)

So I was pretty wrung out by the time all that was over with, and I just hung out by the lake for a bit (my campsite was right next to the swimming area), went to bed, and went home the next day.

My campsite was the only one in the immediate area that was like that -- the others had dirt/grass sections, along with asphalt spots for cars. I made a note of the site numbers in case I decide to go back again.
Old 04-15-10, 10:45 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I -hate- MapMyRide! Why won't these darned maps open... ok, I'll check the ones GB republished in Google maps.
Old 04-15-10, 10:59 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by HC203
Just let me know when and what you decide on. Just found my front tire flat. So back on Monday and now front. All that south Bmore riding I suppose.
Hope you can make the ride. We are going Sunday morning early.

Originally Posted by maxine
From what I was able to see, it was very nice. My plans got a bit disrupted right from the start -- (due to the campsite being composed of NOTHING but driveway gravel! I had to scoop away a big enough spot, using my feet, for my tent.)

My campsite was the only one in the immediate area that was like that -- the others had dirt/grass sections, along with asphalt spots for cars. I made a note of the site numbers in case I decide to go back again.
How ironic, the car camper sleeps on the gravel intended for cars and car campers sleep on the grass.
Old 04-15-10, 11:01 AM
balto charlie

I -hate- MapMyRide! Why won't these darned maps open... ok, I'll check the ones GB republished in Google maps.
Apparently it hates you as well because everything Elk has posted works fine on my home and work computers.
Old 04-15-10, 11:06 AM
balto charlie

I was just on BBC's new site(I'm a card carrying BBC guy these days). There seems to be some issues about someone going down in a group ride. What I don't understand is why the fight? Is one guy blaming the lead rider for not stopping and moving a rock(apparently the rock size is very crucial) or is he blaming the leader for not pointing it out????
Seems in a fast(this was a 17+ ride??) sh1t happens and folks go down. If the leader slows suddenly this will cause a bigger crash than passing the rock. Pointing at obstacles only works if everyone is tuned in to his hand signals. Thus I don't ride tooo close to others wheels.
Old 04-15-10, 11:10 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Did you try ridewithgps.com? I've heard good things about it lately, but did not use as I usually keep to the areas I know.

EDIT: Oops! Brain fade on my part, I thought you were trying to upload your own maps. Sorry.
Old 04-15-10, 11:47 AM
maxine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
How ironic, the car camper sleeps on the gravel intended for cars and car campers sleep on the grass.
I know, crazy, right? When I first got to the site and looked around, I actually rode back to the park office to vent about it. (And I am normally the *most* nonconfrontational, roll-with-it, laid-back person when it comes to minor-to-medium details not working out as planned.) I asked the ranger to confirm that the site was in the "tent-only" section (no RVs/campers), which she did, whereupon I asked who in their right mind would think that anybody would want to pitch a tent and sleep on top of that stuff?

I was seriously dumbfounded by the whole thing. I can't recall if I ever posted them here, but included in the trip pictures I put on my Facebook page was one showing a close-up of a random handful of the gravel pieces, next to my cell phone and glasses for perspective. They were HUGE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.