Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultra-ultra light credit card tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 08:17 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know, I said "ultra" twice. Maybe minimalist is a better word.

So I'll start off by saying, I like the idea of bike touring, though I haven't really done any long tours. But I'll also say that I don't like logistics very much and I don't like riding with much weight on my bike. I don't even like commuting with a back pack but after trying various frame bags and panniers on my winter beater, I found out I'd rather have the weight on me than my bike. I also prefer riding my light crabon race bike, even on 8+ hr rides.

That being said... I'm thinking about planning some 2 - 3 day tours (that probably doesn't even qualify as a tour to some of you) this summer. 80 to 100 miles / day probably. I'll be staying at Air bnbs or cheap motels and buying most of my food along the way. It will mean one kit, and probably washing it in the shower. I'll also need a slightly bigger saddle bag, one that can hold a pair of Vibram Five Fingers, t shirt, running shorts, pump, tube, patch kit, fiber fix spoke, multi tool, travel size toothpaste and toothbrush. So, three questions I guess.

1) Can any more experienced tourers recommend what size saddle bag I'd need, and maybe even a specific bag?
2) Have any of you done anything like this before?
3) Anything I haven't thought of, or I might want to reconsider?

I'm a fairly experienced cyclist, having ridden several 300ks, more centuries (supported and otherwise) than I can remember, handful of crits, road races, xc mountain bike races. And I'm a pretty competent mechanic, so I think something like this is well within my ability. But I've been wrong before.
Old 05-17-17, 08:26 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In no way are you wrong.
This sounds like a great idea, enjoy yourself (Do-it!).

-Snuts-
Old 05-17-17, 08:42 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'd go with a bikepacking bag. Lots of options for the bars, frame or saddle. Revelate Designs makes good gear, but many other companies jumping into the market.
Old 05-17-17, 08:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Yep. Carbon bike doing what you want sounds like a seat post bag and perhaps a smaller traditional handle bar bag.

If you had/wanted a rack then you could use either a drybag mounted on top (I do this) or a smaller carradice type bag. You could also add the HB bag if you want.

Old 05-17-17, 09:28 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
In no way are you wrong.
This sounds like a great idea, enjoy yourself (Do-it!).

-Snuts-
Thanks for the encouragement! I've been thinking about it for over a year, I just need to do it!

Originally Posted by alan s
I'd go with a bikepacking bag. Lots of options for the bars, frame or saddle. Revelate Designs makes good gear, but many other companies jumping into the market.
Thanks for the name, I'll look into them.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yep. Carbon bike doing what you want sounds like a seat post bag and perhaps a smaller traditional handle bar bag.

If you had/wanted a rack then you could use either a drybag mounted on top (I do this) or a smaller carradice type bag. You could also add the HB bag if you want.
If you were to choose between a small handlebar bag and a bento box (assuming it were big enough for what you needed) which would you chose and why? Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-17-17, 10:03 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
If you were to choose between a small handlebar bag and a bento box (assuming it were big enough for what you needed) which would you chose and why? Thanks for the reply.
The bigger bikepacking top tube bags (bento boxes) get in the way when I stand while climbing. They don't hold much either. I'd just go with a bikepacking saddle bag, like the Revelate Pika. It'll easily hold everything you plan to carry. Your jersey pockets can hold the rest.
Old 05-17-17, 10:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I do not do the type of touring you are planning, but one option you might want to consider is a rear rack that clamps onto the seatpost and a racktop bag on that. I often use a bag like that on my foldup bike. Then if I go in a store or restaurant, I can just disconnect the clamp on the seatpost and attach the shoulder strap. If you have a carbon seatpost, you likely would need an Aluminum post instead. But I never wear a backpack on a bike, so I might be thinking more volume and weight capacity than you want to do.
Old 05-17-17, 10:18 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mose, I suppose because it's hot and humid where I live, I'm not one to use a back pack.

I did some tests last year using my roadie for light touring. I found that a handle bar bag arrangement worked well without any consequences up to about 10 lb. 20 lb. was the most I tested and that required a short adaptation period, still quite do-able. I also used a seperate seat bag for repair kit.

