Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 08:03 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Welcome to the forum OGJ! Where are you located at?
I live in North Richland Hills, Texas, located in the "mid-cities" between Dallas and Fort Worth.
Old 03-29-19, 08:28 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
46F and clear this morning. It's one of those weird days where no matter what the thermometer says, I can't get warm. I'm feeling pretty good, though. Strava seems to think this is the right amount of effort for this week to improve fitness, so there's that. I'm debating with myself whether I want to upgrade my tires and saddle this weekend. We'll see how I feel after the 10k I'm running tomorrow.
Old 03-29-19, 08:56 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff
About 15 MPH south wind this morning. Good thing I am riding mostly west to east. Commute about 14.5 miles each way. Generally finish in about 60 to 65 minutes. I did not take the MUP this morning as there are a number of dog walkers and such that have no lighting of any sort...let alone the rabbits, skunks, and possible coyotes that inhabit sections of the trail. I have a very good headlight that lets me see quite a ways ahead, but rabbits will run right along with you and then suddenly cut across the trail.
Anyway, I took to the streets (three lanes wide, no shoulders, 50 MPH traffic) this morning and was only honked at 4 or 5 times. At least no one ran over me.
unlike me, at least bike is fixed and driver is paying the costs since i had green light
Old 03-29-19, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
unlike me, at least bike is fixed and driver is paying the costs since i had green light
Glad to hear it. Looked like the wheel was partially taco'ed, was that the only damage?
Old 03-29-19, 10:01 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
45F, mist, and a 15mph headwind on the way in. I was soaked and beat by the time I got to work, but not cold. No traffic drama.
Old 03-29-19, 11:16 AM
phile

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Glad to hear it. Looked like the wheel was partially taco'ed, was that the only damage?
Rim broke so got new rim fork apparently needed a bit of straightening and there was some minor damage near crank set. Now that i got it back i also received the last sticker pack i was waiting for.

So i did this.

Last edited by phile; 03-29-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 06:27 AM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Messy, but sunny!... had a doctor's appointment before work, so needed to park in the street, so drove my "expendable-can-park-it-in-the-street" red Trek FX 7.6 the 4km there... drove it back home - with a mixed plan of either taking my carbon flatbar to the office (where I bring it inside, next to my desk) or getting a coffee and a bus to the train... I had the urge so opted for the coffee and bus... it so happens that the city rail system was inoperative due to a union strike - so had to reroute to a 2nd bus instead of transferring by train... but due to the trains not going - the second bus was heavily congested... so I ended up walking 10 mins from the transfer stop to the station - where I grabbed one of the 25kmph electric public city bikes (that I have a subscription for... $6/month!) the rest of the way to the office. And I still made it in good time, the ease of getting around Copenhagen is really one of the key perks of living here. Should probably note that I could literally walk to the office from home in about 40 minutes... so each of these rides was like a ~1-2km / 5 minute affair.

Last edited by nuxx; 04-01-19 at 06:27 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-01-19, 07:39 AM
pdlamb

After the warm weekend, up into the 70s!, it was freezing again this morning. I'm getting tired of bringing in the second pannier just to pack all the warm clothes I need to ride in in the morning, so I can take them home when it's warm in the afternoon, only to repeat the next day. Grr.

But it was bright, crisp and clear, the wind was either a tailwind or not too strong, and the pink cherries are blooming now that the white ones are gone. Redbuds are still here, and the dogwoods are coming out. Traffic drama was only, "Can I make that next light?" so a peaceful morning ride.
Old 04-01-19, 07:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yeah, cold here as well after a lovely warm weekend. Par for the course.
Old 04-01-19, 08:32 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,506 Times in 1,396 Posts
Lovely commute this morning. No complaints!

Old 04-01-19, 05:43 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Seeing more and more of the Cit-E (electric) bikes around here. Or maybe they are just more noticeable because they are going curiously fast.

I'm making the prediction here and now (mostly for you @noglider), they will become an "issue" by the end of the summer, with the general public and/or city deciding that some sort of intervention is needed.
Old 04-01-19, 06:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Phile, I like your stickerbomb. I just discovered a brand here in Sacramento called Squid Bikes and yours makes me think of them.
Old 04-01-19, 08:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Seeing more and more of the Cit-E (electric) bikes around here. Or maybe they are just more noticeable because they are going curiously fast.

I'm making the prediction here and now (mostly for you @noglider), they will become an "issue" by the end of the summer, with the general public and/or city deciding that some sort of intervention is needed.
Well, it is quite absurd that ebikes are not legal in NYC yet, but the city must know that Citi Bike is deploying them rapidly. And you're not imagining it. They are coming out in large numbers. But exactly what problem do you foresee that will need an intervention?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-19, 01:04 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Phile, I like your stickerbomb. I just discovered a brand here in Sacramento called Squid Bikes and yours makes me think of them.
thanks, gonna check out the brand during lunch break

as for topic:

had a bit of trouble at first with ipod in pocket but once i switched it to backpack side pocket commute was fine. Brought rain gear with me as rain is expected by the time i head back home
Old 04-02-19, 06:16 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I've been riding, jut hadn't been able to post here. Good week last week with 135 miles - highest for this year. Monday afternoon was a rainy, but warm enough ride home. Friday morning I went to work early and rode by a high school that was starting soon. I saw tons of kids walking toward the school. Kind of suprised to see that many because I didn't think the neighborhood they were coming from was big enough to have that many. Also saw several of them crossing with no crosswalk. I waved two girls to cross ahead of me, but then warned to watch their right as a car coming from the other direction wasn't slowing at first. It did, but that's just a bad area every morning I guess.

