Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My new modern "Classic": Kirk JKS-Classic Terraplane - Arrived - Pg 7 for photos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My new modern "Classic": Kirk JKS-Classic Terraplane - Arrived - Pg 7 for photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 10:05 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
the other option may be a tange t52980. they can be had for either 26mm or 31.8mm bars and it may pull the black and silver together (if you wanted to save getting custom paint)

What a great idea.

I really like the design!
Old 04-04-12, 05:54 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Somehow I doubt Tange's lug work would hold even the smallest candle to Dave's. Cool look, but not for this project. Naw, it'll either be a Ritchey Classic (yes, I'm coming around to all the 'SLIVER!!!" votes, or a WCS 4-axis in bead black or custom painted (most likely one then the other). First though, I'm taking the advice of a wise old shop owner passed on from the previous page and going to ride this thing!
Old 04-04-12, 12:57 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

38mi this morning/afternoon. Only thing missing was the legs and the magic fairy dust to make all winds tail winds. Smoothest bike I've ever ridden, made most minor road imperfections disappear completely, but never felt sluggish (that was all me). Didn't have the legs to really hammer out of the saddle, so those first impressions will have to wait till later, but climbing in the saddle was smooth, as effortless as I could believe a road bike could be. Acceleration was quick, never felt the rear end even hint at loosing grip with the pavement the few times I did stand on the pedals from a stop. Road from my house here in Allen down to Richardson Bike Mart, put it up on their scale, a hare's hair under 19lbs as currently seen above with cages and pedals. Some lightweight climbing wheels, carbon bits and Super Record I could see this thing dropping 2 lbs without going to crazy extremes, but at 19lbs it's plenty light for what "hills" we have around here, even most of what I'd consider traveling to, and is a solid build that will serve me well for a long time to come.

38mi @ 16.9mph. Total time: 2:14:56, max speed 31.8mph, 1100ft climbing.

To quote Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Old 04-04-12, 04:37 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by cuda2k
38mi this morning/afternoon. Only thing missing was the legs and the magic fairy dust to make all winds tail winds. Smoothest bike I've ever ridden, made most minor road imperfections disappear completely, but never felt sluggish (that was all me). Didn't have the legs to really hammer out of the saddle, so those first impressions will have to wait till later, but climbing in the saddle was smooth, as effortless as I could believe a road bike could be. Acceleration was quick, never felt the rear end even hint at loosing grip with the pavement the few times I did stand on the pedals from a stop. Road from my house here in Allen down to Richardson Bike Mart, put it up on their scale, a hare's hair under 19lbs as currently seen above with cages and pedals. Some lightweight climbing wheels, carbon bits and Super Record I could see this thing dropping 2 lbs without going to crazy extremes, but at 19lbs it's plenty light for what "hills" we have around here, even most of what I'd consider traveling to, and is a solid build that will serve me well for a long time to come.

38mi @ 16.9mph. Total time: 2:14:56, max speed 31.8mph, 1100ft climbing.

To quote Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
It's only a matter of time for me.

Thanks again for all of the outstanding pics and info.
Old 04-04-12, 04:54 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I get rich.
Old 04-04-12, 06:37 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Still undecided about the bars. I'll probably swap them out as I was noticing that my hands were getting some numbness (left in particular, but I generally have more numbness problems with it), and I think the angle from the ramps down to the levers are partially to blame. Its not as bad as it was now that the bars are wrapped, but I plan to ride the Fuji tomorrow at the club ride (if my legs feel up to it, otherwise maybe a solo ride) to do a direct comparison.

Beautiful day to ride, winds were not kind to me though, hard push westward on one of my least favorite roads to begin with (Renner Rd, always up hill, always into a head wind it seems, no matter which way you're going or what the wind is doing). However once I got back close to home, took a back road along some horse farms that was just too pretty not to slow it down a bit and enjoy the scenery and the ride.
Old 12-24-18, 07:51 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