Brad
Old 05-17-17, 10:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Sounds fun! I did a 3 day weekend in my racing days a little like what you are planning. Got a ride with my bike from a club mate from Cambridge, MA to Bethel, ME, raced a 2 day, 3 event stage race finishing with a 60 road race Sunday morning. Rode with a competitor that afternoon 50 miles to N. Conway NH and we got a motel room. Next day we did 160 miles back to Cambridge. My friend rode back to his home in Amherst the next day.

I went with my bike and clothes plus gear that all fit into a small Cannondale backpack (this was when Cannondale only made bags) and my jersey pockets. The ride to N. Conway and back was not planned, just something we thought up after the race. And it was a blast. But Monday was a long!! day. (Saturday, we started fresh with a 25 mile criterium that was for this slow twitch guy, the hardest 25 miles he ever rode. All to get the magic letters next to his name - s.t., same time. That afternoon was a 5 mile time trial with a 1/2 mile, steep hill. In all, three days of real riding.)

And last - the real question: regarding that ultra-ultra light credit card. My run-of-the-mill VISA weighs 4.5 grams. What does the ultra-ultra weigh?

Ben
Old 05-17-17, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18400 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And last - the real question: regarding that ultra-ultra light credit card. My run-of-the-mill VISA weighs 4.5 grams. What does the ultra-ultra weigh?
Dunno, but this one is made with carbon fiber:

https://blog.carbonfibergear.com/loo...-carbon-fiber/

I hear it asplodes when you reach your credit limit.
Old 05-17-17, 11:51 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
The bigger bikepacking top tube bags (bento boxes) get in the way when I stand while climbing. They don't hold much either. I'd just go with a bikepacking saddle bag, like the Revelate Pika. It'll easily hold everything you plan to carry. Your jersey pockets can hold the rest.
Thanks for that link! I like that that bag rolls up to whatever volume you're actually using. This might very well be the way I go.
Old 05-17-17, 11:57 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Mose, I suppose because it's hot and humid where I live, I'm not one to use a back pack.

I did some tests last year using my roadie for light touring. I found that a handle bar bag arrangement worked well without any consequences up to about 10 lb. 20 lb. was the most I tested and that required a short adaptation period, still quite do-able. I also used a seperate seat bag for repair kit.

Brad
I hear you. It's not TX up here, but it can get pretty miserable in the height of the summer, esp. with humidity. Esp. since I'm not really a hot weather person to begin with. I can't even really mountain bike between the months of April and September because I don't get enough convective cooling.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Sounds fun! I did a 3 day weekend in my racing days a little like what you are planning. Got a ride with my bike from a club mate from Cambridge, MA to Bethel, ME, raced a 2 day, 3 event stage race finishing with a 60 road race Sunday morning. Rode with a competitor that afternoon 50 miles to N. Conway NH and we got a motel room. Next day we did 160 miles back to Cambridge. My friend rode back to his home in Amherst the next day.

I went with my bike and clothes plus gear that all fit into a small Cannondale backpack (this was when Cannondale only made bags) and my jersey pockets. The ride to N. Conway and back was not planned, just something we thought up after the race. And it was a blast. But Monday was a long!! day. (Saturday, we started fresh with a 25 mile criterium that was for this slow twitch guy, the hardest 25 miles he ever rode. All to get the magic letters next to his name - s.t., same time. That afternoon was a 5 mile time trial with a 1/2 mile, steep hill. In all, three days of real riding.)

Ben
Yes, that sounds awesome, exactly the kind of thing I'd like. I'm psyched because I just bought an edge 820 (upgrade from a 500) so it'll be the first time I can navigate turn by turn without having an ungainly cue sheet or map clipped to my bars.