Cool mornings here still. Right at or just under freezing yesterday and today.
Old 04-02-19, 06:51 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Great commute this morning. Around 38 degrees and no wind to speak of. Saw 6 little bunnies and saw my first coyote on the trail this morning. The trail I ride is a paved, striped MUP that runs through the backside of many neighborhoods before it comes out and runs alongside some main roads. So, a lot of the houses have back fence entrances onto the trail. Always watching for early morning joggers, dog walkers, etc..
However, nothing to complain about. I am grateful the city provides and maintains the trail.
Old 04-02-19, 07:05 AM
pdlamb

oldgeezerjeff, love that tag line!

My ride in was nice. Half an hour after official sunrise, when I left, the sun was just about to come over the ridge to the east. It was comforting to hit a patch of sunlight as I heard a vehicle behind me -- no way they're going to miss the bright yellow with the sun hitting that reflective strip! Then it was back into shadow, hop-scotching between "no sun yet" and patches of sun until I got through downtown. For no chance it'll rain last night, the shower that came through knocked the pollen down nicely, and it was calm so it hadn't been replenished this morning.

I wasn't sure I was recovered for a fast ride until I saw the green turn signal on the "long light" from 200 yards back. Yes, I can push and ride hard, and yes, I made the green.
Old 04-02-19, 07:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive commute number 727: Ride to the office for the morning, ride to meet my wife for lunch, ride to a client for the afternoon and then home for a total of about 21 miles.

This morning was chilly. 26F with a light drizzly mist in the air. Not really rain, but just enough moisture to make things damp and really put a chill in the air. It snowed a little last night, so there was some accumulation on the ground in spots and areas of ice. After the long winter I'm so sick of the winter bike with studded tires that I decided to just risk it with my hybrid. Was able to ride around the obvious slick spots and kept the bike upright, so it's all good.

Google lied to me. It said I would have a 7 mph headwind on the way in today. As I was riding I kept thinking, "This feels a lot more than 7 mph." When I pulled into our office the flags were sticking straight out at me. It suddenly made sense why I was feeling a little cold.

Nearly three weeks after our flood event a good portion of the MUP is still underwater. The river is down about two feet from what it was a week ago, but still well above flood stage. I'm still riding alternate routes to avoid the flooded areas. Last Friday they did open 11 miles of the MUP on the west side of town where it's higher, so this morning I was able to ride about a mile on that section. The city is discussing cleanup plans for the parks/MUP once the flood waters to finally recede, as they've been underwater long enough that I think it will take some heavy equipment work to remove the layer of mud that will likely be covering everything.
Old 04-02-19, 07:50 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
59F and clear. Now this is the kind of morning commute weather I can endorse!

Buuuut... I installed my new saddle this weekend and made the mistake of only taking a cursory ride to check the adjustment. I eyeballed the leveling and just made sure my front-back position was the same. On the way in today, I was definitely uncomfortable and was sliding backwards a ton. I pulled out a level app when I got to work, and the nose of the seat is 11 degrees up (!!!!). I'm kicking myself for not throwing my tools in the bag today to adjust it.
Old 04-02-19, 08:25 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo

They're already an issue here and the problem is their speed on MUP's. Besides my envy that they easily travel in excess of 15mph with little effort, we saw last summer that they can be a menace in high traffic areas. We also now have electric scooters which the city has decided are allowed on MUP's and in bike lanes even though signs clearly say "no powered vehicles allowed."
Old 04-02-19, 09:49 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Commuting from Long Island today because I took the folding bike out yesterday to get the gardens ready for planting. This morning I got on the bike at 5 AM, leaving plenty of time to catch the 5:25 train... and discovered that my rear tire had gone flat. Straight back into the house, where I extracted a tiny piece of wire from the tire, put in a new tube, and eventually caught the 6:37 train. Sheesh, it's cold out there!
Old 04-02-19, 10:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Today is 5 weeks post-op. My recovery is really on a plateau. I'd like to go back to work soon. I think that will happen on the 15th or maybe earlier if I go stir crazy.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-02-19, 11:35 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Well, it is quite absurd that ebikes are not legal in NYC yet, but the city must know that Citi Bike is deploying them rapidly. And you're not imagining it. They are coming out in large numbers. But exactly what problem do you foresee that will need an intervention?
Just the easy speed. I've seen enough close calls and bonehead moves from regular Citi Bike riders to believe that the added speed is only going to exacerbate the situation. I know that it's not THAT fast for you and me, but some of the riders I see look anything but prepared to react to the unexpected, and let's not even get into those talking on or using their phones.

As I said, when they catch my eye the first thought that usually occurs is, "that guy is really moving along." As in, their speed seems disproportionate to the situation, and they don't look at all like they realize that.
Old 04-02-19, 11:53 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Uneventful commute again today. I swapped the knobby winter tires I'd been using with some lighter slicks. I can't say I rode any faster, but in a 15-20mph headwind it's the difference between "I'm pretty sure I'll make it home OK" and "I could keep riding like this for 3 days". On a lunchtime ride I remembered that I should stay away from loose sand with these tires, which was good, but I didn't remember until after I rode through some loose sand and just about spilled. It didn't look like anybody saw me. It's somewhere in the 50s, clear skies, south breeze.
Old 04-02-19, 12:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@Phamilton, sand has been the cause of my last several crashes. It terrifies me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.