How was this over 6 years ago? Better question, where'd the last 6+ years go? I remember unwrapping the Kirk (still the best wrapped frame I've ever seen) like it was yesterday. Unfortunately the last few years has seen me behind a computer screen more than out on the road, too much work, not enough riding. Knee issues took cycling from the stress killer in my life to a stress inducing worry. So why am I resurrecting this age old thread from the depths? Two reasons, Dave recently posted a frame that he'd built for a customer that had to back out from taking delivery of. While I was tempted, in the end, I realized that I hadn't ridden nearly enough to be worthy of a second Kirk hanging on the wall mostly gathering dust, which in turn made me remember just how much I enjoyed every single moment riding the Kirk I did have. Knee issues or not, nothing felt better than clipping into that bike and turning the pedals. So, for 2019, more than 'New Year's Resolution', but a life resolution, I'm getting back on the bike, this one, and all of them. If anyone ever wondered, this bike remains the best purchase probably of my entire life - maybe only second to my wife's wedding set. Maybe.
Old 12-24-18, 10:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Still one of the threads I've remembered over and over.

Where did Dave post that frame, his site?
Old 12-25-18, 09:22 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Still one of the threads I've remembered over and over.

Where did Dave post that frame, his site?
The one for sale? I posted it on Facebook and Instagram I know, not sure about his site. I'd be in real danger if I went by there. Told myself a half dozen times I wouldn't even ask what his price on it would be, but did it anyways. Ultimately I decided on an inexpensive Surly Straggler frameset to build up for my first experience with a disc all-road setup, see how much saddle time it got along with the other bikes. First plan is to get some better tires on the Gazelle (awful Forte 28mm's on there at the moment from years ago), get the Straggler built up (Campagnolo, what else?) and get a new helmet (5+ years, its time) - then find that fitness that I've lost along the way. My photography adventures are taking me further off the beaten path and getting back in better shape will help those aims as well.
Old 12-25-18, 09:27 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Old 12-25-18, 09:27 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Welcome back, would like to see more pics of the Kirk on the road.
Old 12-25-18, 09:30 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Vonruden
Thank you! Just posted a couple of my most recent (still not very recent) shots of the bike out and about. Don't have a small point and shoot camera any more that's easy to operate on the bike, might need to add one to the kit this year, one thing that cellphone aren't all that great at (nor are full sized DSLRs!)
Old 12-25-18, 10:56 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Vonruden
+1

Beautiful bike and it was a great thread.
Old 12-25-18, 12:03 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice to see this thread back on page 1. Now, where were we?

Old 12-25-18, 04:49 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice to see this thread back on page 1. Now, where were we?
Nice to see some faces still around here that remember it (and me) from the first time it was on page 1.
Old 12-27-18, 01:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nice to see some faces still around here that remember it (and me) from the first time it was on page 1.
You and Benny? were great hosts at NAHBS Austin. Bike city, Bike event, Bike people. You gave us a great tour. @bigbossman gave @junkfoodjunkie to the UT cops, and I think I almost managed to put @Scooper under a bus. Still on the forums here somewhere....even video.

Austin. I saw a Pinarello Montello in the bike rack next to a Howdy Doody cruiser. Only in Austin.
Old 12-27-18, 02:07 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Can't see the pics in #210....anyone else?
Old 12-27-18, 04:52 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Welcome back! Have fun riding in the coming year!
Old 12-27-18, 04:53 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
same here
Old 12-27-18, 08:35 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by clubman
Originally Posted by mkeller234

same here
I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-27-18, 08:37 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You and Benny? were great hosts at NAHBS Austin. Bike city, Bike event, Bike people. You gave us a great tour. @bigbossman gave @junkfoodjunkie to the UT cops, and I think I almost managed to put @Scooper under a bus. Still on the forums here somewhere....even video.

Austin. I saw a Pinarello Montello in the bike rack next to a Howdy Doody cruiser. Only in Austin.
geez, almost had forgotten about the bus incident, I do remember having to jump off and walk the last third of that 'wall' we found riding through one of those neighborhoods. Forge what gearing I had on the Gazelle back then, but wasn't enough when I lost momentum.
Old 12-28-18, 07:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

geez, almost had forgotten about the bus incident, I do remember having to jump off and walk the last third of that 'wall' we found riding through one of those neighborhoods. Forge what gearing I had on the Gazelle back then, but wasn't enough when I lost momentum.
Yep, and @quotient scampered right up that thing. Definitely an uh-oh moment, couldn't grab cogs fast enough....green Gazelle, if I recall.
Old 12-29-18, 10:31 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

White and blue.