If you wanted to go nuts, you know, get a chip card and cut it in half. You don't need that whole stupid mag strip anyway. That's ultra-ultra light.
Old 05-17-17, 12:01 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Thanks for that link! I like that that bag rolls up to whatever volume you're actually using. This might very well be the way I go.
Also might want to consider the Revelate Terrapin. The waterproof bag comes off, but the holster remains on the bike, eliminating the need to remove everything if you want to take the bag off the bike. I use the Terrapin and find it works very well.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...4&ProductID=69
Old 05-17-17, 12:01 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I am experimenting with a gas tank bag (bento box) atm but would not use one in that application. As someone said, they don't hold much but more importantly, you can take off a HB bag and carry it into cafes and other places. All expensive stuff goes in there and the dry bag only holds clothes and (in your case) shoes. That frees you up to not be so worried about where you park and leave the bike for a while. A bento or frame bag is a bit of a pita to remove and carry with.
Old 05-17-17, 12:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Apidura makes some attractive and attractively priced ultralight bags.

https://www.apidura.com/
Old 05-17-17, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I wouldn't take on a sparsely settled area, if you need to book a string of overnights to stay indoors.
Old 05-17-17, 12:45 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement! I've been thinking about it for over a year, I just need to do it!
Pick a date, and destination for an overnighter. Friend/Family, and a 100 mile rip! Once you've done one, it is simply upgrades (through your own experience), on your set-up/equipment.
I had concerns if I could do my first (19 day) tour. Once done, I couldn't wait to do anything similar.

Enjoy yourself.

-Snuts-
Old 05-17-17, 02:09 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I know, I said "ultra" twice. Maybe minimalist is a better word.

So I'll start off by saying, I like the idea of bike touring, though I haven't really done any long tours. But I'll also say that I don't like logistics very much and I don't like riding with much weight on my bike. I don't even like commuting with a back pack but after trying various frame bags and panniers on my winter beater, I found out I'd rather have the weight on me than my bike. I also prefer riding my light crabon race bike, even on 8+ hr rides.

That being said... I'm thinking about planning some 2 - 3 day tours (that probably doesn't even qualify as a tour to some of you) this summer. 80 to 100 miles / day probably. I'll be staying at Air bnbs or cheap motels and buying most of my food along the way. It will mean one kit, and probably washing it in the shower. I'll also need a slightly bigger saddle bag, one that can hold a pair of Vibram Five Fingers, t shirt, running shorts, pump, tube, patch kit, fiber fix spoke, multi tool, travel size toothpaste and toothbrush. So, three questions I guess.

1) Can any more experienced tourers recommend what size saddle bag I'd need, and maybe even a specific bag?

I'm a fairly experienced cyclist, having ridden several 300ks, more centuries (supported and otherwise) than I can remember, handful of crits, road races, xc mountain bike races. And I'm a pretty competent mechanic, so I think something like this is well within my ability. But I've been wrong before.
I've ridden a bunch of 5-7 day motel tours using a large saddle bag, small bar bag, and small tool bag. Specifically:

Large Saddle Bag This attached directly to my B17 saddlebag loops.
Handlebar Bag
Under-seat Tool Canister

Disclaimer: I really like the Dill Pickle Gear bags. Emily, the owner, is extremely responsive to customizations, and makes a great product.

Generally I take:

2 pairs of bike shorts ( 1 lycra, and a "mountain" short that looks more civilized )
1 jersey
1 pair of off-bike convertible pants ( legs come off to make them into shorts )
1 off-bike nylon shirt ( doesn't get wrinkles )
3 pairs of boxer-briefs for off bike, which fold up REALLY small.

If there's a prediction of rain, I take a packable nylon jacket. These all fit with plenty of room to spare in the saddlebag, to which I add a two-port USB charger, toiletries, Kindle, one spare tube.

The bar bag gets my compact camera and snacks/food for the day.

The tool canister gets a multitool, tube, patch kit, and tire levers. I have a small pump mounted on the bike frame.

All told, the weight including the bags is 10-15 pounds.

It's more than sufficient for a very comfortable ride, and could even be reduced a bit more.
Old 05-17-17, 03:35 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'm a fan of the Arkel Dry-lites for light weight panniers.

