Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cuda's Adventure Build Mk.II - Surly Straggler build

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cuda's Adventure Build Mk.II - Surly Straggler build

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 01:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Figured it was a long shot, but wanted to check since you are here in Iowa. Its the only time ive seen this same bike(the paint scheme is memorable).
Fantastic paint, btw. Love the off-white with late 70s/early80s accent colors and pattern. It reminds me of about 6 different road bikes from that period.

I was there, and don't care to relive the 70s. That's why I bought the Space Horse when it was available in the black/silver paint job. Bland, but inoffensive.
Old 01-16-19, 08:38 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Wheels arrived, tires/tubes and front derailleur also in. Hoping to get a call from the bike shop on the frame by the weekend, but I can at least wrap the wheels in some rubber and get the rotors installed. Come to think of it, the cassette is still unaccounted for, need to go track down that order and find the tracking number. Shifters and jTek will probably be the last pieces in, but those are coming from across the Atlantic.
Old 01-16-19, 08:53 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Originally Posted by gus6464
With All-City it baffles me why some of their frames like the Macho King have tapered headtubes but the GM is not tapered. Then they put QR spacing on the MK but TA on the GM. I would totally own either of those two frames if it wasn't for those weird design choices.
Tapered is likely to the tubeset and fork choice, GM is their 612 tubing and steel fork, same as the Space Horse, seeing those TA dropouts and fork make me suspect that a TA version of the Space Horse could be not too far down the road. If I recall, the MK was one of their first 'upgraded' framesets, 631 steel, carbon fork, so the tapered makes sense (the Cosmic Stallion has the same), but being a slightly older design still has QR setup. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go TA in a model year or two either. When you look at the whole picture and realize that the entire line isn't going to get a revamp every year, its not all that baffling.
Old 01-18-19, 11:27 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
With All-City it baffles me why some of their frames like the Macho King have tapered headtubes but the GM is not tapered. Then they put QR spacing on the MK but TA on the GM. I would totally own either of those two frames if it wasn't for those weird design choices.
The Macho King is a race bike specced with a carbon fork. Hence tapered head tube.
The Gorilla Monsoon comes with a steel fork. Hence non-tapered.
I'm sure the QR thing is just a drag in getting up to date, and not wanting to lose sales to people with outdated QR wheelsets. The Macho King is an old model whereas they started fresh with the Gorilla Monsoon. Pretty common on the bigger "boutique" brand groups like QBP and Merry Sales.
Old 01-18-19, 10:08 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

bars, seat post and several other parts still haven't arrived, been probably 10 years since I ordered from Jenson, after this, might be another 10 years. FML.
Old 01-26-19, 08:22 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Frame finally arrived after a couple delays. Unfortunately the delays to the rest of my parts continues so I could only get so far with the build today.

Old 01-29-19, 07:07 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Last part order is **finally** on its way. Crossing fingers for getting them before Saturday - forecast says rain, I could get this thing ready for a spin by the time it dries out on Sunday!
Old 01-31-19, 09:09 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Looking good! Hope you get to take it out over the weekend.
Old 02-01-19, 10:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Cuda, I'll be interested to see how this turns out, and to see the final weight, if you can post it. I'm currently deciding whether to buy a new (lighter) gravel bike or just upgrade my Space Horse to make it lighter.

Like you, I prefer the SH's geometry -- high stack, low reach. Nice and comfy for my aging and damaged back. I'm having a hard time finding a new cf-framed gravel bike with similar geo.
Old 02-02-19, 09:31 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Koyote
Cuda, I'll be interested to see how this turns out, and to see the final weight, if you can post it. I'm currently deciding whether to buy a new (lighter) gravel bike or just upgrade my Space Horse to make it lighter.

Like you, I prefer the SH's geometry -- high stack, low reach. Nice and comfy for my aging and damaged back. I'm having a hard time finding a new cf-framed gravel bike with similar geo.
I'll get it weighed when it gets done. I'm trying to recall what the old canti build came out to, I'd have to do some searching to see if I can find it.

Build is coming along slowly. A few setbacks - a frayed/broken rear derailleur cable yesterday, and now some cable housing/cable length issues getting back to the rear brake. Forgot that Campagnolo has smaller sized ends for the brake cables than Shimano/SRAM. So had to track down a cable for the rear, the front I can use the Campy rear cable that came with the shifters.

Good news is that I have the front and rear derailleurs shifting quite nicely, in fact I think the rear is better than the front at the moment - the ultra-compact crank is pushing the limits of what I can get the Athena 11sp derailleur to play nicely with.

crank and front derailleur

rear with shiftmate
Old 02-02-19, 09:35 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Really like my decision to put the shiftmate inline in the middle of the rear segment of housing instead of the other option to put it right at the cable stop on the chainstay. This should keep it up away from dirt/dust/mud/etc a bit more than right on the lower side of the chainstay. Also gave me a little flexibility (literally) when getting the cable positioned correctly. Shifts are good, maybe not Campagnolo paired derailleur good, but they are accurate and quiet.