Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

School me on disc brakes... cause apparently I'm out of the loop

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-21-18, 06:18 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

So in short, after an extended time off the bike I decided to finally do something about the one bike in the stable I wasn't happy with - my All City Space Horse. I never trusted the canilever brakes no matter who I or anyone tried to set them up. So on a semi-whim I found and ordered a Surly Straggler frameset (IS mounting setup). As a die-hard Campagnolo user, I first started looking at options of moving over my existing build of 10-sp Veloce, only to find countless articles saying 'mechanical discs are dead, hydraulic is worth it in 2018' - but now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers, and I also all the new generation hydraulic caliper road groups out there from both Campy and those 'S' brands, all use this Flat Mount setup... for which I can find no adapter to IS mount. So, how do I find braking satisfaction on my gravel setup?
Old 12-21-18, 06:43 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
You can use HY-RDs if you modify the lever arms or buy some from Joejack https://www.bikeforums.net/19380601-post77.html
Old 12-21-18, 07:14 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
So in short, after an extended time off the bike I decided to finally do something about the one bike in the stable I wasn't happy with - my All City Space Horse. I never trusted the canilever brakes no matter who I or anyone tried to set them up. So on a semi-whim I found and ordered a Surly Straggler frameset (IS mounting setup). As a die-hard Campagnolo user, I first started looking at options of moving over my existing build of 10-sp Veloce, only to find countless articles saying 'mechanical discs are dead, hydraulic is worth it in 2018' - but now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers, and I also all the new generation hydraulic caliper road groups out there from both Campy and those 'S' brands, all use this Flat Mount setup... for which I can find no adapter to IS mount. So, how do I find braking satisfaction on my gravel setup?
You don't use flat mount. You need a bike frame built for flat-mount to use flat mount. Mech actuated disc performance is a downer compared to nice hydraulics once you're used to hydraulics...but having them isn't the end of the world

That Surly still sells some (new) frames with IS mount...is frankly funny in that not-at-all-funny kind of way. There's still lots of VHS and LaserDisc media out there as well, but time has long since moved on. Shoot, their Midnight Special is flat mount, it isn't like their entire lineup is partying like it is Y2K.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 12-21-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 08:01 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
You can fit a post mount caliper into a flat mount frame but you cannot put a flat mount caliper into anything but a flat mount frame. Post mount can basically go into anything (IS, Flat, etc.) but flat cannot. TRP HY-RD is also not a true hydraulic system. It's a cable actuated caliper that uses hydraulic fluid to move the piston. You are still susceptible to the wear and tear of mechanical brakes when it comes to cable but the breaking is a little smoother because the pistons are moving with fluid. A true hydraulic brake has fluid from beginning to end from the brake lever to the piston.
Old 12-21-18, 08:13 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Welp, that's kinda a kick in the pants way to dive back into a new build after 5 years. Still can't be any more old school tech then Canilivers on new frames...
Old 12-21-18, 08:24 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Welp, that's kinda a kick in the pants way to dive back into a new build after 5 years. Still can't be any more old school tech then Canilivers on new frames...
Well the problem is...there's stuff that is "vintage" and elegant even if "obsolete"...and there's stuff that is new and ginchy. And everything in the abyss in between is neither. People love vinyl today, and people love FLAC or equivalent today....next to no one looks back fondly on DATs or LaserDisc and hordes that stuff, really.

Flat mount is the new "standard", post mount is the recently departed standard--before discs were cantis etc...and in the abyss is I.S.
Old 12-21-18, 08:53 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

So it would seem... who wants to gift me the cash for a custom Kirk Frameworks that's all setup for flat mount?
Old 12-21-18, 09:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Just use mechanical disc. They are anything but dead. Some new bikes that cost $2k are sold with mech brakes.

I am convinced that brakes are the component that is the most over discussed for the benefit/difference between options. <---poorly worded.
I have quality hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike. I have quality canti brakes that are 25 years old on my gravel bike. I've spend good time with mechanical trp spyre disc on a gravel bike.
I would be happy with any of them in terms of performance. And I prefer cable brakes from an aesthetic perspective of the STI levers.

things I care more about than type of brake- shifters, drivetrain gearing, wheelset quality, tire quality, and saddle.
Old 12-22-18, 06:49 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Someone in Canada has made an adapter to fit flat mount brakes on a post mount frame.

https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/
Old 12-22-18, 08:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
I think Paul Components makes some good mechanical disc brakes with IS mount. They are expensive, but probably work pretty well.