- Cpt. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3238-Comp.jpg (96.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 05-17-17, 05:09 PM
vlicon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm just guessing this might work. If you can find a well fitting frame bag, that might be the ticket. You could still use a small saddle bag for repair kit. I'm thinking the weight in the center of the frame wouldn't effect the handling of a carbon frame as much as a handlebar bag or light pannier on a rack. And you won't need to have a sweaty backpack. You're going minimal gear, so the bag could be small.
Anyone tried this? Let me know if my hunch is correct.
Old 05-17-17, 07:22 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
All of my tours have been somewhat minimal, although not to the extent you are proposing.

I aim to carry a total of 18 lbs./ 8 kg. I carry a cycling jersey and padded pants (both of which I wash daily), plus street clothes for the evenings and rest days: one or two T shirts, a pair of lightweight long pants, a pair of short pants, two or three pairs of underwear, two or three pairs of socks, a sweater, a bathing suit, and waterproof jacket and pants.

Then there are toiletries, a small towel, one or two softcover books, first aid kit, sewing kit, sun hat, lightweight walking shoes, sandals, bike shoes. sun glasses, paper and pens, plus a few other items.

I also take fore and aft bicycle lights, a U lock, a few tools and some spare parts. And two water bottles. And food for between-meal snacks. And usually some maps.

Everything fits into two smallish panniers, a day pack (which I strap to my rear rack so I don't have to wear it), a wedge pack for tools (under the seat), and a fanny pack (for my wallet, passport, cell phone, and other valuables.)

Funny... seems like a lot of stuff for "minimalist" cycle touring, but I use everything!

Last edited by acantor; 05-17-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 07:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This guy seems to have it figured out. He takes less for unsupported cross-country touring than I see people taking for century rides.

Apidura bags seem to be the weapon of choice.
Old 05-17-17, 08:49 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
So here's a try at my bare minimum that assumes it's summer and I'm credit carding it, no cooking and staying in hotels or couch surfing. Total weight is 7.5lbs. There's even room left in the Barley saddlebag for quite a bit of food like tortillas, cheese, salami etc and snacks can always be carried in jersey pockets too. I should try this out.

Wallet with cards and money
iPhone, earphones, backup battery and charger
Multitool
Spare tube and patch kit
Pump
Rain jacket
Patagonia long sleeve shirt
Running tights
Socks
Balaclava
Gloves
Shower cap
Small cable lock
First aid kit
Bic lighter
Front and rear lights
Emergency mylar blanket
Toilet kit
Pen and notebook
Nylon backpack (in case I need to carry extra stuff)

On bike or worn (not shown)
2x 1L water bottles
Sunglasses
One set of clothes

Old 05-17-17, 09:04 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I have done some trips like this my needs have varied by the season and weather. So one bag may be big enough for a really warm trip, but if I want to take a fleece and warmer pants/socks it needs to be bigger. I take one pair of really light pants, non zip, just roll them up if I want shorts. As well as a synthetic t-shirt a long sleeve super light shirt by Ex officio looks nicer than a t-shirt alone at a restaurant.

Had one of these and loved it till it got loaned and never returned. Mountain Wedge III Jandd makes good stuff. I liked this better than the stuff sack style backpacking bags because it can be unzipped and dug around in easier. I now use a bag I made that is a bit smaller than a carradice barley. It also fits an emergency hammock, just in case.

I use something like this https://www.randijofab.com/products/bartender-bag These look good and are as good a price as any. Since I sew I make my own, and have more or less stopped using any other handlebar bag. They are good for food, wallet, phone, gloves, bandana, whatever. Think about two if you like the idea. Since they are inside the handlebar they dont seem to affect steering(In my experience).

There will be more little incidentals that will take room, such as phone chargers, razor(I take my own and stay clean shaven on tour, dont like the crap ones you can get from a hotel)Bug spray, deodorant, some tissues for emergency bathroom stops(small packet of wet wipes or ziplock with some tissue)and the like. I may like grooming more than others.
Old 05-17-17, 09:20 PM
Guanto Hilario

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This guy seems to have it figured out. He takes less for unsupported cross-country touring than I see people taking for century rides.

Apidura bags seem to be the weapon of choice.
What a beautiful bike. He said the name of it so fast, did anyone catch it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.