Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My Tour Divide Build

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My Tour Divide Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:08 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
My Tour Divide Build

And so it begins.

Just picked this up today. The frame and fork is sitting on a pair of of Rabbit Hole rims in it.

I have a set of wheels being made right now. RaceFace ARC40's with DTSwiss DT350 hubs.
Old 05-04-17, 02:21 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Interested in seeing it all built up.
Old 05-04-17, 02:26 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Good start. This is all going to be done by when?
Old 05-04-17, 02:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Is it an ECR?
Old 05-04-17, 03:43 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by skookum
Good start. This is all going to be done by when?
By mid-summer I hope. Depends on my whims, really, and my whims determine how I spend my free cash. Truthfully, I have my boat up for sale, and if/when that sells I'll have a bunch of cash burning a hole in my pocket. Chris King BB and headset!

Old 05-04-17, 03:43 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by tyrion
Is it an ECR?
Aye, Captain!
Old 05-04-17, 04:19 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Cool!

BTW: Did you ever get that LHT out on tour?
Old 05-04-17, 04:33 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Cool!

Here we go!

(I love it)

-Snuts-
Old 05-04-17, 04:55 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excited to see the build. Have you spec'd it out completely or just seeing how it goes?
Old 05-05-17, 03:54 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by BigAura
Cool!

I put some miles on it, but never toured with it. I've got a Specialized Roubaix that I'm riding a lot right now, and will probably do some weekend tours this summer with it, and of course the ECR when its completed.

As a sidebar, I went to bed last night with no Craigslist hits on my boat, and woke up this morning with twelve. One of them is right in town and says that he will take it. Looks like Chris King BB for sure!
Old 05-05-17, 04:34 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by rickyk76
Excited to see the build. Have you spec'd it out completely or just seeing how it goes?
Pretty much spec'c it. The wheels and tires where the toughest decision for me. The frame came with Surly Rabbit Hole rims, but I'm leery of them not being as tough as they should be for the Divide. I also don't want the rim cutouts, so I chose a rim without them. After studying and conferring with Mike Curiak of lacemine29.com, I chose some RaceFace ARC40 rims. Formally branded Easton, these rims are tough as nails. The DT350 hubs are widely regarded as best bang for the buck as far as high quality hubs go. I was going to go with White Industries hubs, but after studying the stats associated with each, and the recommendations of others, I chose the DT350's. He's building the wheels for me, by the way.

- Going with a SRAM X1 GPX 1400 crank, with a 32T Wolf Tooth stainless ring, direct-mount.

- Shimano XT 11-46 cassette.

- Jones H-Bar, of course!

- I'm considering an SQlabs saddle. I love my Brooks on other bikes, but recently I am finding that flatter saddles just seem to work for me. Does this mean I'm becoming more fit or something?

- Brakes. I'm still deciding between the Paul Klampers w/ Love Levers, BB7's, and going hydro with Shimano SLX 675 brakes. Your thoughts on this would be most appreciated!

- Tires will be the Bontrager Chupacabra. Now I've always considered Bontrager stuff to be mediocre, but from all the reading I've done, the Bonty's are highly-regarded as being the numero uno choice for most 29+ riders. They'll be installed tubeless of course.

I think that's it. Your thoughts?
Old 05-05-17, 04:49 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
21.34 gear inches.
What is your LHT at?

-Snuts-
Old 05-05-17, 05:08 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Snuts
21.34 gear inches.
What is your LHT at?

-Snuts-
Not sure, and I'm ashamed to admit that I do not know how to calculate it. Do you have a reference for me to study it, Snuts? I probably should get on that, but its just one of those things that I never got around to forcing myself to learn how to figure it.
Old 05-05-17, 05:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Plenty of gear inch calculators on the Internets, including one from Sheldon Brown.
Old 05-05-17, 05:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Okay, I did the calculations and the LHT has 20.70 for a low. That's a difference of 0.64 - do you guys think that makes much of a difference? @Snuts - did you also figure in the wheel/tire size when you calculated?
Old 05-05-17, 06:06 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Okay, I did the calculations and the LHT has 20.70 for a low. That's a difference of 0.64 - do you guys think that makes much of a difference? @Snuts - did you also figure in the wheel/tire size when you calculated?
I used 29r X 3
What tire size are you intending to use?

As a reference, I'm touring on 19.4. I'm happy at that on the hills. But last year was say 23GI. That bike will get massaged this fall when I get to it.

-Snuts-
Old 05-05-17, 06:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
You have to factor in wheel+tire size to calculate gear inches.
Old 05-05-17, 06:10 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You have to factor in wheel+tire size to calculate gear inches.
Which I did.
Granted I was making an assumption.
Interest was in his gear selection.

-Snuts-
Old 05-05-17, 06:14 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Snuts
I used 29r X 3
What tire size are you intending to use?

As a reference, I'm touring on 19.4. I'm happy at that on the hills. But last year was say 23GI. That bike will get massaged this fall when I get to it.

-Snuts-
I'll be using the 29x3.