Edited to add: I agree with mstateglfr above. Some posters remind me of teens who act as if life would be impossible without cell phones. Those of us who remember the days before cell phones and hydro disc brakes know that neither is essential.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-22-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 08:35 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Mech discs are fine IF you use good components. I have felt some nasty mech discs at a bike shop (on a new bike, not dirty) but they don't have to be that way.
I've got a bike with Avid BB7 road calipers and Jagwire disc specific cables. The brake cable housing must be full length also. Honestly, they feel 90% of hydraulic discs and I can adjust the pad clearance to my taste. This should work fine with your Campy levers.
Old 12-22-18, 04:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
If you overcome your Prejudice against Cable disc brakes, Paul Comp Clamper is a USA made caliper with 3 different actuating lever lengths..
(LP, SP, CP)
shortest of which is made for Campagnolo road brake levers ...
here is the part itself..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-22-18 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 05:11 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
...now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers
Are Campy levers shorter pull than Shimanos? I just got a bike with Hy/Rd brakes and Sora shifters and it works fine.
Old 12-22-18, 06:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Nb:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Are Campy levers shorter pull than Shimanos? I just got a bike with Hy/Rd brakes and Sora shifters and it works fine.
Note my link above yours.. this is why 'the Clamper', has interchangeable actuating arms.. with CP being the shortest..
SP short (Or Shimano?) pull LP is V brake pull ..

Myself , I'm Running Hy Rd with Avid Speed dial MTB levers, dialed way back to the shortest pull adjustment .. that works too...

Old 12-22-18, 08:02 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Joejack has a set of adapter arms for the TRP Hy-Rd on their way to me. Let the new build begin...

(final build parts will depend on if I sell my current gravel/touring setup as a complete bike or parted frameset)
Old 12-22-18, 08:06 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

They almost match... the Surly is a shade darker with a bit more metal flake. And yes, it was more or less intentional.

Old 12-22-18, 08:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Joejack has a set of adapter arms for the TRP Hy-Rd on their way to me. Let the new build begin...

(final build parts will depend on if I sell my current gravel/touring setup as a complete bike or parted frameset)
This looks like it deserves its own build thread as it comes together
Old 12-22-18, 09:00 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
This looks like it deserves its own build thread as it comes together
Done.
Old 12-23-18, 04:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I've got a bike with Avid BB7 road calipers and Jagwire disc specific cables. The brake cable housing must be full length also. Honestly, they feel 90% of hydraulic discs and I can adjust the pad clearance to my taste. This should work fine with your Campy levers.
This^^^

I run the same setup.I would say more like 75% of hydraulics, but definitely better than any cantis I’ve used.

Old 12-23-18, 09:15 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just use mechanical disc. They are anything but dead. Some new bikes that cost $2k are sold with mech brakes.

I am convinced that brakes are the component that is the most over discussed for the benefit/difference between options. <---poorly worded.
I have quality hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike. I have quality canti brakes that are 25 years old on my gravel bike. I've spend good time with mechanical trp spyre disc on a gravel bike.
I would be happy with any of them in terms of performance. And I prefer cable brakes from an aesthetic perspective of the STI levers.

things I care more about than type of brake- shifters, drivetrain gearing, wheelset quality, tire quality, and saddle.
I’m still using cantis and they perform well. I have no doubt disc brakes work better. But a new frame for the sake of brakes is silly to me.
Old 12-23-18, 09:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Shimano XT(R) post mount calipers are the same as the old Ultegra(Dura Ace) post-mount calipers. They are interchangeable. There is no need to get a new frame.
Old 12-23-18, 09:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

I’m still using cantis and they perform well. I have no doubt disc brakes work better. But a new frame for the sake of brakes is silly to me.
yeah, my gravel bike's canti brakes function great, feel responsive, and stop my big self without concern.
funny enough, i certainly dont need a new gravel bike, but plan to build a frame late next year that will have disc brakes.
it isnt solely because of disc brakes that ill build it though. Also want to try a carbon fork and see if I can build a lighter frame than my current one(pretty sure I can).

but not everyone has positive canti brake experiences. Its surprising how many people hate em due to finding proper setup to be difficult. So i can see the appeal of getting a new frame just for disc brakes in this situation.
Old 12-24-18, 09:41 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Well, if anyone is in the market for a canti equipped gravel bike, I have a like-new All-City Space Horse up for sale. 55cm, selling the full bike or frame/wheels/brakes. DFW location, but will ship at cost.