Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth Earpiece and Audiobooks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bluetooth Earpiece and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 07:39 AM
jamesdelap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blanbrineson
if you want to ride and jam buy a nice blue tooth speaker and put it in a satchel or soemthing dont put head phones on yo uare going to die.
I know right. I have been killed 5x as often when riding with headphones as without but bless you for encouraging people to use bluetoooth speakers to broadcast their personal stereos. The world certainly certainly needs more of that.
Old 05-03-17, 07:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
how about instead of mocking someone that wants people to be safe you read an article ?

Should you cycle with earphones in? - Cycling Weekly
Did YOU read the article you cited?

Extract from that article:

"But despite this increased pressure to limit headphone use, most research has actually found that, contrary to popular opinion, listening to music while cycling might not be as detrimental to your health and safety as some groups would have us believe.

A study by Dr Katrina Jungnickel and Dr Rachel Aldred found the use of music and headphones actually helped create a ‘sensory strategy’ that enabled the cyclist to cope with riding in a dangerous environment by effectively calming the overload of sensory data.

The research was conducted on urban cyclists and showed that they were just as aware of their surroundings, if not more so, than other transport users and engage in sensory strategies that manage their exposure to risk.

Just as drivers use the radio to create a safe, social and comfortable space on the road, it is possible to interpret cyclists’ sensory strategies as ways of negotiating and taming challenging environments.

Outside of the chaotic urban environment, music may also play a major part in increasing your fitness when incorporated into training. It can boost your ability to ride harder, faster and with more enjoyment.

According to Dr Costas Karageorghis of Brunel University, one of the world’s foremost experts in sport psychology, music is effectively a legal performance-enhancing drug.

Listening to your favourite artists can increase your endurance by up to 15 per cent while lowering your perception of effort.

It can trick your mind into feeling less tired during a workout, and also help to encourage positive thoughts.

While listening to music will no doubt mask some outside noises, an Australian study found that a cyclist wearing ear-bud style headphones and playing music at a reasonable volume hears much more outside noise than a car driver — even when that driver has no music playing.

So evidence suggests it is possible to cycle safely with headphones, once the cyclist is sure they are still aware of their surroundings."
Old 05-03-17, 07:54 AM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
if you want to ride and jam buy a nice blue tooth speaker and put it in a satchel or soemthing dont put head phones on yo uare going to die.
Please do not do this unless no one else is on the trail with you. I see this on the MUP and it is extremely annoying to have to listen to someone elses music when all I want is a nice quiet ride.
Old 05-03-17, 07:58 AM
Blanbrineson

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i read it i posted it you left out a very important study stat "Studies conducted by Brunel University also implied that users were up to 10 per cent less responsive to potential risks.
Read more at Should you cycle with earphones in? - Cycling Weekly "

Ten percent less! thats ten percent more death on the roads!
Old 05-03-17, 07:58 AM
Blanbrineson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF I Gave you a jar full of MMs and said ten percent were poison would you eat one**********
Old 05-03-17, 08:03 AM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, but this isn't a thread about the safety issue of listening to sound through headphones, earphones, earbuds, whatever. PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING OTHER THAN A RESPONSE TO MY INITIAL POST. Save the safety debate for some other cycling/earphone/safety thread, of which there are plenty (or start a new thread).

Thanks in advance . . .
Old 05-03-17, 08:05 AM
Blanbrineson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fair enought, i would also read this article to make sure the BLUE TOOTH headphones you get wont give you cancer

"https://www.electricsense.com/1010/bluetooth-what-you-will-learn-nowhere-else-%E2%80%93-is-it-really-dangerous/"
Old 05-03-17, 08:12 AM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blanbrineson
fair enought, i would also read this article to make sure the blue tooth headphones you get wont give you cancer
... Please do not post anything other than a response to my initial post

Last edited by rfield54; 05-03-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 08:15 AM
Blanbrineson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfield54
Has anyone had any luck with a mono bluetooth earpiece which allows listening to audiobooks from a cell phone? I say mono because I want to keep my left ear open (also, one doesn't need stereo for audiobook listening).
Fair enought.. OP i have not had any luck because all teh bluetooth headphones that would not give me cancer do not have a very good sound quality. hth

god bless
Old 05-03-17, 08:46 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The GoNovate G11 seems just about perfect for what you are looking for.
Old 05-03-17, 09:08 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Also, exposure to Bluetooth makes carbon fiber 10x more likely to assplode while riding.

I usually wear one earpiece if i'm running or riding for training. As in Post #27, it does help decrease perceived effort, and elapsed time, and 'Sally,' my training-bot can call out intervals or pace notes without broadcasting to everyone around (usually no one anyway)

I have the 'earhook' on mine, so that the driver doesn't have to be sealed tight; adjust the volume loud enough to hear, but not to drown everything else out.

I almost always run with one in, sometimes both if I'm on trail, or somewhere I know will be very-low traffic.
If i'm going to be on and off the bike a lot, I usually don't bother, since it's one more thing to futz with, and never on group rides.
Old 05-03-17, 09:09 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rfield54
Thanks for all the replies, but this isn't a thread about the safety issue of listening to sound through headphones, earphones, earbuds, whatever. PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING OTHER THAN A RESPONSE TO MY INITIAL POST. Save the safety debate for some other cycling/earphone/safety thread, of which there are plenty (or start a new thread).

Thanks in advance . . .
Welcome to the internetz. You must be new here...

I love the Aftershockz products. I have owned one of all three generations and find the Titanium to be the best of the line. They stand behind the product and shipped me a new one when mine recently stopped charging properly, just weeks before the 2 year warranty ran out

They used to have wired versions that were separate but they don't seem to make them anymore.
Old 05-03-17, 11:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I started getting route boredom on my morning rides, I decided I wanted to listen to old CBS Radio Mystery Theater programs while I ride to help pass the time. I didn't want to use earphones, though. I dug a speaker out of my electronic parts and decided to mount it to my handlebars. The speaker didn't have much volume when connected to my phone, but I built a simple audio amplifier circuit into the speaker and now it's plenty loud. So now I can listen to programs while riding, and as long as I don't have too much wind in my ears I can hear it OK.
Old 05-03-17, 11:06 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Also, exposure to Bluetooth makes carbon fiber 10x more likely to assplode while riding.
That's just an urban myth. It will, however, make carbon fiber spontaneously combust.
Old 05-03-17, 11:44 AM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The GoNovate G11 seems just about perfect for what you are looking for.
Thanks, I'll check it out...can't really beat the price.
Old 05-05-17, 02:53 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0335.jpg (98.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-19-17, 07:41 AM
Derrick_Adams

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can play Audible on your phone via the official Audible manager, then stream the Audible books to your headphone via Bluetooth. Another alternative solution is to convert AA/AAX files to common files such as MP3 by TunesKit Audible Converter, then you will be able to play Audible files freely. You can search the tool online.
Old 11-19-17, 10:31 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Plantronics Voyager Legend. Listen to Podcasts, music, audiobooks, etc, via iPhone. Also make and receive calls by voice command. 7 hours run time per charge. Occupies only one ear so I have less chance of suffering a horribly tragic death. Works for me.

-Kedosto