I'll stick with the 21.34 for now. The 1x11 drivetrain may be more suited for dirtbombers than a pokey old guy like me, but I'll try it and if I don't like it, well I guess then I'll just spend more $$ and get what I want and take The Missus to McD's instead of the steakhouse.
Old 05-05-17, 07:10 AM
rickyk76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much spec'c it. The wheels and tires where the toughest decision for me. The frame came with Surly Rabbit Hole rims, but I'm leery of them not being as tough as they should be for the Divide. I also don't want the rim cutouts, so I chose a rim without them. After studying and conferring with Mike Curiak of lacemine29.com, I chose some RaceFace ARC40 rims. Formally branded Easton, these rims are tough as nails. The DT350 hubs are widely regarded as best bang for the buck as far as high quality hubs go. I was going to go with White Industries hubs, but after studying the stats associated with each, and the recommendations of others, I chose the DT350's. He's building the wheels for me, by the way.

- Going with a SRAM X1 GPX 1400 crank, with a 32T Wolf Tooth stainless ring, direct-mount.

- Shimano XT 11-46 cassette.

- Jones H-Bar, of course!

- I'm considering an SQlabs saddle. I love my Brooks on other bikes, but recently I am finding that flatter saddles just seem to work for me. Does this mean I'm becoming more fit or something?

- Brakes. I'm still deciding between the Paul Klampers w/ Love Levers, BB7's, and going hydro with Shimano SLX 675 brakes. Your thoughts on this would be most appreciated!

- Tires will be the Bontrager Chupacabra. Now I've always considered Bontrager stuff to be mediocre, but from all the reading I've done, the Bonty's are highly-regarded as being the numero uno choice for most 29+ riders. They'll be installed tubeless of course.

I think that's it. Your thoughts?
I'm spec'ing out a bike that I'd love to use for the Divide someday (goal is for my 45th birthday).

I think I'm going with American Classic wheels. The rear on an American Classic hub, the front on a dynamo. I'm going 27.5 though. Tires will most likely be Maxxis Ikon. Tubeless of course.

I'm leaning towards BB7 brakes for me, because I want disc, but I'm not the greatest at bike repair (yet, which is part of why I want to build my own: to improve my mech skills), so I'm thinking I'll stay mechanical instead of hydraulic.

I'm doing a drop bar set up with Shimano STI (probably 105, maybe Ultegra) on a 2x10 Shimano XT 40/28t with 11-36 cassette.

At least that's what it looks like today. Who knows what it will look like when I actually start buying the parts.

Can't wait to see the progress of your build. Keep us posted.
Old 05-05-17, 07:25 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Hey, @rickyk76 what are you thinking of using for a frame? Also, I want to give encouragement and praise for you attempting to gain some bike-wrenching skills. I've been wrenching on bikes ever since I was about six years old, when I took the training wheels off my bike all by myself. Bike mechanic in a Raleigh shop was my first summer job at the ripe old age of 13 (1972?) During the 20 years I spent in the USAF, I worked some PT LBS gigs. Its been rewarding.

Study! YouTube is awesome. Park Tool has all their videos posted up in there, and they are simple and to the point. No BS music. No posturing from guys who think they are the next YouTube sensation. To back that up, I subscribe to RJ The Bike Guy's channel. Again, he's a great person to learn from. Simple and direct, and he speaks well.

Tools! Amazon is probably the best place to buy tools. I like Park Tools, but Pedros is good too. As far as expense - well, buy-once-cry-once I always say. You can spread it out also. Buy a pedal wrench this week and a chain tool next week, and before long you'll have all you need.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-17, 07:55 AM
rickyk76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, @rickyk76 what are you thinking of using for a frame? Also, I want to give encouragement and praise for you attempting to gain some bike-wrenching skills. I've been wrenching on bikes ever since I was about six years old, when I took the training wheels off my bike all by myself. Bike mechanic in a Raleigh shop was my first summer job at the ripe old age of 13 (1972?) During the 20 years I spent in the USAF, I worked some PT LBS gigs. Its been rewarding.

Study! YouTube is awesome. Park Tool has all their videos posted up in there, and they are simple and to the point. No BS music. No posturing from guys who think they are the next YouTube sensation. To back that up, I subscribe to RJ The Bike Guy's channel. Again, he's a great person to learn from. Simple and direct, and he speaks well.

Tools! Amazon is probably the best place to buy tools. I like Park Tools, but Pedros is good too. As far as expense - well, buy-once-cry-once I always say. You can spread it out also. Buy a pedal wrench this week and a chain tool next week, and before long you'll have all you need.

Good luck!
Frame is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards a Crust Evasion. Soma and Black Mountain are also in consideration.

I've been watching tons of videos and I'm mechanically inclined enough to manage it, I think. lol

And I'll be buying plenty of tools I'm sure. I'll spread it out. I'm going to be buying frame and parts sparingly as I have extra spending money from the allowance I give myself for my hobbies.
Old 05-05-17, 09:02 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by rickyk76
Frame is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards a Crust Evasion. Soma and Black Mountain are also in consideration.

I've been watching tons of videos and I'm mechanically inclined enough to manage it, I think. lol

And I'll be buying plenty of tools I'm sure. I'll spread it out. I'm going to be buying frame and parts sparingly as I have extra spending money from the allowance I give myself for my hobbies.
I like the Crust. Pauly Shore can truly call you a Crusty Weasel if you get one.
Old 05-05-17, 10:00 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The difference between a dream, and a goal is simply a date.

Have you a date?

-Snuts-
Old 05-05-17, 11:43 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I put some miles on it, but never toured with it. I've got a Specialized Roubaix that I'm riding a lot right now, and will probably do some weekend tours this summer with it, and of course the ECR when its completed.
Sounds good. But just a reminder ---> It's not a touring-bike until it's been on a tour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.